Last weekend was pretty nice, this weekend looks decent. For mid-March skiing in a messed-up weather year I'll take what I can get.
Recent Images In This Thread
- itemBlue Knobtagged by marznc, 10/4/15
- itemBoyne Highlands Resorttagged by marznc, 9/16/15
- itemChestnut Mountain Resorttagged by marznc, 12/12/15
- itemHoliday Valleytagged by marznc, 10/3/15
- itemIndianhead Mountaintagged by marznc, 12/28/15
- itemMount Bohemiatagged by marznc, 9/21/15
- itemNub's Nobtagged by marznc, 9/16/15
- itemSnowshoetagged by marznc, 10/4/15
- topicWeathertagged by tylrwnzl, 9/23/15
Related Forum Threads
- Where is everyone going to ski this season in the Midwest? Last post on 1/12/14 at 4:05pm in General Skiing Discussion
- 2016-2017 Midwest Season...What's new? Last post on 3/6/17 at 5:40pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Seeking input on No. Vermont [from Columbus, OH] Last post on 9/27/16 at 7:43am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- 2016-17 Southeast/Mid-Atlantic meetups, weather (NC, VA, WV, MD, west PA) Last post on 3/23/17 at 3:59pm in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- Cold enough for snowmaking in Michigan! Last post on 11/18/14 at 11:29am in Skiing News
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- Blue Knob Pennsylvania Unofficial GuideLast edited: 4/1/16
- Northern Hemisphere Snow Statistics Since 1967Last edited: 12/9/11
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
2015-2016 Midwest Season...What's Coming? - Page 10
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #272 of 2853/17/16 at 6:18amThread Starterpost #273 of 2853/19/16 at 7:40amThread Starterpost #274 of 2853/21/16 at 10:22amHeaded to the up this weekend. That foot last week in the western up extended them another couple of weeks. I thought they were done for two weeks ago when it was 67. Hopefully the Keweenaw gets a ton and bohemia can last well into aprilpost #275 of 2853/21/16 at 2:06pmThread Starter
Yesterday was simply great skiing and great fun.
The snowpack held up all day.
Ran into Trailtrimmer but had to go to keep an appointment.
Latest update from Nubs...
Photo taken at the bottom of Scarface on 3/21/16
Michigan's best spring skiing is at NUB'S NOB!
Priority number one at Nub's is to provide the "Midwest's Best Snow" and there has never been a winter that more clearly demonstrates that commitment. Still open on more runs than anyone else in Michigan, and not a bare spot to be found, skiing and boarding right now is excellent. Lifts run everyday from 9 till 4:30 p.m. servicing all groomed runs on the Front side and Nub's South. Pintail Peak will reopen Friday thru Sunday with great conditions and bring our slope total to 42 runs. With a 10 day forecast calling for seasonal temperatures and both sunshine and snow, discounted lift tickets and great sales in the Demo Center and General Store, the last two weeks of the season promise to be some of the best sliding of the year.
April 3rd is our final scheduled day of the season.post #276 of 2853/21/16 at 4:46pm
I was at Nubs Nob on Saturday and had a great time. We got there right at 9 and everything, including Pintail, was very nicely groomed. As the day went on it started to get a little soft, but still not bad at all compared to the rest of our weekend. They are charging a $40 spring rate, which was much appreciated especially since conditions were good.
We went to Boyne Mt on Sunday and it was a totally different story with bare/muddy spots on several runs and a few inches of slush on most others. They were still charging full price on lift tickets despite these conditions which was disappointing having gotten a nice discount for much nicer conditions the previous day at Nubs. Oh well.
Also went to Crystal Mt on Friday night and was greeted by the staff giving us evening tickets for $10 due to conditions, which was neat. What was open (just over half of the runs) was in decent shape, but some runs (especially Loki and Thor) had some significant piles of slush that kept things very interesting. We weren't expecting much since we got there so late in the day, but we had a good time.
Overall we had a great weekend given the weather and general trend of this winterpost #277 of 2853/21/16 at 6:33pmNubs + carving skis = big grins on Sunday. NASTAR was fast and furious and trying out tele skis for the first time was a hoot.
Every other place has mud and dirt, nubs just has snow. I'll be back next weekend for certainpost #278 of 2853/22/16 at 5:49am
Yeah, Nubs was awesome Friday, Saturday, and Sunday this past weekend. I heard Monday was just as awesome. The stretch of sunny days, with temps in the low 20s at night and upper 30's during the day set-up for some awesome conditions over the weekend.
Mardi Gras was a good time as always, crowds seemed lighter than usual but probably also because the Boynes had their spring carnival parties the same weekend and also once we got those 60-70 degree days downstate it probably shut-off the interest of all but the die-hards.
I wrapped up my Nubs season Sunday since I'm busy the next two weekends with other things but it should be nice to the end. I've got one last trip out west in mid-April to end it.
What a strange winter its been. The first two weeks of March where a bit too warm, but the second half of March is shaping up nicely for some March skiing.post #279 of 2853/22/16 at 1:16pm
Lutsen was 100% open this past weekend as well. With a foot of new snow, coverage was really good. There were a few scraped-off patches by Sat. afternoon, but not many. Soft enough to be easy to dig an edge into, no slush at all.
Typical conversation on the chairlift: "Where to next?" "I don't care, they're all great."
Last I looked, they run a 2-for-1 sale over Easter weekend, and there's no major thaw in the near-term forecast...post #280 of 2853/24/16 at 3:50pmThread Starter
Easy 12" that will groom beautifully.
Come to Nub's Nob this weekend for epic spring skiing!
Reasons to visit Nub's Nob this weekend:
- A foot of fresh snow landed at Nub's Nob in the past 24 hours.
- Weekend forecast is calling for sun and temperatures in the upper 30's.
- Nearly 100% of our terrain will be open including terrain park, cross country trails, glades and Pintail Peak.
- Lift tickets are at spring rates and you can find awesome deals on lodging that include lift tickets by clicking here.
- Easter Egg hunt for the kids on Sunday afternoon.
- Most items in the General Store are 40% off and we are selling our 2015-16 Demo Skis at wholesale prices.
Only two weekends left! The last day of the season is April 3rd.post #281 of 2853/24/16 at 8:29pmpost #282 of 2854/7/16 at 9:05pmpost #283 of 2854/8/16 at 6:46amThread Starter
End of the season at Nubs was a powder day.
Full on snowstorm.
I lured my recently back from Florida buddy Doug out for his first and last day.
Doug can ski and I'm lucky to have had him as a skiing friend.
Former head of the PSIA Central Region Technical committee and Senior Examiner, Doug certified the LIII's.
The goal of his skiing is smoothness and efficiency.
A totally great last day and the best last two weeks for a season I can remember.
Next year Bears!
Now to heal up for a few weeks before the watersports begin.post #284 of 2854/11/16 at 10:14am
This thread is locked
- 2015-2016 Midwest Season...What's Coming?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Blue Knob Pennsylvania Unofficial Guide
- › 2016 / 17 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke 1 minute ago
- › Best East Coast Skiing in late Spring? 1 minute ago
- › Looking for a pair of park/freestyle ski 2 minutes ago
- › Mountains that offer skiing and mountain biking 2 minutes ago
- › Skier dies in accident at Hunter Mountain 3 minutes ago
- › Yep, Another Boot Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Aspen end of March?? 15 minutes ago
- › My 2nd annual Banff trip: March 9 – 11, 2017 18 minutes ago
- › Taos Ski Valley 2016-2017 Ski, Stoke, Weather 19 minutes ago
- › Real advice on skis in the 100-110 waist 24 minutes ago
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview