or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Experience 88, but what length for me?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Experience 88, but what length for me?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

I'm coming off the Solomon BBR's... 176... noticed they discontinued the ski from their line up this year :( ... Anyone.  I want to pick up Experience 88, just not sure to go for 172 or 180... either bigger or small than my BBR's and I was happy with the BBR length...

 

I'm 5'10 and 1/2 I weight 180 now but usually weight around 170.... So I seem to be at an in between size... Should I go shorter or longer? I ski all mountain, piste, off piste and I'm living in Revelstoke.

post #2 of 18
I think the 180 would be my choice.
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 

Why?

post #4 of 18
Where you ski and your stats. The 180 will float better in soft snow than the shorter ski and will still be a good carver on firm days.
post #5 of 18
This is not any expert advice but just as a reference I'm 5'8" 150 and ski the 173 blizzard bushwacker
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulharin View Post
 

I'm coming off the Solomon BBR's... 176... noticed they discontinued the ski from their line up this year :( ... Anyone.  I want to pick up Experience 88, just not sure to go for 172 or 180... either bigger or small than my BBR's and I was happy with the BBR length...

 

I'm 5'10 and 1/2 I weight 180 now but usually weight around 170.... So I seem to be at an in between size... Should I go shorter or longer? I ski all mountain, piste, off piste and I'm living in Revelstoke.

 

I'm 5'9.5" and 180 to 190, about Kulharin's size, and I too think I'm between sizes with the new Experience 88s.  For an 88 waist ski, I also like the 175 - 177 lengths.

 

That said, long for stability and flotation, and go short for maneuverability.  If you like going fast on groomers & ski wide open bowls, go long.  If you like skiing bumps and that difficult, technical terrain, go short.

 

I will be in the market for a pair of 85 to 90 mm waist skis myself in a couple of years.  I'll still demo the Experience 88, but it will be interesting to see how I feel about the 172 & 180 lengths.  Other skis I'm considering, and I like the lengths, include the Head Monster 88 (177), Volkl RTM 86 (177), the new Elan Amphibio 88 XTI (176), and the Fischer Motive 86 (175).

post #7 of 18

I am 5'10", but a little lighter than you, and I have always preferred the 180cm in the Experience 88.  For me personally I find it a bit too light at the 172cm length.  It's quick and nimble, but doesn't provide the stability and confidence on groomers I'm looking for out of a ski like the Experience 88.  I really, really enjoy skiing the 180cm.  To me it's one of the most fun, smooth, confidence inspiring mid-fats on the market (if we can even call 88mm "mid-fat" anymore... :dunno)

post #8 of 18

I'm 5' 4" about 145 and I like 180's in just about every ski. I have a carver that is 163 that I haven't skied in a decade, but everything else is 180-183. The marketing departments of ski manufacturers change the size ranges to entice more sales. A ski can be measured many ways. Contact point to contact point, tip to tail, tip to contact point or tail to contact point. That is why you get 180's one season and 183"s the next in the same model. Factories are not spending money retooling for that. They simply change the way they measure the ski. That doesn't cost them a dime in the design and production costs. Don't get too hung up on technicalities. If it skis good for you, that is what really matters.

post #9 of 18

180 because 172 is WAY too short for your weight where you ski.  

post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfan View Post
 

180 because 172 is WAY too short for your weight where you ski. 

Agreed. 172 is short IMO for the OP. Although, many would say that I ski a ski that is too long for my height, weight and age. Interesting. Is it better to err on the long side or the short side for an all mountain ski like the 88? My tendency is to the long side because my strength, speed and ambition will increase through the season and I want to have a ski that can keep up when the bigger terrain fills in and I have a chance to reality check what lies between my ears.

post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by offpiste View Post
 

Agreed. 172 is short IMO for the OP. Although, many would say that I ski a ski that is too long for my height, weight and age. Interesting. Is it better to err on the long side or the short side for an all mountain ski like the 88? My tendency is to the long side because my strength, speed and ambition will increase through the season and I want to have a ski that can keep up when the bigger terrain fills in and I have a chance to reality check what lies between my ears.

 

At 5'4" & 145lbs with the tendency to mention strength, speed and ambition in one post I'd say you are on the right ski.

 

 

post #12 of 18

Kulharin,

 

You mentioned you are coming off BBR's.  I've skied both the 88 and BBR. The BBR's ski very short.  They have a wacky turn initiation, loads of fun.  Somewhat of a clown ski. Going to the 88 will be a significant change, for the good, IMO.  The reason BBR's were dropped may be that they are more fun than good.

 

The 88's are a spectacular ski. They will do both mellow skidding and serious carving, comfortably.  Bust crud instead of the BBR flight over it. It may take a few runs to get used to them and a lesson or two to exploit them.  You will likely REALLY appreciate the 88's after a half-dozen days +.  Two very different skis. 

post #13 of 18
180cm 88 should be around a 17m tr. Quick edge to edge.
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfan View Post
 

 

At 5'4" & 145lbs with the tendency to mention strength, speed and ambition in one post I'd say you are on the right ski.

 

 

Yeah, long works for me, but back in the straight ski days, I was skiing 200cm P-20's. I'm curious now if newer/younger skiers in general tend toward shorter lengths and if they do, is it due to marketing, technology, skiing style or do you think it's a generational thing?

post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfan View Post
 

Kulharin,

 

You mentioned you are coming off BBR's.  I've skied both the 88 and BBR. The BBR's ski very short.  They have a wacky turn initiation, loads of fun.  Somewhat of a clown ski. Going to the 88 will be a significant change, for the good, IMO.  The reason BBR's were dropped may be that they are more fun than good.

 

The 88's are a spectacular ski. They will do both mellow skidding and serious carving, comfortably.  Bust crud instead of the BBR flight over it. It may take a few runs to get used to them and a lesson or two to exploit them.  You will likely REALLY appreciate the 88's after a half-dozen days +.  Two very different skis. 

 

If that's the case shouldn't I go for a 172 since I'm used to skiing on the BBR's exclusively for essentially 4 full seasons? Or I'll have more longterm enjoyment and versatility out of the 180's, skiing all mountain at Revelstoke?

post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulharin View Post
 

 

If that's the case shouldn't I go for a 172 since I'm used to skiing on the BBR's exclusively for essentially 4 full seasons? Or I'll have more longterm enjoyment and versatility out of the 180's, skiing all mountain at Revelstoke?

That.

 

The BBR's may have limited you somewhat.  They are fun and easy to ski but not very good at speed nor very stable or damp.  Get the 180's and don't look back.  Your skiing will improve and your enjoyment of a larger percentage of the ski hill will be the result.  You are not a small guy...no need for a small ski.

post #17 of 18
Thread Starter 

Ok thanks!

post #18 of 18
Thread Starter 

How would they compare with these skis?

 

http://www.salomon.com/au/product/q-90-1.html?article=376052

 

They seem to be quite similar but the Salomon look to be substantially lighter; 4200grams vs 3280 grams

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Experience 88, but what length for me?