My boyfriend and I both have the MCP this year and plan on using it for a few week-long trips out West this season. Both of us are intermediates eager to improve and advance this season. My boyfriend would normally rent skis, but since we're planning on a few trips, I believe the rental costs will equal or surpass the cost of purchasing a pair of good used skis with bindings.
He's not as gung-ho about skiing as I have become, and is already weary about the amount of money we (or I) have already put into this pursuit (which I have admittedly roped him into ).... I'm looking to buy him his first pair of skis as a Christmas present. Again, I would prefer good condition used skis with bindings. Ideally, I would like to stay under $350.
And for the inevitable question: he does have his own boots. Although, they were not professionally fitted. He was a bit turned-off/overwhelmed by the prices and intensity of the boot fitter we initially approached. Instead, we went to another Tahoe shop and got a 50% clearance deal on Salomon X-Max Pro 120s.
I have done a little research on what might work, but I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.
Here's more info:
- Where in the world are you skiing? Live on East Coast, but will most likely do a few week-long trips West (Tahoe/Mammoth, Aspen(Gathering), Alta, maybe Montana). Will prob do a few day trips and weekends in NY/Vermont.
- What kinds of terrain do you prefer (groomed runs, moguls, race course, park'n'pipe, trees, steeps, backcountry/sidecountry) He prefers steep groomers (blues to easy blacks), and always wants to try moguls. If blessed with the ability, he would prob prefer to be on bumps and off-piste.
- How many days a year do you ski? We are aiming for 20 days this season.
- How advanced are you as a skier? Strong intermediate
- What's your height and weight? 6'1", 155-165lbs
Are you looking for one ski to serve all purposes or are you adding a ski to your collection to fit a specific purpose?
Looking for 1 ski quiver good for mixed conditions West and East. Will probably get more days in the West despite Eastern home.
Any thoughts are much appreciated!