Hi guys, I have been a member of other various ski forums in the past, but this is the one that keeps popping up as I do my googling - so I figured I should just join and ask my question directly. Any help is appreciated :)
I am looking for a good ski resort to go to approx Dec 27-Jan 2 this year. Unfortunately my only time off this winter is Christmas break, so I'm trying to find a good ski hill to avoid crowds as much as possible during that period.
- I would like to be out West, but stay in Canada (i.e. Alberta or BC) as I have never been out before.
- Not overly crowded - this is subjective, I have skied/snowboarded many times at Tremblant during Christmas or March break and dealt with it fine. So basically it would be nice to have waits <10mins for the lifts and not be dodging people the whole time going down the hill.
- For ski conditions powder is great, but I'm from out East so I don't expect it! I love black (and blue) groomers, and my dad is not a fan of moguls or hills that don't do much grooming.
- I prefer well-defined narrow-ish trails surrounded by trees - I know this sounds like a weird thing to include. Basically I hate bowl skiing (sorry) and never knowing "where the runs are" on the map. My last big trip was to Utah, and I loved Snowbasin and especially Solitude. I hated the back face of Snowbird. Actually, finding somewhere like Solitude in BC/Alberta would be ideal.
- It would be nice if there was a slopeside village or nearby town. My mom will probably come with us, and she's not much of a skier. She likes nice shops, restaurants, hotels to stay busy during the day.
Vertical matters less to me, not used to the giant mountains anyway so am expecting some thigh burn no matter what haha.
Nice to have:
- Short drive from a bigger airport to avoid lots of winter driving (or multiple layovers coming from Ontario)
- Ski in/ski out
I have never been to Whistler and have wanted to go for years, but I feel like Christmas break probably isn't the best time? What would lift lines be like, and how crowded would the hill be? I know my mom would love the village. Would it be the same with Lake Louise? I was also looking in to Big White (foggy?), Sun Peaks, Panorama. Any other suggestions?
If you actually read all that, thank you very much :)