or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › December 2015 "beginner" plan [trip to CO from TN]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

December 2015 "beginner" plan [trip to CO from TN] - Page 2

post #31 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdtj View Post

Cool thing about Winter Park - you can ski beginner trails from 11,200 ft. - near the top of the mountain. Also - I have skied at Cattaloochee and if you can ski all trails on among you are not a beginner anymore.

That's an awesome tip, I bet my friend would love that too. Thanks!
post #32 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by alit423 View Post
 
And I was planning on getting out there before Dec 17 so I would be able to use that...but dang that kinda makes me want to change the trip haha!

 

If you can come after Dec 17th there will be a more beginner terrain available.  That's when the West Village opens for the year.   Before then they only open the beginner terrain that takes you back to the American Eagle lift (take a look at the map).  It's still good for beginners, but much better when they have more runs open.

 

From Copper's website:

 

Quote:
 

Nov 20 - Dec 16 Group Lessons will meet in Center Village

Dec 17 - April 10 Group Lessons will meet in West Village

http://www.coppercolorado.com/winter/ski_and_ride_school/youth_lessons

One other early season consideration is beginners should avoid Copper until a week or so into December.  Before then, half the ski racers in the world are training at Copper, making it a bit crazy for beginners.

 

A little stoke... I just happen to have a video from Dec 11th at Copper last year:

 

 


Edited by tball - 10/11/15 at 7:35am
post #33 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom View Post

Vail is so huge that you it will have plenty of that sort of terrain to satisfy you.

Disagree about Vail being good for true beginners. Took my 5 year old twins there last year, level 2-3 at the time, and had a rough time. There is an area for ski school but if OP on a budget that is probably out. When I took them on my own I found that green runs were few and far apart and often required long traverses that were difficult on them. Still a good trip but other areas would have been better for them (was wishing I had taken them to Beaver Creek and the 7/8/9 year olds to Vail rather than vice versa)
post #34 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tball View Post

If you can come after Dec 17th there will be a more beginner terrain available.  That's when the West Village opens for the year.   Before then they only open the beginner terrain that takes you back to the American Eagle lift (take a look at the map).  It's still good for beginners, but much better when they have more runs open.

From Copper's website:


One other early season consideration is beginners should avoid Copper until a week or so into December.  Before then, half the ski racers in the world are training at Copper, making it a bit crazy for beginners.

A little stoke... I just happen to have a video from Dec 11th at Copper last year:


 

I think we are planning on dec 9-12, for better or worse!
post #35 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by alit423 View Post

I think we are planning on dec 9-12, for better or worse!

Copper plans to open on Nov. 6.  Granted the first place they started snowmaking is a blue run from a summit, but I'm sure they want to have green terrain open for Thanksgiving.

 

Copper snowmaking on Oct. 4, 2015

http://www.9news.com/story/weather/2015/10/04/copper-mountain-snowmaking/73344168/

 

When your friend is planning for the bus ride, need to add time to get all the way into Copper West.  That's the farthest from the entrance to the resort.  My impression is that you'll have to change from the regional bus to the free resort shuttle.  I haven't skied Copper but took a look at the base when I was driving around the mountains for day while my husband was busy with meetings in Denver last March.  It would be a long, long walk from the entrance to Copper West.

 

Looking towards Copper East base from the bus stop near the entrance.

post #36 of 59

Buses are straightforward. They are labeled green, blue, and black. From the parking lot, take the one that matches your ability.

 

I don't generally love taking ski resort buses, but Copper has it down to.a.science.

post #37 of 59
Thread Starter 
Yeah I'm excited! As someone else mentioned though the lessons will meet in the center village not the west though. But still. If there's one thing my friend will bring to this trip it is excessive planning and time management. (She's an accountant). I think we will be ok! I just can't wait!!! 😁❤️
post #38 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by alit423 View Post

Yeah I'm excited! As someone else mentioned though the lessons will meet in the center village not the west though. But still. If there's one thing my friend will bring to this trip it is excessive planning and time management. (She's an accountant). I think we will be ok! I just can't wait!!! 😁❤️


Aah, missed that.  Looking forward to a trip report. :)

post #39 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by alit423 View Post


I think we are planning on dec 9-12, for better or worse!

I don't think Copper's ski school opens until the 17th, please check before you buy tickets. 

post #40 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post

I don't think Copper's ski school opens until the 17th, please check before you buy tickets. 

That's actually why I picked Copper cuz you can save over $100 coming before dec 17
PLUS an extra 20% if you book online more than 48 hours in advance... Heck yeah!!!

post #41 of 59

Ah, ok, that has changed since last time I looked, thanks! 

post #42 of 59

Copper's terrain opens fairly gradually.  Local comments above confirm my impression from extensive historical data that the third week of December would be much better for this trip than the second week. 

 

The basic plan to stay in free lodging in Breck but ski at Copper makes sense for your budget and stated ski ability range.  But you should rent a car to make the commuting easier, and it frankly won't cost all that much more if you have to pay for RT transport from DIA to Breck.

post #43 of 59

I understand your desire to save money on your ski trip, I get it. I drive 16 hours from the midwest to Colorado to ski every year because I don't want to spend money on air fare and rental cars.

That said, I can't see staying in a free condo at world class ski resort only to take the bus to a neighboring ski resort because the lesson package is 50% less. If your friend gets frustrated after two hours of falling in the snow and wants to go back to the condo how do you think she will feel on the hour bus trip (if you make the transfer, two hours if you don't) it's going to take to get there. If she really bails on the lesson after two hours she can at least walk to shopping in Breck while your still enjoying sliding around. If you both make it till 3PM you can then sit in one of the bars and people watch for an hour while recharging with your favorite beverage before walking back to your condo to get ready to go to dinner at one of the great restaurants in Breck. Otherwise, that after ski hour of people watching will be spent watching the other 38 people on the bus.

Copper has a great ski school, I will be there in a few weeks myself. Break, Vail and Aspen also have great ski schools I have friends who have taught at all of them. You've already said you will be in or close to all of these wonderful resorts. I don't think anyone has mentioned trying at least ski a half day at each while visiting your family members. This of course would be a very costly option. Walking around Aspen for an afternoon can be entertaining and I consider Vail Disneyland for adults, it was built to take your money. Breck is the quintessential mountain town with all kinds of shopping and restaurants. I just think your trip will be more enjoyable if you spend the additional money and ski Breck.

If your family has a condo in Breck you next ski trip may also be there so learn your way around. Maybe you'll find for your next trip you would rather stay in Frisco or Dillon so you can ski other places. I think you will find you won't want to stay at Copper unless all you want to do is ski at Copper.

Regardless where you decide to ski, enjoy the mountain environment. I love the mountains, I just live in the flatlands.

post #44 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCC55125 View Post
 

If your friend gets frustrated after two hours of falling in the snow and wants to go back to the condo how do you think she will feel on the hour bus trip (if you make the transfer, two hours if you don't) it's going to take to get there. If she really bails on the lesson after two hours she can at least walk to shopping in Breck while your still enjoying sliding around.

 

This is a really great point and distinction. At Copper, there's a base area with a handful of restaurants and ski gear shops, and that's it. The closest town is Frisco, which is a really cute small town, but it's a 10 minute drive on the highway. At Breck, you can walk right off the mountain and quickly be in the middle of a small town with plenty of free things to look at - some art stores, neat buildings, a funky spice store ... just random shops that might be fun to wander in and out of. There's a crepe stand that is wildly popular, too. And if there's snow, it can be fun to watch dogs playing in the dog park.

post #45 of 59

The last 2 comments underscore my point that if you ski at Copper you need to have a car.  If you're unwilling to get a car, then you should probably ski at Breck.

post #46 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounceswoosh View Post
 

 

This is a really great point and distinction. At Copper, there's a base area with a handful of restaurants and ski gear shops, and that's it. The closest town is Frisco, which is a really cute small town, but it's a 10 minute drive on the highway. At Breck, you can walk right off the mountain and quickly be in the middle of a small town with plenty of free things to look at - some art stores, neat buildings, a funky spice store ... just random shops that might be fun to wander in and out of. There's a crepe stand that is wildly popular, too. And if there's snow, it can be fun to watch dogs playing in the dog park.

 

I thought about this too but Breck is $660 for lessons, lift tickets and gear versus $300 at copper. At that rate the savings of going to Copper is almost the cost of the plane ticket. I think the better option would be to rent a car. From DIA they can probably find something for $20/day and if the friend is really miserable can take the car to Frisco and come back for OP .

 

Edit: Actually copper gives a 20% discount for booking two days in advance so really your looking $220 for lessons, gear and lift tickets.  That's the price of one day at Breck. 


Edited by lonewolf210 - 10/13/15 at 2:39pm
post #47 of 59

$615 is for a private at Breck. The $79 lesson the OP referred to is a group lesson before Dec 16 then the price goes to $177.

 

A group first time lesson at Breck is $162; this is for a Level 1 beginner.

A group beginner lesson for Level 2 thru 5 skier at Breck is $147.

And then there's the Women & Wine half day lesson for $70.

Break isn't that expensive if you go with a group lesson

post #48 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCC55125 View Post
 

$615 is for a private at Breck. The $79 lesson the OP referred to is a group lesson before Dec 16 then the price goes to $177.

 

A group first time lesson at Breck is $162; this is for a Level 1 beginner.

A group beginner lesson for Level 2 thru 5 skier at Breck is $147.

And then there's the Women & Wine half day lesson for $70.

Break isn't that expensive if you go with a group lesson

 

I know I was using the group lesson for calculations, Breck offers a deal that is 3 days of group lessons with gear and lift tickets for $660 or $220/day. The women and wine half day doesn't include the lift ticket or gear rental. The 79$ lesson that OP referred to does include lift ticket and gear. She is also going before the 16th so that price is relevant. I love Breck ski there whenever I can but to claim that it is price competitive with Copper for day skiers is delusional. 

post #49 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounceswoosh View Post
 

 

This is a really great point and distinction. At Copper, there's a base area with a handful of restaurants and ski gear shops, and that's it. The closest town is Frisco, which is a really cute small town, but it's a 10 minute drive on the highway. At Breck, you can walk right off the mountain and quickly be in the middle of a small town with plenty of free things to look at - some art stores, neat buildings, a funky spice store ... just random shops that might be fun to wander in and out of. There's a crepe stand that is wildly popular, too. And if there's snow, it can be fun to watch dogs playing in the dog park.

Five. :-)

post #50 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounceswoosh View Post
 

 

This is a really great point and distinction. At Copper, there's a base area with a handful of restaurants and ski gear shops, and that's it. The closest town is Frisco, which is a really cute small town, but it's a 10 minute drive on the highway.

Five. :-)

 

Depends on traffic! But yes, it could be five.

post #51 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounceswoosh View Post
 

 

Depends on traffic! But yes, it could be five.

I guess so. It's 6.5 miles, so if I can't go 70 mph, I don't leave. ;)

post #52 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounceswoosh View Post
 

 

Depends on traffic! But yes, it could be five.

I guess so. It's 6.5 miles, so if I can't go 70 mph, I don't leave. ;)

 

Also you have a place to hang out there!

post #53 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crocker View Post
 

The last 2 comments underscore my point that if you ski at Copper you need to have a car.  If you're unwilling to get a car, then you should probably ski at Breck.

 

That's true for the OP staying in Breck and skiing Copper since that trip takes two busses.  

 

I don't believe you need a car when skiing Copper, in general, though.    You can do just fine staying at Copper without at car, or stay in Frisco and take one easy bus.   Lots of people do both and do just fine.

post #54 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf210 View Post

I know I was using the group lesson for calculations, Breck offers a deal that is 3 days of group lessons with gear and lift tickets for $660 or $220/day. The women and wine half day doesn't include the lift ticket or gear rental. The 79$ lesson that OP referred to does include lift ticket and gear. She is also going before the 16th so that price is relevant. I love Breck ski there whenever I can but to claim that it is price competitive with Copper for day skiers is delusional. 

