or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Looking for new skis - Intermediate woman skiing Argentenia
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for new skis - Intermediate woman skiing Argentenia

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

Mod note: after merging, OP clarified that he is looking to buy skis for himself and his wife. - Threads separated back out. 

 

 

BELOW: original Post #1

 

Hi,

 

Im trying to decide between two 2015 skis, the Fischer KOA 75, and the Atomic Cloud 7. I dont have the chance to demo them.

 

The fischers are $319, while the Atomics are $232.

 

What would you chose and why?

 

Thanks

 

Atomic Cloud 7

Recommended Use: All Mountain
Ability Level: Beginner-Intermediate
Rocker Type: Rocker/Camber
Ski Dimensions: 116.5-71-99mm @148cm
Turn Radius: 12m @148cm
Construction: Sandwich
Core: Composite
Base: Extruded
Binding: XTE 10 Lady

 

Fischer KOA 75

   Recommended Use: All Mountain
   Ability Level: Intermediate
   Rocker Type: Rocker/Camber
   Ski Dimensions: 119-75-102mm @155cm
   Turn Radius: 16m @155cm
   Construction: Sandwich
   Core: Composite
   Base: Sintered
   Binding: Fischer W9 MyStyle

post #2 of 20
Impossible to say since we have no information about the person who will be using the ski, presumably you.
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamafe View Post
 

Hi,

 

Im trying to decide between two 2015 skis, the Fischer KOA 75, and the Atomic Cloud 7. I dont have the chance to demo them.

 

The fischers are $319, while the Atomics are $232.

 

What would you chose and why?

 

Thanks

 

Welcome to EpicSki!  As a Moderator, I can see that you are in Argentina.  Is that where you are going to ski the most?

 

At the top of the Ski Gear forum there are links to two EpicSki Articles that are important to read before moving forward with buying beginner/intermediate skis.  If you have never worked with a boot fitter, start with this one:

 

http://www.epicski.com/a/ski-boots-the-most-important-piece-of-gear-you-will-own

 

To get advice about skis, you need to answer the Five Key Questions about the person who will be using the skis.

 

http://www.epicski.com/a/five-key-questions-when-buying-new-skis

 

post #4 of 20
Thread Starter 
Ok, sorry for the missing info

I will be skiing in Argentina, mostly (if not always) on groomed tracks

Height: 1.63m
Weight: 56kg
Level: Low intermediatte (just started)

Hope to ski 8 to 12 days oer season

Thanks
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamafe View Post
 

Hi,

 

Im trying to decide between two 2015 skis, the Fischer KOA 75, and the Atomic Cloud 7. I dont have the chance to demo them.

 

The fischers are $319, while the Atomics are $232.

 

What would you chose and why?

 

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamafe View Post

Ok, sorry for the missing info

I will be skiing in Argentina, mostly (if not always) on groomed tracks

Height: 1.63m
Weight: 56kg
Level: Low intermediatte (just started)

Hope to ski 8 to 12 days oer season

Thanks

Paging @Trekchick 

 

Have you already bought boots?

post #6 of 20
Thread Starter 
Im open to other recommendations that are in the same price range
post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post

Paging @Trekchick
 

Have you already bought boots?

Not yet. I will by the boots personally next November in USA, but I would like to buy the skis in advance
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamafe View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post

Have you already bought boots?

Not yet. I will by the boots personally next November in USA, but I would like to buy the skis in advance

Do you mean this November, as in a couple months from now?

 

Maybe @TanoB could help you.  He's in Argentina and skis in North America regularly.  Might take him a while to find this thread though.

 

For other suggestions, you might try asking over on TheSkiDiva.com .  There are more women over there familiar with skis good for aspiring intermediates buying skis for the first time.

post #9 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post

Do you mean this November, as in a couple months from now?

Maybe @TanoB
 could help you.  He's in Argentina and skis in North America regularly.  Might take him a while to find this thread though.

For other suggestions, you might try asking over on TheSkiDiva.com .  There are more women over there familiar with skis good for aspiring intermediates buying skis for the first time.

Exactly. Next November
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamafe View Post
 

Mod note: after merging, OP clarified that he is looking to buy skis for himself and his wife. - Threads separated back out. 

 

 

BELOW: original Post #1

 

Hi,

 

Im trying to decide between two 2015 skis, the Fischer KOA 75, and the Atomic Cloud 7. I dont have the chance to demo them.

 

The fischers are $319, while the Atomics are $232.

 

What would you chose and why?

 

Thanks

 

Atomic Cloud 7

Recommended Use: All Mountain
Ability Level: Beginner-Intermediate
Rocker Type: Rocker/Camber
Ski Dimensions: 116.5-71-99mm @148cm
Turn Radius: 12m @148cm
Construction: Sandwich
Core: Composite
Base: Extruded
Binding: XTE 10 Lady

 

Fischer KOA 75

   Recommended Use: All Mountain
   Ability Level: Intermediate
   Rocker Type: Rocker/Camber
   Ski Dimensions: 119-75-102mm @155cm
   Turn Radius: 16m @155cm
   Construction: Sandwich
   Core: Composite
   Base: Sintered
   Binding: Fischer W9 MyStyle


Hi @pamafe  Welcome.  Its exciting to help you and your wife pick out skis. 

 

You're on the right track with the skis you've chosen.  You really can't go wrong with either one of those, and both will grow with her ability for a few seasons. 

 

The big hope you have is that you ski so much that you both outgrow your skis and want something more advanced before the ski season is done! :D

 

Other skis you may like to look for that will fit the skiing you describe 

K2 Potion 80 or potion 76.  I think the Potion 80 will be more of a long term ski for her.  This is a very versatile ski with smooth feel. 

Head Absolute Joy - will give a little more energy but is super light and fun

post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamafe View Post


Not yet. I will by the boots personally next November in USA, but I would like to buy the skis in advance


Hi there,

 

http://www.epicski.com/a/boot-fitting-which-boot-will-work-for-me

 

The most important piece of gear you can own is your ski boots---read through the above article and pay close attention to how to "Shell Fit" the boot you decide to purchase.  Getting the right size / fit is the one issue most folks will get wrong the first time buying boots.  Print the article out and take it with you to the boot shop as a reference----(the internet will not help you even though it seems to save $$$)

If you save a few $$ and settle on the wrong fit, which you may have them for a long time and they will always negatively effect your skiing.

 

mike

post #12 of 20
Thread Starter 

Hi Mike,

 

Thanks for the info.

I will be buying the boots while on vacation in FL.  Thats not the best place to buy ski gear for sure, I know.

I was thinking about going to peterglenn and try the boots there. I dont know if they have good fitters, or if they have boot fitters at all.

The rest of the equipment, I was thinking on buying in advance, specially the skis.

But I do understand that the boots are the most important piece of gear.

 

Regards

post #13 of 20
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the reply.

i will check the K2 potion 80. I dont think she will like the plain design of the heads :)

post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamafe View Post
 

Thanks for the reply.

i will check the K2 potion 80. I dont think she will like the plain design of the heads :)


Check back and let us know what you find. 

post #15 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
 


Check back and let us know what you find. 

 

What do you think of the Dynastars?

http://www.skis.com/Dynastar-Powertrack-79-Fluid-Skis-with-NX-11-Bindings-2015/382403P,default,pd.html

post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamafe View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
 


Check back and let us know what you find. 

 

What do you think of the Dynastars?

http://www.skis.com/Dynastar-Powertrack-79-Fluid-Skis-with-NX-11-Bindings-2015/382403P,default,pd.html


If she's a true intermediate, then yes, the Dynastar Powertrack 79 is a good choice.  

post #17 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
 


If she's a true intermediate, then yes, the Dynastar Powertrack 79 is a good choice.  

Sorry wrong post, I was asking about the Dynastars for me :)

Im intermediate, 1.83 and 75kg, and Im considering the Dynastars 1.66m long. What do you think?

post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamafe View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
 


If she's a true intermediate, then yes, the Dynastar Powertrack 79 is a good choice.  

Sorry wrong post, I was asking about the Dynastars for me :)

Im intermediate, 1.83 and 75kg, and Im considering the Dynastars 1.66m long. What do you think?


This would be the women's version of that ski. 

Still a really nice ski and something she'd probably like 

http://www.skiessentials.com/2015-dynastar-women-s-neva-78-skis-w-xpress-11-bindings.html

Dynastar Neva 78

 

Also, if you're still thinking about the Fischers 

post #19 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
 


This would be the women's version of that ski. 

Still a really nice ski and something she'd probably like 

http://www.skiessentials.com/2015-dynastar-women-s-neva-78-skis-w-xpress-11-bindings.html

Dynastar Neva 78

 

Also, if you're still thinking about the Fischers 

How does the last sentence end? 

The Fischers KOA 75 are my first option for her so far.

 

For me, Im deciding between

 

http://www.skis.com/2016-dynastar-powertrack-79-ski-review/osvr-388833,default,pg.html

and

http://www.skis.com/Atomic-Nomad-Blackeye-Skis-with-XTO-12-Bindings-2015/360560P,default,pd.html

post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamafe View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
 


This would be the women's version of that ski. 

Still a really nice ski and something she'd probably like 

http://www.skiessentials.com/2015-dynastar-women-s-neva-78-skis-w-xpress-11-bindings.html

Dynastar Neva 78

 

Also, if you're still thinking about the Fischers 

How does the last sentence end? 

The Fischers KOA 75 are my first option for her so far.

 

For me, Im deciding between

 

http://www.skis.com/2016-dynastar-powertrack-79-ski-review/osvr-388833,default,pg.html

and

http://www.skis.com/Atomic-Nomad-Blackeye-Skis-with-XTO-12-Bindings-2015/360560P,default,pd.html


Oops sorry, I was going to tell you to check with @dawgcatching  but I checked his website and he's sold out of those Fischers. 

@skiessentials @mtcyclist @dawgcatching  are all great supporters of EpicSki and its nice when we can find something someone is looking for with those people. 

 

I linked ski essentials with the other ski and this is dawg's site. 

https://www.dawgcatching.com

I'll have to see if I can find BootRX which is where mtcyclist works. 

 

All of these members give freely of their knowledge without expecting anything in return but its nice when we can find a way to give back to them. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Looking for new skis - Intermediate woman skiing Argentenia