or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Son Stationed at Fort Carson, Colorado
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Son Stationed at Fort Carson, Colorado

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

Based on the title, as you can imagine, we plan of visiting him there!  My son plans on buying the Epic Pass or Rocky Mountain Super Pass (they have military pricing).  However, for us, there are several relatively low cost pass options and 7 or 4 pack options as well.

 

Here are a few:

 

Season Passes

http://skicolorado.com/MultiMountain_SeasonPasses.html

http://www.snow.com/epic-pass/passes.aspx

 

Paks

http://skicolorado.com/MultiMountain_PackProducts.html

http://www.snow.com/epic-pass/passes/keystone-four-pack.aspx

https://www.liftopia.com/product?product_id=4130

 

The real question is: What venues are must ski resorts? Does it really matter?  Are there other deals that should be considered?

post #2 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dskifanatic View Post
 

Based on the title, as you can imagine, we plan of visiting him there!  My son plans on buying the Epic Pass or Rocky Mountain Super Pass (they have military pricing).  However, for us, there are several relatively low cost pass options and 7 or 4 pack options as well.

 

Here are a few:

 

Season Passes

http://skicolorado.com/MultiMountain_SeasonPasses.html

http://www.snow.com/epic-pass/passes.aspx

 

Paks

http://skicolorado.com/MultiMountain_PackProducts.html

http://www.snow.com/epic-pass/passes/keystone-four-pack.aspx

https://www.liftopia.com/product?product_id=4130

 

The real question is: What venues are must ski resorts? Does it really matter?  Are there other deals that should be considered?

 

 

What venues are must ski resorts?

All of them..how much time do you have

 

 

Does it really matter? 

No they are all good

 

 

Are there other deals that should be considered?

Depends on where you want to go many of the resorts sell 4 packs so pick where you want to ski and check their pass pages for deals.

post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dskifanatic View Post
 

Based on the title, as you can imagine, we plan of visiting him there!  My son plans on buying the Epic Pass or Rocky Mountain Super Pass (they have military pricing).  However, for us, there are several relatively low cost pass options and 7 or 4 pack options as well.

 

Here are a few:

 

Season Passes

http://skicolorado.com/MultiMountain_SeasonPasses.html

http://www.snow.com/epic-pass/passes.aspx

 

Paks

http://skicolorado.com/MultiMountain_PackProducts.html

http://www.snow.com/epic-pass/passes/keystone-four-pack.aspx

https://www.liftopia.com/product?product_id=4130

 

The real question is: What venues are must ski resorts? Does it really matter?  Are there other deals that should be considered?

I was at the Air Force Academy for 4 years and both passes are worth the money. In fact my last year there I had both but I skied a lot. The RMSP is probably the best balance between price and the resorts you get.

 

Another option he could look at is buying a season pass to Monarch especially since Fort Carson is fairly far south. The pass includes 3 days each at Copper, Loveland and Purgatory. It also includes an unguided day at Silverton which may or may not interest your son. 

post #4 of 20

just be aware that epic pass must be bought before they stop sales, usually early december.

post #5 of 20

And the Monarch pass for Active Duty Military is only $199!!

post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf210 View Post
 

I was at the Air Force Academy for 4 years and both passes are worth the money. In fact my last year there I had both but I skied a lot. The RMSP is probably the best balance between price and the resorts you get.

 

Another option he could look at is buying a season pass to Monarch especially since Fort Carson is fairly far south. The pass includes 3 days each at Copper, Loveland and Purgatory. It also includes an unguided day at Silverton which may or may not interest your son. 

 

Another vote for Monarch. Distance from Colorado Springs to Monarch is roughly a toss up to distance to Copper or Winter Park. The difference is that the drive time to Monarch is consistent and predictable as it is off I-70 and not affected by traffic. If folks are expecting to ski off I-70 on weekends, you can expect that the 2.5 hour trip (each way) takes 4+ hours some days.

 

That said, Breck is slightly less driving time from Colorado Springs because you can get there from US 24 and CO Stae Hwy 9 over Hoosier Pass. In good weather, Breck is roughly two hours and 15 minutes away, and that route is also away from traffic. But, Breck is the most crowded resort in Colorado.

 

Monarch is a great little mountain. The vibe is one of the best in skiing. The mountain gets a good amount of very high quality snow. The downside is that the mountain is only 1100 vert, but you do get good advanced fall line skiing over a lot of the mountain, and the advanced terrain sees little traffic. 

 

I lived in Colorado Springs for 25 years and most often I had a Monarch pass. Never felt like I was missing a damned thing. 

post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post

Another vote for Monarch. Distance from Colorado Springs to Monarch is roughly a toss up to distance to Copper or Winter Park. The difference is that the drive time to Monarch is consistent and predictable as it is off I-70 and not affected by traffic. If folks are expecting to ski off I-70 on weekends, you can expect that the 2.5 hour trip (each way) takes 4+ hours some days.

That said, Breck is slightly less driving time from Colorado Springs because you can get there from US 24 and CO Stae Hwy 9 over Hoosier Pass. In good weather, Breck is roughly two hours and 15 minutes away, and that route is also away from traffic. But, Breck is the most crowded resort in Colorado.

Monarch is a great little mountain. The vibe is one of the best in skiing. The mountain gets a good amount of very high quality snow. The downside is that the mountain is only 1100 vert, but you do get good advanced fall line skiing over a lot of the mountain, and the advanced terrain sees little traffic. 

I lived in Colorado Springs for 25 years and most often I had a Monarch pass. Never felt like I was missing a damned thing. 

Only thing I disagree with is the argument about I-70 traffic. As you mentioned you can take highway 9 to Breck and going to copper that way adds like 20 mins of driving and pretty much guarantees no traffic.
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf210 View Post


Only thing I disagree with is the argument about I-70 traffic. As you mentioned you can take highway 9 to Breck and going to copper that way adds like 20 mins of driving and pretty much guarantees no traffic.

 

Fair point, and I think these days it makes more sense to just plan on driving that way. Last winter I was on the front range was 2010, and at that point traffic apps on one's phone and even the I-70 delay signage was much more rudimentary than today, so I would find myself stuck at Idaho Springs for 45 minutes on the way home without warning.

 

Driving through Breck in the morning can be a real headache too with most vehicles trying to get into the parking lots there, but you are right to suggest CO 9 as the likely best route to reach Summit County from Colorado Springs no matter which mountain is the destination. Kind of an interesting thought experiment to think that in 20 years, Colorado Springs may be a better place to live if one plans on driving to Summit County on the weekends.

 

My vote is still Monarch. 

post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
 

 

Fair point, and I think these days it makes more sense to just plan on driving that way. Last winter I was on the front range was 2010, and at that point traffic apps on one's phone and even the I-70 delay signage was much more rudimentary than today, so I would find myself stuck at Idaho Springs for 45 minutes on the way home without warning.

 

Driving through Breck in the morning can be a real headache too with most vehicles trying to get into the parking lots there, but you are right to suggest CO 9 as the likely best route to reach Summit County from Colorado Springs no matter which mountain is the destination. Kind of an interesting thought experiment to think that in 20 years, Colorado Springs may be a better place to live if one plans on driving to Summit County on the weekends.

 

My vote is still Monarch. 

 

That's the way I always went but I also had friends the lied in Breck so I was always staying there anyways. I would also vote for Monarch, it includes a couple days pretty much everywhere except the Vail resorts and they offer $75/day tickets including Vail and Beaver Creek. You can purchase the Monarch pass and a couple of day tickets to the Vail resorts and still be cheaper then an Epic Pass. If he decides he really likes Copper or the Vail resorts he can buy a pass there next year.

 

This is of course assuming that the OP's son has no skiing/boarding friends. If he gets there and meets a group that rides a lot he should just get a pass where ever they do. He'll use his pass a whole lot more if he has buddies to carpool with every weekend then he will buying the "best" pass and not using because no one wants to go there with him.

post #10 of 20

That's the way I always went but I also had friends the lied in Breck..."   What was it they lied about?  Hate it when friends lie to ya.

post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf210 View Post
 

 

That's the way I always went but I also had friends the lied in Breck so I was always staying there anyways. I would also vote for Monarch, it includes a couple days pretty much everywhere except the Vail resorts and they offer $75/day tickets including Vail and Beaver Creek. You can purchase the Monarch pass and a couple of day tickets to the Vail resorts and still be cheaper then an Epic Pass. If he decides he really likes Copper or the Vail resorts he can buy a pass there next year.

 

This is of course assuming that the OP's son has no skiing/boarding friends. If he gets there and meets a group that rides a lot he should just get a pass where ever they do. He'll use his pass a whole lot more if he has buddies to carpool with every weekend then he will buying the "best" pass and not using because no one wants to go there with him.

 

Truth. 

post #12 of 20
Thread Starter 

Lots of great ideas!  Some of the places we are considering are A Basin, Keystone, Copper, and Loveland.  I like the Monarch idea!  There is a lot of temptation to hit up places like Vail, Breck, Steamboat, Telluride, Snowmass - I know those are all over the place and would never do them all but one or two would be cool!

post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dskifanatic View Post
 

Lots of great ideas!  Some of the places we are considering are A Basin, Keystone, Copper, and Loveland.  I like the Monarch idea!  There is a lot of temptation to hit up places like Vail, Breck, Steamboat, Telluride, Snowmass - I know those are all over the place and would never do them all but one or two would be cool!


Why not do them all? You said your son is getting stationed there which means he'll be there at least a few years. Just because you have a pass doesn't mean you can't ski somewhere else. Even with an Epic pass I still did one or two trips a year to somewhere not on a pass. It all depends on how into skiing you are, I barely spend any money or go on any trips in the summer so that I can save it all for skiing.

post #14 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf210 View Post
 


Why not do them all? You said your son is getting stationed there which means he'll be there at least a few years. Just because you have a pass doesn't mean you can't ski somewhere else. Even with an Epic pass I still did one or two trips a year to somewhere not on a pass. It all depends on how into skiing you are, I barely spend any money or go on any trips in the summer so that I can save it all for skiing.


We are a 50+ days per season family and yes he will be there for at least 3 winters more than likely since this will be the end of his current enlistment.  And we will spread it out.  The current thinking is to hit up Vail or Breck or both then add in Copper, Loveland and A Basin and a final day at Monarch.

post #15 of 20
Thread Starter 
Bump! Latest update we moved to Colorado Springs after our vacation in CO. We have the expenses Epic Local Pass now and plan on getting the Gem Card. So we will be skiing them all.
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dskifanatic View Post

Bump! Latest update we moved to Colorado Springs after our vacation in CO. We have the expenses Epic Local Pass now and plan on getting the Gem Card. So we will be skiing them all.


Moved!  Jealous. :)

 

Where did you ski last season?

post #17 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post


Moved!  Jealous. smile.gif

Where did you ski last season?

We moved in April and unfortunately everything shuts down by Mid April. However, We skied every weekend at Loveland until they closed May 9th and then at A Basin until they closed June 13th. Never skied in June so that was cool. Now just need to get some skiing in in July, August and September. Some day it will happen.
post #18 of 20

AT bindings, skins and the right pack and you can make that happen. May only get a couple of turns in a well shadowed gully, but who's counting vertical in late summer!

post #19 of 20
Thread Starter 

St Mary's Glacier might be good right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallee View Post
 

AT bindings, skins and the right pack and you can make that happen. May only get a couple of turns in a well shadowed gully, but who's counting vertical in late summer!

 

I definitely want to do this.  Looking at AT gear for next season so something like St Mary's Glacier on CO might be good for July turns.

post #20 of 20

You don't need AT gear for most summer ski lines.  Hiking boots will probably do just fine.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Son Stationed at Fort Carson, Colorado