Yeah I think we are just going to have to see how it goes but honestly I just think there is no way we could/should rent a car.. Not because of price but because neither of us have ever driven in any sort of winter conditions.... I hate to perpetuate women/southern driver stereotypes but that might be accurate 😂
I don't know, I agree that the bus will be lengthy and it could be a huge pain in the ass but I think it's worth trying. Might not be so bad since we know what we are getting into at least. We may just have to go for it and either have it work out ok and be happy or learn from it haha. Still a couple months away so we will see what happens!
Also someone mentioned that it's a little early but this way the only time this other girl could go because she's an accountant and said she couldn't take a vacation until May lol. But I will def be back as many times as I can jan - April so hopefully I can see some of yall out there 😄
post #55 of 59
Thread Starter 
What would really be nice is if some of my other friends in CO come up to stay with us and drop us off at copper in their car haha 😎
post #56 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by alit423 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf210 View Post

I know I was using the group lesson for calculations, Breck offers a deal that is 3 days of group lessons with gear and lift tickets for $660 or $220/day. The women and wine half day doesn't include the lift ticket or gear rental. The 79$ lesson that OP referred to does include lift ticket and gear. She is also going before the 16th so that price is relevant. I love Breck ski there whenever I can but to claim that it is price competitive with Copper for day skiers is delusional. 

Yeah I think we are just going to have to see how it goes but honestly I just think there is no way we could/should rent a car.. Not because of price but because neither of us have ever driven in any sort of winter conditions.... I hate to perpetuate women/southern driver stereotypes but that might be accurate 😂
I don't know, I agree that the bus will be lengthy and it could be a huge pain in the ass but I think it's worth trying. Might not be so bad since we know what we are getting into at least. We may just have to go for it and either have it work out ok and be happy or learn from it haha. Still a couple months away so we will see what happens!
Also someone mentioned that it's a little early but this way the only time this other girl could go because she's an accountant and said she couldn't take a vacation until May lol. But I will def be back as many times as I can jan - April so hopefully I can see some of yall out there 😄


Here's a thought . . . reserve a cheap 2WD car.  If there is going to be any sort of snowy weather, then cancel a day or two before you arrive.  No new snow, you have the convenience of the car.  If snowing, you get to enjoy the view from the bus with no driving worries and the fun of skiing on fresh natural snow.  Win-Win. :D

post #57 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by alit423 View Post


Yeah I think we are just going to have to see how it goes but honestly I just think there is no way we could/should rent a car.. Not because of price but because neither of us have ever driven in any sort of winter conditions.... I hate to perpetuate women/southern driver stereotypes but that might be accurate 😂
I don't know, I agree that the bus will be lengthy and it could be a huge pain in the ass but I think it's worth trying. Might not be so bad since we know what we are getting into at least. We may just have to go for it and either have it work out ok and be happy or learn from it haha. Still a couple months away so we will see what happens!
Also someone mentioned that it's a little early but this way the only time this other girl could go because she's an accountant and said she couldn't take a vacation until May lol. But I will def be back as many times as I can jan - April so hopefully I can see some of yall out there 😄

 

It doesn't help your friend but if your planning on making multiple trips out to CO it would make sense to look at buying a pass. An Epic pass is less then $600 and you ski more then 5-6 days (essentially two trips out) then you start saving money and could ski Breck and not have to worry about cars and buses and what not. 

post #58 of 59
Quote:
Here's a thought . . . reserve a cheap 2WD car.

This.  Snowfall is not consistent, it's erratic.  Odds are ~75% you will have no winter driving issues.  If you're up there and it snows, you have the bus plan as a backup.  But beginners schlepping ski gear on 2 buses every day with transfers, ugh.   My advice stands: If staying at Breck, rent a car if you want to do the skiing at Copper, otherwise ski at Breck.


Edited by Tony Crocker - 10/15/15 at 11:19pm
post #59 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crocker View Post
 

This.  Snowfall is not consistent, it's erratic.  Odds are ~75% you will have no winter driving issues.  If you're up there and it snows, you have the bus plan as a backup.  But beginners schlepping ski gear on 2 buses every day with transfers, ugh.   My advice stands: If staying at Breck, rent a car if you want to do the skiing at Copper, otherwise ski at Breck.


Second THIS.  Conditions can get treacherous.  BUT, most days are clear and you can avoid bad conditions by not driving at those times and/or taking buses.  With 2 or more people, renting a car is cheaper than doing the shuttle and it gives you flexibility.  When it's not snowing, you will be fine on the roads.  And don't let the salesperson at the car rental scare you that you have to have a 4 wheel drive because its ALWAYS snowing in the mountains.  Check the weather forecast and if clear, do the car.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › December 2015 "beginner" plan [trip to CO from TN]