or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Boot Fitter in Atlanta or Chattanooga?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Boot Fitter in Atlanta or Chattanooga?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

First, I feel like I need to defend myself for not driving directly over to Columbia to see Marc.  I still may be able to find a way over to see Marc in Columbia, but I'm unsure if it's possible.  The cost of driving an 90 -120 minutes out of my way from Pensacola, FL is much more than gas and drive time.

 

On many of the trips I'll have my wife and all the trips I'll have kids.  Sometimes a two year old.  Many times a 12 year old, 4 year old, and 14 year old.  Telling my wife we have to make a pit stop over to Columbia for ski boots won't work.  She has no desire to go to Columbia...ever.  The kids won't make it a picnic either.

 

And even then...If I only had to drive two hours out of the way once, that may work.  But my feet are super flat and I'll probably need to make several visits.  So I really feel it's in my best interest to get someone on my route.

 

Is Peter Glenn in Atlanta good? 

 

Surely there has to be someone in the big cities of Atlanta and Chattanooga that is good at fitting a ski boot?

post #2 of 13

Umm, I think you mean Mike in SC.

 

My impression is that the guys on SkiSE who live in GA or TN get their boot fitting done either out west or in NC.  There are decent boot fitters in Asheville and Boone.

 

There used to be a ski shop mentioned when people asked about Atlanta but I'm pretty sure it closed 5-6 years ago.

post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 

Ooopps...sorry.. Mike in Columbia.

post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 

Who are the boot fitters in Boone or Asheville?

post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
 

Who are the boot fitters in Boone or Asheville?


I got my first pair of 4-buckle boots about 10 years ago in Banner Elk at Ski Country, right across the road from Sugar Mountain.  They had several options for me to try during the early season SugarFest demo weekend.  Have read of people who were happy with the shop in Asheville.  Looks like they also have a shop in Charlotte, along 1st Tracks in Boone.

 

When I needed a tweak during a trip out west, cost me $25 to have a hot spot blown out.

 

Since then I learned that a ski shop local to me (Raleigh, NC) does good boot fitting.  Dick at C&R has set me up for the last couple pairs of boots.  I kept upgrading because my skiing was improving steadily.  I was an intermediate with a young daughter when I got the boots from Ski Country.  So those were relatively soft, had a walk mode, and I didn't bother with custom footbeds.  I did follow the suggestion to get aftermarket footbeds.  Those boots were way better than the rear-entry boots that were 10 years old at that point.

post #6 of 13
As far as atlanta for good ski boot fitting. Peter Glenn and Rocky Mountain Ski and Board both do an excellent job of boot fitting. They are both located on I-285east on the north side of atlanta if you take I-75North through atlanta get off at exit 258 or 259 and go east on I-285 to exit 25(Roswell rd.) Go south maybe a half mile to Peter Glenn on the right side...and Rocky Mountain Ski and Board is less than a few miles down the road on the left. Joel or Keith at RMSB are damn good guys and will treat you right.
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-D View Post

As far as atlanta for good ski boot fitting. Peter Glenn and Rocky Mountain Ski and Board both do an excellent job of boot fitting. They are both located on I-285east on the north side of atlanta if you take I-75North through atlanta get off at exit 258 or 259 and go east on I-285 to exit 25(Roswell rd.) Go south maybe a half mile to Peter Glenn on the right side...and Rocky Mountain Ski and Board is less than a few miles down the road on the left. Joel or Keith at RMSB are damn good guys and will treat you right.


Good to know!  Thanks for posting.  Don't hear from many skiers from GA.

post #8 of 13
I am originally from Florida. I just had the good fortune to have grandparents who loved to ski...ski all over the place and loved to take me since i was 3...and that was almost 40 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post


Good to know!  Thanks for posting.  Don't hear from many skiers from GA.
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-D View Post

I am originally from Florida. I just had the good fortune to have grandparents who loved to ski...ski all over the place and loved to take me since i was 3...and that was almost 40 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post


Good to know!  Thanks for posting.  Don't hear from many skiers from GA.


Do you ski with friends and family, or mostly solo trips?

 

Reason I ask is that the EpicSki Gathering is in Aspen in early Feb.  Will be quite a few of us who live in the southeast or Mid-Atlantic going then for a week of mid-season big mountain skiing.  I have the luxury of being retired, so will be there after skiing Alta for a few days with friends.  If you are curious, check out the general Gathering thread:

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/141729/the-2016-epicski-gathering-at-aspen-colorado-in-early-february

post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post


Do you ski with friends and family, or mostly solo trips?

Reason I ask is that the EpicSki Gathering is in Aspen in early Feb.  Will be quite a few of us who live in the southeast or Mid-Atlantic going then for a week of mid-season big mountain skiing.  I have the luxury of being retired, so will be there after skiing Alta for a few days with friends.  If you are curious, check out the general Gathering thread:

http://www.epicski.com/t/141729/the-2016-epicski-gathering-at-aspen-colorado-in-early-february
I will be out there with my family. Getting married to my fiance middle Feb.
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-D View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post


Do you ski with friends and family, or mostly solo trips?

Reason I ask is that the EpicSki Gathering is in Aspen in early Feb.  Will be quite a few of us who live in the southeast or Mid-Atlantic going then for a week of mid-season big mountain skiing.  I have the luxury of being retired, so will be there after skiing Alta for a few days with friends.  If you are curious, check out the general Gathering thread:

http://www.epicski.com/t/141729/the-2016-epicski-gathering-at-aspen-colorado-in-early-february
I will be out there with my family. Getting married to my fiance middle Feb.


Congratulations!  Does she ski?    :)

post #12 of 13
Yes she does now. Got her addicted to it at Gatlinburg for 2 years since i live 3hours from there and then took her to do some big mountain skiing last year in summit/eagle colo.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-D View Post

Yes she does now. Got her addicted to it at Gatlinburg for 2 years since i live 3hours from there and then took her to do some big mountain skiing last year in summit/eagle colo.

Thumbs Up

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Boot Fitter in Atlanta or Chattanooga?