or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Snowsports Video, Photography, Software and Graphics › buying a new phone; which one will yield best videos on snow?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

buying a new phone; which one will yield best videos on snow? - Page 3

post #61 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-D View Post

Personally i use a GoPro in 1080 and use the GoPro app on my phone(Galaxy S-5-active) to pretty much do everything with it, including starting, stopping and controlling the camara with the phone so i never have to touch the camara. There are also apps in the play store to edit and do pretty much everything else. However, it is not exactly the low cost option.
And FWIW, I skied all over the high elev. (12,500+ft.)in summit county without a problem with altitude or temperature with the phone or the GoPro. My $.02 worth for the discussion.
post #62 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFeet View Post
 

I am finally going to get my first smartphone.  I know nothing about these contraptions.
I want something I can use to take on-the-spot videos when instructing on the hill.  At this point I am thinking of getting an iPhone 6 of some sort.  

I am a dedicated Mac user, but am willing to shift to a non-apple product if there's a big advantage in doing so.

 

Suggestions for which phones make the best videos for instructional purposes? 


Forget that and just get a video camera.  If your not planing on skiing and shooting at the same time the smaller cheaper ones will be fine.  If you want to follow cam you need a cam with optical stabilization.  The Go-Pro may be your best bet for cheep and stable. 

post #63 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by razie View Post
 

I use a small camcorder. never really made it work with the phone - the zoom is a necessity unless youre just following the skier, on a green.

 

I have a canon hf r300 - small and fits in a pocket - I tend to have it with me at all times. battery life is crap though, but there's many cheap spare batteries on ebay.

 

what would be interesting is the new models that have wifi - so you could display the videos on a phone?


See, this is more the ticket here, but always use Canon batteries.  The cheap aftermarket batteries are pure junk and go dead fast and can even harm the cam.  My small Cannon fits in a pocket easy.  If you want to view right away the screens are big enough to see.

post #64 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post

 

Given that I couldn't even manage to post to Epicski from a charilift the last time I tried, its not something I'd want to try on the ride up.

 

Using a phone on a lift at all is a little risky. I've almost dropped mine (actually, did drop it, but pinned it against my leg as it fell and managed to not have it fall completely off the lift :eek)

 

I may have to rig up some kind of wrist strap this year - I don't usually use any kind of case, but maybe that would be a reason to use one.

post #65 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post


See, this is more the ticket here, but always use Canon batteries.  The cheap aftermarket batteries are pure junk and go dead fast and can even harm the cam.  My small Cannon fits in a pocket easy.  If you want to view right away the screens are big enough to see.
That is why i use the app on my phone with the Gopro, as a viewfinder. Although is has a split-second delay because of the wifi connection i assume. With the camera mounted on your head and then lined up using the viewfinder on your phone the camera sees what you see, makes for good steady and centered video and or pictures/burst mode and what not.
post #66 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post

 

Given that I couldn't even manage to post to Epicski from a charilift the last time I tried, its not something I'd want to try on the ride up.

 

Using a phone on a lift at all is a little risky. I've almost dropped mine (actually, did drop it, but pinned it against my leg as it fell and managed to not have it fall completely off the lift :eek)

 

I may have to rig up some kind of wrist strap this year - I don't usually use any kind of case, but maybe that would be a reason to use one.

I bought one of those cheap snap on plastic "fashion" cases at a mall kiosk.  I was able to thread the thin cord from a USB Thumbdrive lanyard through a couple of the port-access holes and still snap it on.  I added a little duct tape to make sure the halves don't come un-snapped.  (And to add a nice fashion touch!)

 

Before I found that (I have a not-very-popular model, so there aren't many) I was considering epoxying a loop to the phone.

post #67 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post

I bought one of those cheap snap on plastic "fashion" cases at a mall kiosk.  I was able to thread the thin cord from a USB Thumbdrive lanyard through a couple of the port-access holes and still snap it on.  I added a little duct tape to make sure the halves don't come un-snapped.  (And to add a nice fashion touch!)

Before I found that (I have a not-very-popular model, so there aren't many) I was considering epoxying a loop to the phone.
Ya gotta do...what ya gotta do. Just as long as it works. I'll try anything if it means saving money and gets me on the sticks quicker. Without having to waste time digging in the snow looking for a lost item. I buy those cheap 1"-2" carabiner clips to clip everything to a D-ring in my jacket pocket(phone or gloves) anything i might be messing with and don't want to drop while on the lift.
post #68 of 77
Thread Starter 

There is some version of this thing that will hold a cell phone.  But I don't want this; too much trouble for too little payback.

 

post #69 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFeet View Post

There is some version of this thing that will hold a cell phone.  But I don't want this; too much trouble for too little payback.


Is why i suggested a GoPro video camera. Shoots video in 1080 and is about the size of a pack of smokes with all kinds of mounting brackets, helmet mounts, chest mounts and to many to others to name.
post #70 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-D View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post


See, this is more the ticket here, but always use Canon batteries.  The cheap aftermarket batteries are pure junk and go dead fast and can even harm the cam.  My small Cannon fits in a pocket easy.  If you want to view right away the screens are big enough to see.
That is why i use the app on my phone with the Gopro, as a viewfinder. Although is has a split-second delay because of the wifi connection i assume. With the camera mounted on your head and then lined up using the viewfinder on your phone the camera sees what you see, makes for good steady and centered video and or pictures/burst mode and what not.


Yea, that's nice.  I don't use a Go-Pro.  That's nice that you can review footage that way.  I started with a Canon HF R10.  Fit in a pocket easy.  Same size as all the smaller "Handy-Cams".

Now I use a Canon HF G30 with their wide lens.  It's super awesome for stable shooting on the move without any gimbals etc.  I use it hand held!   Easy to use with gloves, just won't fit in a pocket!
Just for kicks, here is a video of it in action.  All hand held.  When it gets really bouncy you see a bit of shake, but no post stabilization here at all.
 

post #71 of 77

I have a dedicated HD camcorder; it's small enough to fit in a pocket, has great optics, and was very reasonably priced ($150 used, in great condition, from B&H).  However, I find it's difficult to use for skiing because the LCD viewfinder washes out in bright sun, even with a hood, making it hard to find and follow the skier.  Not sure how a smartphone would be.  Therefore, if you do decide to go with a dedicated camcorder at some point, I'd recommend one with an optical viewfinder.   Alas, optical viewfinders are only found on prosumer and pro models, and these are expensive.

post #72 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
 

I have a dedicated HD camcorder; it's small enough to fit in a pocket, has great optics, and was very reasonably priced ($150 used, in great condition, from B&H).  However, I find it's difficult to use for skiing because the LCD viewfinder washes out in bright sun, even with a hood, making it hard to find and follow the skier.  Not sure how a smartphone would be.  Therefore, if you do decide to go with a dedicated camcorder at some point, I'd recommend one with an optical viewfinder.   Alas, optical viewfinders are only found on prosumer and pro models, and these are expensive.


With some practice the camera can be aimed without the use of the viewfinder or screen.  

post #73 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
 


With some practice the camera can be aimed without the use of the viewfinder or screen.  


For general scenery shots, yes.  But note that the OP is using this for MA, which means s/he wants the skier to fill most of the screen, not be a small object on a snowfield.    That means you need to use the zoom, zooming out as the skier approaches, and zooming in as the skier passes.   I'm skeptical that, without a screen or viewfinder, you can aim a camcorder precisely enough to keep a moving object in the frame while zoomed in on it.

post #74 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
 


With some practice the camera can be aimed without the use of the viewfinder or screen.  


For general scenery shots, yes.  But note that the OP is using this for MA, which means s/he wants the skier to fill most of the screen, not be a small object on a snowfield.    That means you need to use the zoom, zooming out as the skier approaches, and zooming in as the skier passes.   I'm skeptical that, without a screen or viewfinder, you can aim a camcorder precisely enough to keep a moving object in the frame while zoomed in on it.


Yes, zooming will change the aim factor.  Zooming will amplify the shake factor as well.

post #75 of 77

If MA is the goal then it is hard to beat a camcorder with optical optical stabilization, optical zoom, and a viewfinder. When using a device with an LCD you typically hold the device away from the eyes which makes it much harder to hold steady.

post #76 of 77
If only occasionally shooting some video in a pinch is all you need, the iPhone will work fine. My golf pro regularly uses an iPad now for it. They are surprisingly capable. With super slow modes and hi res video modes that are often only in expensive video cameras. That being said, if you plan to video a lot, I'm with ST, use a real camera. The optical zoom is huge, stabilization, easier to hold in your hand. You can follow a skier and video easier, etc. but the iPhone works great for occasional shooting if you practice with it. I don't feel the wide angle lenses on GoPros and iPhones are the best for shooting analytical ski video. Most of the time when you video someone to analyze, you are a ways down the hill waiting for them. The wide angle lens on GoPros and smartphones makes them look too far away for that purpose. So you need to be able to zoom in a bit. GoPros and smart phones don't have optical zoom.

The wide angle lens works better when you are following close right behind someone or mounting a camera on your head and need to be able to take in the scene without having to point the camera at exactly the right spot. But as soon as the subject is 30 feet away it starts to be a little far for good MA.

Ideally you can get good at doing a slow zoomout as the skier skis towards you such that it appears the same distance the whole time, but that takes practice and it's hard to do on a smart phone. You often can't see the display well enough in bright light to do theat well either. Plus it will be digital zoom rather then optical, which means pixilation.
post #77 of 77

Actual video cam is always best.  More from a hand held Canon HF-G30

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Snowsports Video, Photography, Software and Graphics › buying a new phone; which one will yield best videos on snow?