- 1,504 Posts. Joined 3/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Big Bear 2016-2017 Last post on Today at 6:27 am in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- Mammoth Mountain for 2015-2016 Last post on 8/27/16 at 6:37pm in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- Mammoth buys Big Bear and Snow Summit Last post on 9/29/14 at 6:28pm in Skiing News
- What to expect in mammoth? Last post on 5/16/15 at 10:38am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Bear Mountain Evacuated Due To Gun Wielding Lunatic Last post on 2/12/13 at 8:53pm in General Skiing Discussion
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/17/16
- Snow Valley Mountain Resort, Running Springs, CaliforniaLast edited: 6/1/14
- Unofficial Guide of Bear Mountain, Big Bear Lake, CaliforniaLast edited: 3/24/16
- Snow Summit, CA Unofficial GuideLast edited: 9/6/13
- Big Bear, CA Unofficial GuideLast edited: 3/24/16
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Big Bear 2015-2016 - Page 5post #121 of 33711/30/15 at 11:08pmGosh that's very said indeed. I wonder how it happened.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #122 of 33712/1/15 at 8:00am
Skied SS yesterday(Monday) with @NED79 and some of his friends.
Overall, it was pretty good. I'd say about 70% of the mountain is open. Coverage was good although you could tell most of it was man-made. The place was pretty damn empty up there so it was ski up/down straight to the chair. The weather was about 42 for a high. Never too cold or too hot.
Wish I could go Tuesday toopost #123 of 33712/1/15 at 5:14pmThread Starterpost #124 of 33712/1/15 at 5:49pmpost #125 of 33712/1/15 at 11:11pm
Had a great day with @lott42 Monday @ SS, conditions are very good on the open runs and it's like a semi-private ski resort right now, wide open. Log Chute was a bit crusty but should be better tomorrow, and there are a few ice patches around from the snow guns but otherwise excellent early season groomers. Even a small storm could open the rest. @river-z I may be out Friday morning for a few.post #126 of 33712/2/15 at 10:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by NED79
Had a great day with @lott42 Monday @ SS, conditions are very good on the open runs and it's like a semi-private ski resort right now, wide open. Log Chute was a bit crusty but should be better tomorrow, and there are a few ice patches around from the snow guns but otherwise excellent early season groomers. Even a small storm could open the rest. @river-z I may be out Friday morning for a few.
Cool. I should be here between 10 and 2 (or so) wearing a very bright orange jacket.post #127 of 33712/3/15 at 8:34ampost #128 of 33712/3/15 at 4:02pm
Well, as it stands now, Fri Dec. 11 is NOT looking good at SS. Looking at a few "10 day" forecasts, all I see is bright blue skies. Normally, this is what I prefer BUT with what little snow BB has right now and warm weather, I think we should postpone our SS get together. Well, at least for me. I don't think I want to use a vacation day until there is more of the mountain open. Maybe Xmas break will yield some So. Cal. storms and maybe January will be better...I hopepost #129 of 33712/3/15 at 9:09pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by lott42
Well, as it stands now, Fri Dec. 11 is NOT looking good at SS. Looking at a few "10 day" forecasts, all I see is bright blue skies. Normally, this is what I prefer BUT with what little snow BB has right now and warm weather, I think we should postpone our SS get together. Well, at least for me. I don't think I want to use a vacation day until there is more of the mountain open. Maybe Xmas break will yield some So. Cal. storms and maybe January will be better...I hope
I agree. I would rather save ditch days for a fully open mountain and, preferably, freshies! Let's aim for January or February.post #130 of 33712/3/15 at 9:11pmThread Starterpost #131 of 33712/3/15 at 10:20pmpost #132 of 33712/3/15 at 10:57pmQuote:
I was looking forward to the 11th, but it turns out I can't make it either. My 4YO is getting his tonsils taken out that day and my wife told me I need to come with her.post #133 of 33712/4/15 at 5:41ampost #134 of 33712/4/15 at 8:30amThread StarterQuote:
Well ... yeah! I'm the happy wife who fortunately married an avid skier ... but, I would make him skip skiing to go with me also.post #135 of 33712/4/15 at 6:28pm
It was a bit soft and clumpy out there today. After a high-speed fall and nice little gash in the thigh (nothing serious) I turned my attention away from the cruisers and over towards learning how to do jumps. One of my goals this year. Fun times (except for the part where I get stuck on the 605 on the way home... that part is awful)post #136 of 33712/4/15 at 7:31pmpost #137 of 33712/4/15 at 8:07pmpost #138 of 33712/4/15 at 8:17pmQuote:
I would go... early, I can't imagine it being that busy, even for a Saturday. It was deserted out there all week, I skied it 5.5 days straight, cranking laps. Conditions were better early in the week before this weak low came through, but still good enough that it was difficult to leave. @river-z, I may have seen you going down to #3 around 11 o'clock as I was going down for the day, next time we'll have to meet up, I catch air alot. This pic was taken Wednesday @ 10 AM. Nedpost #139 of 33712/4/15 at 8:43pmpost #140 of 33712/5/15 at 12:05ampost #141 of 33712/5/15 at 6:09amNo skiing this weekend. My wife is going to a funeral this morning and MIL can't babysit anymore. Plus flurry of email overnight for me to address.
I shall stay home/fulfill my duties, and try to prepare all the rest of my skis and gather quotes from Subaru dealers on the side.post #142 of 33712/5/15 at 11:39ampost #143 of 33712/5/15 at 12:41pmpost #144 of 33712/5/15 at 12:42pmpost #145 of 33712/6/15 at 6:40pmThread Starter
Conditions actually are holding up surprisingly well. We skied Saturday until 12:30 and it was still very skiable when we left. The website is not kept up to date. Timber Ridge is most decidedly not open! As always, the grooming was excellent. It is still nice and empty and we often had the run to ourselves. It also looks as if the entire SS parking lot is now set aside for VIP parking. Does anyone know if they are doing the same at Bear?post #146 of 33712/6/15 at 8:08pm
Went back up to Mt. High today. They've pumped their reservoir dry up there. If they don't get some snow/rain soon and these warm temps hold up they'll be in trouble. It was shorts and t-shirts by 1 pm. What was open was great for the first few hours this morning. By lunch it was pretty skied out. 90% of the folks are slalom gates.....errr, I mean, snowboarders.... So the snow gets pushed off pretty quick. But it was fun none the less. Getting closer to parity with my new Rossi's. Big change from my old K2's. That's all I'm really concerned about at the moment.post #147 of 33712/6/15 at 9:46pmQuote:If the entire SS parking is vip, what isn't? That's a major inconvenience for people like me.Originally Posted by mustski
Conditions actually are holding up surprisingly well. We skied Saturday until 12:30 and it was still very skiable when we left. The website is not kept up to date. Timber Ridge is most decidedly not open! As always, the grooming was excellent. It is still nice and empty and we often had the run to ourselves. It also looks as if the entire SS parking lot is now set aside for VIP parking. Does anyone know if they are doing the same at Bear?post #148 of 33712/7/15 at 5:09amThread StarterQuote:
It looked like they were parking on the road right off the bat and stretching to secondary roads even before opening. My hubby is a disabled skier, so we didn't realize what was going on until we were parking in the handicapped lot. We were shocked that at 8:45 the parking on Summit Blvd was already full, and that only those with disabled stickers and $20 VIP were being waved through; so we expected it to be a super crowded morning. Instead, we saw a virtually empty parking lot. We heard rumors that the plan was to turn it all VIP. It looks like it's happened. Mammoth has added some additional levels of "Cali4nia" passes and one of them includes VIP parking. I would assume this is an attempt to sell more of those season passes. I'll try to get over to Bear this weekend and see if they have made the same move there.post #149 of 33712/7/15 at 8:20ampost #150 of 33712/7/15 at 8:41am
This thread is locked
- Big Bear 2015-2016
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Snow Valley Mountain Resort, Running Springs, California
- › Confirmed: VW bringing Golf Sportwagen Alltrack to the U.S. (for... 2 minutes ago
- › Ski Instructor Demo: Short video of TDK skiing in St Anton 16 minutes ago
- › 2017 Mid-Atlantic Gathering at Timberline, WV - February 24-26, 2017 20 minutes ago
- › Question about shuttle bus from Banff to ski areas 36 minutes ago
- › Alberta/Eastern BC - 2016/17 36 minutes ago
- › Salomom Xmax 120 vs, Xwave 8.0 38 minutes ago
- › Best Budget Skiing in North America? 46 minutes ago
- › 87 degree side edge too much for park? 49 minutes ago
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 59 minutes ago
- › Decision '17: Whistler or Alta/Bird? 1 hour ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer