or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Fitness, Health, Nutrition, Injury, and Recovery › kicking your skiing ass into shape with 2 months to go
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

kicking your skiing ass into shape with 2 months to go

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 

Hi guys, 

 

Less than 2 months left before ski season starts. I've got to kick my ass into gear to rebuild as much strength as I can in order to avoid injury. I longboard about 15 minutes every day, which does almost nothing (or might be worse than nothing since it leads to uneven development in the dominant leg).  

 

My equipment is limited to my physical body, plus a TRX knockoff (a suspension training system), thin yoga mat, and a hard foam roller. 

 

At this point I'm not looking to spend a lot of time on arms or shoulders (other than if they're part of a full-body exercise; after all, this is damage control time!). I'm thinking core, quads, hamstrings and glutes.  

 

What are the most efficient, brief workouts I could do with what I have in order to target skiing muscles? 

post #2 of 22
Planks, bridging, wall squats.
post #3 of 22

Run rocky trails.  Run hills.   Box jumps.  Jump squats.  One legged squats.  Run some more hills.  Lunges in all their various permutations.  I like the planks and bridges, too.

post #4 of 22
Modified pistols - place one hand on table & use for support: as many as possible, each leg, 3x / day.
post #5 of 22
I know I am going to regret asking this, but wtf is a "modified pistol."
post #6 of 22

 

http://strongswiftdurable.com/shop/dryland-ski-training-program/

You can do the course, or at least check out some of the stuff from the sample training session (the Quadzilla Complex is a great exercise)

 

Instructions for individual exercises here:

 

http://strongswiftdurable.com/category/exercises/

post #7 of 22

There is a whole bunch of training programs on the interwebz. I have used parts of Kaj Zakrisson and Sverre Liljequists program.

 

http://www.kaskofsweden.com/training

post #8 of 22

Series of vids/exercises here that might be of interest...

 

http://www.tetongravity.com/video/ski/leg-blasterstgr-ski-sb-training-camp-1

post #9 of 22

The biggest thing I have to do is start getting up earlier in the morning.  I'm not going to make first chair on this schedule.

post #10 of 22

I REALLY like the Mountain Athletics app for iPhone. It's sponsored by The North Face and is developed by Rob Shaul of the Mountain Athlete gym in Jackson Hole. Very time efficient for those of us with a limited workout schedule. Really just requires minimal equipment.  Several of the video examples feature Kit DesLauriers doing the exercises, and she is amazing. I was in decent shape when I started the 40 day program, but the ski-specific exercises really got me into the best early season shape I had been in in years. I'll try to track down the web page that put me on to the app and post it later tonight. 

 

Edit: I found out about the app here: http://www.tetongravity.com/story/ski/nick-martinis-favorite-pre-season-training-workouts


Edited by cosmoliu - 10/28/15 at 10:07pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmoliu View Post
 

I REALLY like the Mountain Athletics app for iPhone.


Thanks for the info.  I just downloaded this and it looks awesome.  I am gearing up to start on Monday!

post #12 of 22

Did the Lactate Tolerance and Core Strength phase last night; what I like about that phase is the timer function that doesn't let you milk the rests in between sets. The "bag hops" are brutal the first half dozen times or so.

 

Speaking of "Kicking your skiing ass", check out Angel Collinson in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmzdXTf3I_k&list=PLb8M2N__cpL8ZTfiiYAM3D_G12nkUUSQ6&index=10   Your glutes won't know what hit them the next day. I got to that from the link I put up in Post #10, opening Kit's video in YouTube and clicking through the other video offerings. All are good, but the "Hippity Hops" are the bomb when you only have maybe 30 minutes to do a warm up and full leg punishment to feel like you did something useful that day.

post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphor_ View Post
 

Hi guys, 

 

Less than 2 months left before ski season starts. I've got to kick my ass into gear to rebuild as much strength as I can in order to avoid injury. I longboard about 15 minutes every day, which does almost nothing (or might be worse than nothing since it leads to uneven development in the dominant leg).  

 

My equipment is limited to my physical body, plus a TRX knockoff (a suspension training system), thin yoga mat, and a hard foam roller. 

 

At this point I'm not looking to spend a lot of time on arms or shoulders (other than if they're part of a full-body exercise; after all, this is damage control time!). I'm thinking core, quads, hamstrings and glutes.  

 

What are the most efficient, brief workouts I could do with what I have in order to target skiing muscles? 


I know I'm late to the discussion but anyway...
2 months are not a lot of time to build up strength unless you are already really fit. Considering you have no access to any type of weights I would say you might be wasting your time in that area.
If I was you I'd focus more on conditioning and core. 
Biking and running are obvious choices, ploy work is ok if you are smart with it and don't do a to. (you might run the risk of injury if you start jumping up and down boxes all day long).

Since you are looking at 

Quote:
 most efficient, brief workouts

the best choice would be some sort of HIIT program à la Insanity or even better T25 to which you can supplement lower body TRX stuff like pistols, suspended lunges, bridges, and so on
 

post #14 of 22

It's way too little info to get any conclusions, and also useful suggestions. But considering you wrote you do nothing but longboard for 15min/day (that would basically equal doing nothing :) ), let's assume you would need some endurance first. Forget HIIT training for now. Yes it's usefull but not without proper basic training. In pro sport, especially endurance sport, you first build the base, even if you are in this for 15 years, and only after first few months of long slow sessions, you start to hit interval training. And it's same with everything else. Without proper base, interval trainings (and HIIT sessions are sort of this) are useless, as you really can't do them properly with proper intensity.
As far as I'm concerned, running is best way to get some overall base, which will help you with everything else (and no, I'm not some keen runner, as I never really liked running... yet I still have 50km just this week already... but it's time of the year when nothing else then running is possible :)). It doesn't take much time, as even just 30-40min run is quite a lot already, and 60min run is enough even if you are in good shape. And for running you really don't need anything... running shoes and that's it. You can do it anywhere, and everyone can find 30-40min time a day for this. Next to that you can do some body weight power training and some yoga to stretch, and that's pretty much all you will need to be in relatively good shape in winter :)

post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by primoz View Post
 

It's way too little info to get any conclusions, and also useful suggestions. But considering you wrote you do nothing but longboard for 15min/day (that would basically equal doing nothing :) ), let's assume you would need some endurance first. Forget HIIT training for now. Yes it's usefull but not without proper basic training. In pro sport, especially endurance sport, you first build the base, even if you are in this for 15 years, and only after first few months of long slow sessions, you start to hit interval training. And it's same with everything else. Without proper base, interval trainings (and HIIT sessions are sort of this) are useless, as you really can't do them properly with proper intensity.
As far as I'm concerned, running is best way to get some overall base, which will help you with everything else (and no, I'm not some keen runner, as I never really liked running... yet I still have 50km just this week already... but it's time of the year when nothing else then running is possible :)). It doesn't take much time, as even just 30-40min run is quite a lot already, and 60min run is enough even if you are in good shape. And for running you really don't need anything... running shoes and that's it. You can do it anywhere, and everyone can find 30-40min time a day for this. Next to that you can do some body weight power training and some yoga to stretch, and that's pretty much all you will need to be in relatively good shape in winter :)

You are some keen runner; you ran 50 km this week.  :duck:.

Me, I'm just going to have to enjoy being out of shape for the first couple of weeks.  I'm doing the physio exercises and stretching for my separated shoulder.  Started doing Kata again some time back, but I can't really push it on account of the shoulder.

post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

You are some keen runner; you ran 50 km this week.  :duck:.

Nah I honestly never liked running. This goes back in my racing day, when we had some tests in national team in summer and part of those tests were 1.5k and 10k runs, where I always sucked. Not to mention that even nowadays it's much more fun to go out with MTB, and I can get through big part of Slovenia (yeah it's very very small :D) in single ride, while with running, if I turn around after half hour run, I can still see place where I started. :D
But on the other side, I finally came to point now, when running is not pain. And nowadays, when it gets dark at 4:30pm, and it's too cold to enjoy it on bike, I can go out for 60 or 90mins, run nice loop in forest and have more from this, concerning my shape, then if I would be on bike for 3 or 4h. But as soon as we get snow, I will change running shoes for xc skis, so I'm really not such a keen runer :)

post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFeet View Post
 

Run rocky trails.  

Be careful not to get hurt!

post #18 of 22
I used to do a few situps and wall sit for up to 4-5 minutes and then just try to ski into skiing shape. Sore quads for the first week or so. When Vail introduced its fitness testing (now abandoned) several years ago, I prepped with lots of situps and spending time on stair steps for the hardest part of their test, which is five minutes of stepping up 12 inches and back down at a pace of 96 movements (up one foot, up the other, down one, down the other=4 movements) per minute. No sore quads those years, so I've been doing the five minutes on normal stairs. That ended Friday when I slipped on some ice and damaged my left knee (http://www.epicski.com/t/143541/acl-recovery). Too sore now to continue, but hope to get back to it next week.
post #19 of 22
I'm a big fan of 12 ounce curls.
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmoliu View Post

Did the Lactate Tolerance and Core Strength phase last night; what I like about that phase is the timer function that doesn't let you milk the rests in between sets. The "bag hops" are brutal the first half dozen times or so.

Speaking of "Kicking your skiing ass", check out Angel Collinson in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmzdXTf3I_k&list=PLb8M2N__cpL8ZTfiiYAM3D_G12nkUUSQ6&index=10   Your glutes won't know what hit them the next day. I got to that from the link I put up in Post #10, opening Kit's video in YouTube and clicking through the other video offerings. All are good, but the "Hippity Hops" are the bomb when you only have maybe 30 minutes to do a warm up and full leg punishment to feel like you did something useful that day.

I just started the workout series today. I do that workout tomorrow. Today's workout was great. I think I will be in great shape for ski season. I am already fit but want to kick it up a notch and this program will do that.
post #21 of 22

Shine all that stuff is what I say.  I just ski and by the end of the season or say 130 days of skiing I'm in good skiing shape!

post #22 of 22
100 miles weekly bike ride, 15 miles running, 185lb fighting weight, 185cm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Fitness, Health, Nutrition, Injury, and Recovery › kicking your skiing ass into shape with 2 months to go