or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Stöckli Scale Skis...?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stöckli Scale Skis...?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
...Have any bears tried them out yet?

There are four groups within the Scale Series, Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and Delta, covering from 72 to 84mm underfoot...frontside to narrow AM categories.

What's interesting is their sizing... For each of the four groups, the width underfoot gets wider by 1mm as the length increases by 10mm, while the tip and tail widths stay the same. Each group comes in four lengths in 10 cm increments from XS, S, M, to L.

Alpha (XS=151cm) 73, 73, 74, 75mm
Beta (XS=153cm) 75, 76, 77, 78mm
Gamma (XS=155cm) 78, 79, 80, 81mm
Delta (XS=157cm) 81, 82, 83, 84mm

post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nochaser View Post



What's interesting is their sizing... For each of the four groups, the width underfoot gets wider by 1mm as the length increases by 10mm, while the tip and tail widths stay the same. Each group comes in four lengths in 10 cm increments from XS, S, M, to L.
 

 

 

Nice, so they're actually designing for greater weight to bend each one proportionally deeper from neutral camber.    

post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Yes.

I'm not sure whether this type of sizing will help retain more consistent feel of the ski across different lengths while catering to different skier weights, or just make things more complicated for buyers....Perhaps the former.

I wondered why mfgs don't make/size skis more of this way...perhaps due to higher cost. Again, I can't say for sure.
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nochaser View Post


I wondered why mfgs don't make/size skis more of this way...perhaps due to higher cost. Again, I can't say for sure.

 

It would make total sense for touring skis, since it would give one more grip in the middle when climbing. 

post #5 of 13

yes!

 

Just reviewed my new scale delta.

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/144283/2015-16-stockli-scale-delta-quick-review

 

Cheers,

Holiday

post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
 

yes!

 

Just reviewed my new scale delta.

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/144283/2015-16-stockli-scale-delta-quick-review

 

Cheers,

Holiday

 

Nice review. Where did you get them, they seem hard to find.

post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by failtocrushit View Post
 

 

Nice review. Where did you get them, they seem hard to find.

 

I sold them to Mr. Holiday....thought they would be a good match for his skiing style and what he was looking for out of a ski. 

post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcatching View Post

I sold them to Mr. Holiday....thought they would be a good match for his skiing style and what he was looking for out of a ski. 

Any hint on what kind of skiing style that is, please?
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by failtocrushit View Post


Any hint on what kind of skiing style that is, please?

 

I ski a moderate speeds, all terrain and conditions, like a ski with a progressive flex, predicatable rebound, 

 

video of me skiing nightmare chute at Mt Rose on my mx 98 a couple years ago. doesn't look it, but double black, steep, 2 inch of wet snow on hard base w/ some moderate bumps.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45VvV1ZA3l4

 

these turns were cautious, but with funky snow and pitch, I don't like surprises, actually, i don't like surprises and any snow... :).

 

I like skis that can go between carve and drift at will, alter turn shape well, work well in soft or bullet proof snow, and have a flex that massages my soul. 

 

Cheers,

Wade


Edited by Holiday - 12/29/15 at 2:11pm
post #10 of 13
Thanks for sharing. Very controlled and consistent. You look great to me.
post #11 of 13

The dude shooting that video looks pretty shaky.

post #12 of 13

The camera man was really horrible; should fire his ass.

post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcatching View Post
 

 

I sold them to Mr. Holiday....thought they would be a good match for his skiing style and what he was looking for out of a ski. 


Dawg, how do you think the Scale models, particulary the  Scale Beta would compare to the Laser AX in the 182 cm length for a 230 pound advanced intermediate that skis 85% groomers? Thanx!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Stöckli Scale Skis...?