Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Tips for Planning Family Ski Trips from flatlands (Midwest, SE, Mid-Atlantic, NJ/NYC/CT/RI, Ontario) Last post on 3/23/17 at 6:35am in Family Skiing Discussions
- Stowe, Sugarloaf or Killington over New Year's with 11 y.o.[from RI] Last post on 12/2/15 at 1:28pm in Family Skiing Discussions
- Sugarbush / Mad River - Lodging Last post on 3/14/17 at 5:08pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Trip to Monarch for the Young and Young at Heart Last post on 3/6/17 at 9:30am in Trip Reports
- Family Trip to Whistler Feb 17 Last post on 3/5/17 at 6:43pm in Trip Reports
EpicSki Interview with Patrick Torsell of Ski Cooper: Part 3
Last edited: 1/19/17
- EpicSki Interview with Patrick Torsell of Ski Cooper: Part 1Last edited: 1/19/17
- Top 10 "Expert" Ski Runs In the New EnglandLast edited: 11/29/15
- Money And Time Saving Tips For Parents Of Young SkiersLast edited: 4/20/11
- How To Plan A Family Ski VacationLast edited: 9/7/14
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
Where to go for ski vacation in New England? - Page 4post #91 of 942/12/16 at 1:39pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #92 of 942/16/16 at 2:52pmThread Starter
Well, we only managed to get in a day trip to Sugarbush. The day that we went was good though, there was a lot of untracked powder in the glades. Most of the trails had good cover, but there was a trail that we did called Lixie's Twist which was a mix a snow and dirt, and there was a trail called organgrinder from the summit that was really icy. Overall better than I expected.post #93 of 942/17/16 at 6:40amQuote:Originally Posted by mrB17
Well, we only managed to get in a day trip to Sugarbush. The day that we went was good though, there was a lot of untracked powder in the glades. Most of the trails had good cover, but there was a trail that we did called Lixie's Twist which was a mix a snow and dirt, and there was a trail called organgrinder from the summit that was really icy. Overall better than I expected.
I'm going to be the adult that gives you a hard time for some poor teenage judgement here. Going into the woods at Sugarbush this past week was an incredibly bad idea. The reason you found untracked lines is because the locals know its not safe in there, so we are all staying out. While there may have been some fresh snow, it doesn't mean there was enough for the woods to be safe. There needs to be a solid 3-4 foot base on most woods before they are decently skiable. There are some glades that you can get by with as little as 2 feet of dense base, but that's only if you know the glade well and are prepared and well skilled to deal with things. The fresh coating of snow last week actually made the woods more dangerous, not safer, since it was light snow that was just enough to cover up most hazards so they couldn't be seen, but not enough to keep you from hitting them.
Check out this article. Sobering, but a good lesson to learn from someone else, instead of learning it yourself. This happened a month ago, when there was more snow around than there is now.post #94 of 942/22/16 at 9:16am
Skied Okemo Friday, Sat & Sun. Great conditions for the year we're having. Much warmer then the previous weekend. BTW, my nose is peeling from the frost bite, not like that hasn't happened before.
Saturday got a little suntan going. The snow softened a little, it didn't freeze hard Saturday night so Sunday was fun on the fat skis. The Gotama's plow right through that soft snow.
Over the 3 day's I had a few lift rides as a single and talked with the day trippers. I didn't hear one person say they were having a bad time or it was to icy.
We had a very light mist mid morning on Saturday, lasted about 5-10 minutes. If you looked up to Killington you could see the dark clouds there. I asked the house mate who teaches there on Saturday's if they had rain, she confirmed they did.
Seems this year they're getting more rain then Okemo. I couple weeks back we went up to the Pasta Pot for dinner in Sat night. I noticed Ludlow had more snow on the ground then the area around the Skye Ship Gondola.
Hopefully Killington gets some snow soon, I have 3 free passes to use up.
- Where to go for ski vacation in New England?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- EpicSki Interview with Patrick Torsell of Ski Cooper: Part 1
- › Great older skis 31 minutes ago
- › MA this intermediate(ish) senior skier 36 minutes ago
- › Bump turn on flats 41 minutes ago
- › Using the ankles to maintain balance and to increase your skills 46 minutes ago
- › MA my bump skiing 46 minutes ago
- › The 2017 Oregon Ski Safari : 60 years old. 50 years of skiing... 1 hour, 14 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 1 hour, 18 minutes ago
- › Anyone still ski and love vintage equipment? 1 hour, 40 minutes ago
- › Summit County 4/11-13 1 hour, 53 minutes ago
- › Review: Parlor Kingfisher 105 in medium and stiff flexes 2016-2017 1 hour, 55 minutes ago
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview