or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Automotive/Car Talk › Anyone using AT All Terrain tire that's great in snow - Likes and Dislikes ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone using AT All Terrain tire that's great in snow - Likes and Dislikes ? - Page 2

post #31 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 


Sounds good.  I'd LOVE a gnarlier looking knobbier looking tire to run year round that is better on snow and ice and even better in warm rain, sandy beaches, and back woods fire roads, and quiet on the highway that also lasts 40K.  Gnarly looking is pretty high on my wants list, but decent on ice and snow is a little higher with summer and rain performance being at the top.  If they're putting out cool, off road looking tires that do all that better now that is great!


You'll see more separation of performance at the true ice level, but they really are way above where AT tires used to be.  I hated the previous BFG AT ko in winter.  The compound was prone to freezing up, and it could vary from good to sketchy as temps and conditions changed.  Unpredictability is the worst feature.

 

So I was seriously reluctant to try the new BFG ko2, but there are been so many advances that it would be like being reluctant to try a 100mm waist ski because you'd skied a plank 5 years ago.  I just don't live in a place where you need ice carvers, on the road or the slopes.

post #32 of 63

It's almost like the new eco rubber compounds get softer in the cold and harder when hot... which is what would be needed for a true ALL season tire to do in order to grip well on cold ice as well as not melt away on hot summer asphalt. 

post #33 of 63
Yes, I bought new winter oriented A/T tires now that the lifts are closed. Cooper X/T4 , not much information about these, but price was right. They handle nicely on the hot freeway and good in this morning's high density powder. I like these so far!

post #34 of 63
Copper has gotten really smart about blending tire categories. That X/T4 is a load range E tire with winter design elements and a good tread life warranty.

On paper, a great choice for people who hit the dirt occasionally, but aren't doing a lot of technical four wheeling.
post #35 of 63
Not AT, but I had Cooper STT on my old Jeep TJ Wrangler and that thing is a beast. Quite mild manner on road but will easily beat any dedicated winter tires in snow and have gotten me out of jams on several occasions. Kinda sucks on ice though.
post #36 of 63
Thread Starter 

UPDATE on tire selection:

 

I originally chose the Cooper Discoverer ATW for my new 4Runner as my year round tire with good winter performance.  After 3,000 miles - I returned these to the dealer !!!  These tires would not balance properly from day one.  Over the course of 3,000 miles, I had the tires balanced 4 times and they would never balance - significant  vibrations and steering wheel vibrations over 60 mph.  Tried several balancing methods at tire dealer as well as Toyota dealer - no one could get them to balance.  

 

Switched to BF Goodrich TA KO2 - balances fine ! 

 

Haven't had the BFG's in the snow yet.  Only had the Coopers in light snow - type of snow any all-season tire can handle, so no real opinion.  But from my experience, I will never buy ANY Cooper tire again.  I never in my life had a problem with any other tire like this - I'm guessing Cooper has very poor production consistency and poor quality control to let a tire that is this off balance out of the factory !!!

post #37 of 63
That's nuts about the Coopers, although bad tires happen. I've never had any issues and they make tires for other brands...tire shop never should have let them out the door.

Having said that, I think you will like the replacements... smile.gif
post #38 of 63

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-duratrac

 

I have these on my Jeep Wrangler and while obviously noone is invincible these tires are pretty incredible IMO.  Mud, dirt, heavy rain, heavy snow, no matter what these tires have gotten me through it without my traction control ever coming on once.  I love these tires.  

post #39 of 63

I just put the Goodyear Duratrac's on the grom's 4runner.

 

post #40 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post
 

I just put the Goodyear Duratrac's on the grom's 4runner.

 


And they look good, too...although points lost for not coordinating an all black cargo box with the other black trim :)

post #41 of 63

Yes, a black Pack Sport would have been nice. 

post #42 of 63

Yeah, once had the KO2, mid-tread wore down too easily....could've been that particular batch...y/n?

Pro Comp's former, standard All-Season/Severe-Weather tire had rather thin, diagonal tread and siped well, but is no longer on their website.??..in favor of wider lugged tires.

Was an incredible snow/ice/crud tire but did not glide exceptionally well on the open highway...

_________________

Posted by surfsnowgirl....
I have these on my Jeep Wrangler and while obviously noone is invincible these tires are pretty incredible IMO.  Mud, dirt, heavy rain, heavy snow, no matter what these tires have gotten me through it without my traction control ever coming on once.  I love these tires.

_________________

 

Purchased one Duratrac for spare, but notice that it is somewhat similar to the extinct Pro Comp in sidewall flex, might be good for Winter..

Haven't driven Nokians in winter....something to look at.


Edited by HaveSkisWillClimb - 7/5/16 at 7:27am
post #43 of 63

Nokian does also an all-terrain tire, Rotiiva AT

 

https://www.nokiantires.com/summer-tires/nokian-rotiiva-at/

post #44 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveSkisWillClimb View Post
 

Yeah, once had the KO2, mid-tread wore down too easily....could've been that particular batch...y/n?

Pro Comp's former, standard All-Season/Severe-Weather tire had rather thin, diagonal tread and siped well, but is no longer on their website.??..in favor of wider lugged tires.

Was an incredible snow/ice/crud tire but did not glide exceptionally well on the open highway...

_________________

Posted by surfsnowgirl....
I have these on my Jeep Wrangler and while obviously noone is invincible these tires are pretty incredible IMO.  Mud, dirt, heavy rain, heavy snow, no matter what these tires have gotten me through it without my traction control ever coming on once.  I love these tires.

_________________

 

Purchased one Duratrac for spare, but notice that it is somewhat similar to the extinct Pro Comp in sidewall flex, might be good for Winter..

Haven't driven Nokians in winter....something to look at.

 

One of the guys at Discount Tire said he didn't like the KO2 all that much because he said it wore too quickly, but he had used them on a full sized truck.  That's always an important thing - I have 22K on mine now and they are not far off from new tread depth...and that's on a 6,000 lb Land Cruiser that sees plenty of rough miles.

 

But...the Cruiser is AWD, a near perfect weight distribution, and the tires are 37" so weight rated way beyond the vehicle (about 3,600 lbs a tire) and it doesn't lay down a ton of power on the road.  There have been similar reports on the Nitto Terra Grappler - some people love them as an all around winter tire and others say you'll kill them quickly with more "loaded" use like towing.

 

The Duratrac pretty much rules the truck winter tire market, although I think the KO2 will catch back up.  Even the county sheriff uses the Duratrac in Clear Creek County, which is where many of the bad foothills icing events occur.


Edited by NayBreak - 7/6/16 at 1:27pm
post #45 of 63

Yes..that KO2 is somewhat soft rubber..but you may be right about the Cruiser's AWD lending aid.  The only minor negative on the Duratrac is its 2ply sidewalls, which in woods/rocky terrains with mud & rocks...2ply can be a little light(although I've had a true experience to the contrary with tough 2plies(ProComp)) , yet in winter = gives you a little more flex...which adds to traction.  Kinda large lugs for winter...that's the question mark for me, but I haven't read any major negative for winter use....y/n?


Edited by HaveSkisWillClimb - 7/31/16 at 8:09pm
post #46 of 63
Getting to that time of year and need new tires. Running the Yokohama Geolandar ATS and I like them. Can anyone comment in road noise from the Destination A/T? Looks like a well priced option for my Land Cruiser.

Similar to some in the thread, I run from SF to Tahoe often and have a need for good highway / city performance. TIA
post #47 of 63
Ha. ...'Tis (Almost!). The season!

In over 590,000 miles on my two Tahoes I can assure you that the Firestone Destination A/T
...is an extremely competent ski tire as well as summer /dry and or wet

I have had Michelin, Pirelli and Dunlop before the A/T's.

Went to A/Ts at about 160k miles on each vehicle
...and never looked back! The highway penetration in heavy snow /slush is exceptional- in fact it is a better
Penetrator than the Altimax Arctic (at speed)

Road noise is limited Wear is excellent as long as your machine is aligned right
Low speed And Ice traction are competent as well

Also, Think Narrow. You're looking for penetration- not float! Driving is NOT a powder ski thing!

Just Get 'em! ....And THINK SNOW!
post #48 of 63

I'll second Terra Grapplers because they've been my all season, do everything tire for the last three years. I'll be looking for Nittos when I go back to tire shopping again. 

 

Always cruised past that flashing "CHAINS REQUIRED" sign going up without a second thought, and some of the road I take is pretty steep. The five hour drive from home is smooth and quiet enough, but I also don't run the recommended 80psi on the sidewall. Paint marker tests indicate I can run 45 up front and 50-65 out back depending on load. 

 

Lot of Cooper fans here, but I've had and seen too many bad experiences to recommend them. Mostly on trucks, it seems, but I've had them come apart on lighter vehicles. Tire warranty doesn't fix your fender.

post #49 of 63

The Nittos were recommended to me along with Goodyear Wranger Duratracs.  Nitto's didn't come in my tire size for my Wrangler but the Wranger Duratracs did and bam haven't looked back since.  I love love love these duratracs.  There's an option to put studs on them but I haven't felt the need.  These things have a death grip on them no matter what the surface; mud or snow no matter.  All I know is my traction control hasn't come on since I got them.  They actually look good too as a bonus.  

post #50 of 63
I just put the recently released Falken AT3W on my Sequoia in a 285/75/17 size (34x11). Man this is a nice road tire for 20/32 of tread depth. It's winter rated and I'm looking forward to testing it in every condition.



post #51 of 63

Sidewalls look good for when you need that extra bit of bite. I'm glad it's offered in something short of a mud tire. Mine aren't as pronounced, but are chewed up enough to indicate they help in the rocks.

post #52 of 63
The sidewalls definitely help. Good rock tires make good winter tires and I''m expecting this to be a great all around tire.
post #53 of 63
Anuone have a suggestion for a tire that has great dry/city/highway manners but also great in snow? The Land Cruiser needs new tires. Been running Yokohama Geolandars and they are great tires. Great pricing, but always ready to try something else. The problem with most AT tires is the road noise so I'd stay away from full AT as I am only in snow 5% annually.
post #54 of 63

My wife put BFG All terrain TA KO2s on her Jeep Wrangler. Even though the look very aggressive and look like they should be super noisy they were much, much quieter than the stock tires that came on the Jeep.  We were both amazed. Great all round tires and face shot over/the hood fun in 18 inches of fresh.

post #55 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo1 View Post

Anuone have a suggestion for a tire that has great dry/city/highway manners but also great in snow? The Land Cruiser needs new tires. Been running Yokohama Geolandars and they are great tires. Great pricing, but always ready to try something else. The problem with most AT tires is the road noise so I'd stay away from full AT as I am only in snow 5% annually.
Hankook dynapro ATM RF10 got a snowflake on the sidewall and perfect for the Bay Area -> Tahoe Grind
I am running em and the tread wear is good and snow traction is excellent
post #56 of 63

post #57 of 63
Those came up on my radar along with the Kumho Road Venture AT51. Good reviews on Tire Rack.


Anyone have a suggestion for a tire that has great dry m
Quote:
Originally Posted by near nyquist View Post

Hankook dynapro ATM RF10 got a snowflake on the sidewall and perfect for the Bay Area -> Tahoe Grind
I am running em and the tread wear is good and snow traction is excellent
post #58 of 63
All of these new hybrid AT/MT tires seem to be breaking the mold. I've put some decent dry highway miles on the Falken AT3W and they are fantastic so far - quite a bit better than the Hankook ATM they replaced.

I have 25K on a set of BFG at ko2 in 37" size and they are quiet and just keep rolling up the miles. But I think Falken may have a serious contender at the price point.
post #59 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOJ View Post
 

UPDATE on tire selection:

 

I originally chose the Cooper Discoverer ATW for my new 4Runner as my year round tire with good winter performance.  After 3,000 miles - I returned these to the dealer !!!  These tires would not balance properly from day one.  Over the course of 3,000 miles, I had the tires balanced 4 times and they would never balance - significant  vibrations and steering wheel vibrations over 60 mph.  Tried several balancing methods at tire dealer as well as Toyota dealer - no one could get them to balance.  

 

Switched to BF Goodrich TA KO2 - balances fine ! 

 

Haven't had the BFG's in the snow yet.  Only had the Coopers in light snow - type of snow any all-season tire can handle, so no real opinion.  But from my experience, I will never buy ANY Cooper tire again.  I never in my life had a problem with any other tire like this - I'm guessing Cooper has very poor production consistency and poor quality control to let a tire that is this off balance out of the factory !!!


I've been running the Cooper A/TW all summer, and they're smooth and quiet.

 

I do not think the vibration you had was balance.  The balancing machines will balance a tire just fine, and the tire can cause vibration because it is our of round (egg shaped) or has a high road force variation...the sidewall in one part is stiffer than in another part of the tire.  The tires that causes this should have been exchanged, and you'd have a good set.  The Hunter GSP9700 Road Force balancer will find these problems and either tell the tire guy how to fix them or tell if they can't be fixed and need to be exchanged.  No wheel is perfectly symmetrical.  Every one has high and low spots.  The GSP9700 will find the low spot on the wheel, find the stiff spot on the sidewall, and match these.  http://www.gsp9700.com/  If the tires have a red ink dot that shows the high road force variation point, and if you know the low spot on the rims (some steel rims are marked here with a dimple), the tires can be "match mounted."  The yellow ink dot on some tires is the light spot and should be matched with the (heavy) valve stem if the tire is not match mounted for road force variation.  No manufacturer makes 100% perfect tires.  I'm happy with my Coopers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRAK3mc790

 

We need to keep in mind that everything, including about tires, is a compromise.  Softer rubber grips better and wears faster.  Stiffer sidewalls handle better and ride harsher.  While there is no industry standard for low rolling resistance tires, figure that tires with lower rolling resistance (gas savers) will have less grip.  Tires that will grip better in the winter will wear faster in the summer.  That's the compromise we choose.


Edited by SoftSnowGuy - 10/27/16 at 9:04pm
post #60 of 63

any love for the Kumho Road Venture AT51? $130 a pop, 55k warranty, 30 day trial policy. 2nd highest rated a/t tire on tirerack.com

 

Anyone have 'em? Road noise, road manners are of interest. TIA

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Automotive/Car Talk
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Automotive/Car Talk › Anyone using AT All Terrain tire that's great in snow - Likes and Dislikes ?