or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gun ads  

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Looks like I got an ad for a handgun on the sidebar this morning. This is an issue for me. Is advertising for gun sales on epic a deliberate thing, or an accidental type of thing? If it's deliberate, I'll just mention that it's the sort of thing I plan to boycott.



Edit to add: Oh look, another one:


Further edited to draw attention from management: @Trekchick, @Philpug
Edited by Bob Lee - 10/2/15 at 6:51am
post #2 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee View Post

Looks like I got an ad for a handgun on the sidebar this morning. This is an issue for me. Is advertising for gun sales on epic a deliberate thing, or an accidental type of thing? If it's deliberate, I'll just mention that it's the sort of thing I plan to boycott.



Edit to add: Oh look, another one:


Further edited to draw attention from management: @Trekchick, @Philpug

 

Hey Bob, all those ads are served based on your internet history. If you were recently involved in one of the gun control threads that would explain why you got the ad, but it definitely is not deliberate. @Trekchick may be able to see if our ad team can restrict them though. 

post #3 of 28

Hey, at least your adds didn't hijack adobe flash player and lock up your browser.

post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
 

Hey, at least your adds didn't hijack adobe flash player and lock up your browser.

 

If you're getting that please let me know as well, Flash based ads were supposed to be killed IIRC. 

post #5 of 28
Thread Starter 
I've been arguing in a Roseburg thread over on TGR, but I'm not getting any gun ads there. Right now I'm not comfortable with a site supported, even in part, by advertising that sells guns. I'm more interested in limiting gun sales. Is it possible for a site to control this type of advertising?
post #6 of 28

Bob, I will send a note to our ad team about getting that blocked, but, like Tyler said, its a google adsense ad, which is generated by your personal history which means others don't see that ad, just those who have been talking about guns in their browser history, even on another site. 

 

While I am going to get in touch with our ad people, if you see the ad again, you should see a tiny X in the upper right corner of the ad which will prompt you to tell Google why that ad is not appropriate for this site and your browser. 

 

Please check that X and go through the steps, it will help a lot in this process. 

post #7 of 28
Thread Starter 
Copy. Thanks. I'm not getting the little X though.
post #8 of 28
I'm getting VW Jetta TDI ads. Deadly stuff. Irritating because it crowds out the ads for Russian brides. And my wife might think I'm a polluter.

My sister's boyfriend has a 32 character random password for his WiFi. I'm sure he never gets offensive ads. Our tenants share our WiFi so some ads seem random but we know them all so they don't do too many wild searches. I don't mind Internet ads - normally they are easy to ignore - as long as they don't slow down the content delivery on the slow Internet I'm stuck with. I might think differently if I got a lot of ads that were offensive to me. But the Oakley and Telluride ads today didn't cross the line.

Eric
post #9 of 28

Just an FYI to everyone, when you see a google adsense ad, you'll see a little X in the corner like I illustrate here.  When you see an ad that doesn't have an x, its a deliberate ad that we've sought out.   Adsense is specifically targeting the user's browser history.  For instance, when I had a birthday and received a lot of B-Day wishes on Facebook, I started getting aging cream ads. 

 

post #10 of 28
Thread Starter 

Okay, I'm getting this figured out - it only happens on my iPad.  I just got a little flipped out when I saw those ads. Thanks for all the info.  I'll deal. Gotta go into the cookies on the iPad which is a pain because there's no search function in the Safari cookie list.  

post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee View Post
 

Okay, I'm getting this figured out - it only happens on my iPad.  I just got a little flipped out when I saw those ads. Thanks for all the info.  I'll deal. Gotta go into the cookies on the iPad which is a pain because there's no search function in the Safari cookie list.  

 

Are you saying Apple is supporting the NRA and promoting guns? ;):duck:

post #12 of 28

Nonsense Apple are just looking out for you because you definitely need a gun to protect you and your family from all those terrorists:

 

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/10/02/us/oregon-shooting-terrorism-gun-violence/index.html

post #13 of 28

Nowadays, ads are dynamic and based on your browser cookies and browser history... 

post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg S View Post
 

Nowadays, ads are dynamic and based on your browser cookies and browser history... 

 

I don't see any of these type ads. I guess I am not very dynamic. Maybe I should take a lesson.:D

post #15 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee View Post
 

Okay, I'm getting this figured out - it only happens on my iPad.  I just got a little flipped out when I saw those ads. Thanks for all the info.  I'll deal. Gotta go into the cookies on the iPad which is a pain because there's no search function in the Safari cookie list.  

 

Are you saying Apple is supporting the NRA and promoting guns? ;):duck:

 

Looks like it...that, or I don't have AdBlocker on my iPad.

 

:snowfight

post #16 of 28
I delete all the search history and cookies about once a week on my tablet and Iobit does it automatically on my PC. Then again, I turn ads off here.

When I do see ads, they are actually more irritating because they are for nothing that interests me.. Not sure that's an improvement.
post #17 of 28
So this explains why I get all these ads for dating sites for seniors.
post #18 of 28

Is there a spot in the preferences of the mobile platform to turn off advertising like there is in the desktop platform (for passholders)?


 

Quote:
 

crgildart: Preferences

Site Wide

   Save my content drafts as I type
   Site Skin
   Show an alert when I receive a new message
   Invisible Mode (?)
   Remove Homepage Carousel
X Turn off Advertising
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee View Post

Okay, I'm getting this figured out - it only happens on my iPad.  I just got a little flipped out when I saw those ads. Thanks for all the info.  I'll deal. Gotta go into the cookies on the iPad which is a pain because there's no search function in the Safari cookie list.  
Mmmmmmm cookies
post #20 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 

Is there a spot in the preferences of the mobile platform to turn off advertising like there is in the desktop platform (for passholders)?

Quote:

crgildart: Preferences

Site Wide

   Save my content drafts as I type
   Site Skin
   Show an alert when I receive a new message
   Invisible Mode (?)
   Remove Homepage Carousel
X Turn off Advertising

 

Um...   Thanks, I hadn't seen that.  :o 

post #21 of 28

It would be a good idea to block these ads considering that something happen about every 2 weeks in relation to guns...

post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

Is there a spot in the preferences of the mobile platform to turn off advertising like there is in the desktop platform (for passholders)?



 
Quote:
 

crgildart: Preferences



Site Wide



   Save my content drafts as I type
   Site Skin
   Show an alert when I receive a new message
   Invisible Mode ([URL=]?[/URL])
   Remove Homepage Carousel
X Turn off Advertising

I don't have ads showing up on either.
post #23 of 28

The National Safety Council (Injury Facts, 2011 edition) points out that in 2009:
35,900 Americans died in motor-vehicle accidents;

5,300 pedestrians were killed;

8,600 died from unintentional public falls;

4,500 died from unintentional public poisoning;

2,400 people drowned while swimming in public areas;

800 died while bicycle riding;

All homicides

  • Number of deaths: 16,121
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 5.1
  • Firearm homicides
  • Number of deaths: 11,208

Stats are stats.  Maybe you should think about blocking car ads, or pictures of stairs  or swimming pools.  Certainly block anything about base jumping.  You'll get all skeered. 

post #24 of 28

This is not the place.

post #25 of 28

Problem is solved lock the thread!

post #26 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevee d View Post

The National Safety Council (Injury Facts, 2011 edition) points out that in 2009:

35,900 Americans died in motor-vehicle accidents;
5,300 pedestrians were killed;
8,600 died from unintentional public falls;
4,500 died from unintentional public poisoning;
2,400 people drowned while swimming in public areas;
800 died while bicycle riding;
All homicides
  • Number of deaths: 16,121
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 5.1
  • Firearm homicides
  • Number of deaths: 11,208
Stats are stats.  Maybe you should think about blocking car ads, or pictures of stairs  or swimming pools.  Certainly block anything about base jumping.  You'll get all skeered. 

Shut up.
post #27 of 28

OP had his question answered. Closed thread. 

post #28 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

Problem is solved lock the thread!

Can I do that? How?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked