- 2,505 Posts. Joined 9/2007
- Location: Springboro, OH
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- itemBlue Knobtagged by marznc, 10/4/15
- itemBoyne Highlands Resorttagged by marznc, 9/16/15
- itemChestnut Mountain Resorttagged by marznc, 12/12/15
- itemHoliday Valleytagged by marznc, 10/3/15
- itemIndianhead Mountaintagged by marznc, 12/28/15
- itemMount Bohemiatagged by marznc, 9/21/15
- itemNub's Nobtagged by marznc, 9/16/15
- itemSnowshoetagged by marznc, 10/4/15
- topicWeathertagged by tylrwnzl, 9/23/15
Related Forum Threads
- Where is everyone going to ski this season in the Midwest? Last post on 1/12/14 at 4:05pm in General Skiing Discussion
- 2016-2017 Midwest Season...What's new? Last post on 10/19/16 at 5:25am in General Skiing Discussion
- Seeking input on No. Vermont [from Columbus, OH] Last post on 9/27/16 at 7:43am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- 2016-17 Southeast/Mid-Atlantic meetups, weather (NC, VA, WV, MD, west PA) Last post on 10/25/16 at 8:25pm in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- Cold enough for snowmaking in Michigan! Last post on 11/18/14 at 11:29am in Skiing News
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- Blue Knob Pennsylvania Unofficial GuideLast edited: 4/1/16
- Northern Hemisphere Snow Statistics Since 1967Last edited: 12/9/11
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
2015-2016 Midwest Season...What's Coming? - Page 9post #241 of 2851/10/16 at 5:04amI made it out to ski for a little while yesterday and all things considered it was a great day to ski. The snow was soft but not slushy. I was hoping to get back out today but that's not going to happen. Next weekend should be a whole different (and better) experience too.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #242 of 2851/10/16 at 12:54pm
Was actually out this morning for a couple hours before having to drive back to Louisville. Ten times better than on Tuesday/Wednesday of this week. The base had softened up a bit from the rain and the added snow (natural and man made) has helped a ton. Next weekend will definitely be the best of the year by far.
Had to pay for a ticket for my wife (no pass for her) and was reminded how high PNS actually is for daily lift passes ($47). Looking forward to getting back out there next Sunday if I can, but who knows how things will work out.post #243 of 2851/10/16 at 2:07pmQuote:
!!!!! You need to check out ticket prices at the Vail Resorts. Figure 3X that!. And Killington, VT was charging $94 today.post #244 of 2851/10/16 at 4:08pmVery familiar with vail rates but comparing product to price there isn't a comparison. 70 open acres or so for 47 bucks isn't exactly value. Don't get me wrong, I love my local resort but they need to tone it down a hair until they at least get everything open with a decent base.post #245 of 2851/10/16 at 4:34pmQuote:Originally Posted by cdtotten
Very familiar with vail rates but comparing product to price there isn't a comparison. 70 open acres or so for 47 bucks isn't exactly value. Don't get me wrong, I love my local resort but they need to tone it down a hair until they at least get everything open with a decent base.
That's how I feel about our local ones as well.. It's crappy base and they're still charging full price at $73 and not all lifts/trails are open.. Sucks.. The base at one of ours is 20-24" lol just not enough for me to make an hour and a half trip.. miss work.. and pay that kind of money.. yet :)post #246 of 2851/10/16 at 4:49pm
It's tough. I buy a season pass every year and will get my "value" out of it from a visit perspective... easily. But what bothers me is that the season pass price for my local hill is actually higher than the season pass at, say, Snowshoe, which is a significantly better mountain. I am an accountant and understand the economics of it all... shorter season = higher prices to make it worthwhile, but at the end of the day, you also have to provide reasonable value to your customer. I will always support Perfect North and compared to my other local option (Paoli Peaks), it is lightyears beyond what they offer at a similar cost, but the pricing is always a sticky subject.post #247 of 2851/10/16 at 5:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by cdtotten
It's tough. I buy a season pass every year and will get my "value" out of it from a visit perspective... easily. But what bothers me is that the season pass price for my local hill is actually higher than the season pass at, say, Snowshoe, which is a significantly better mountain. I am an accountant and understand the economics of it all... shorter season = higher prices to make it worthwhile, but at the end of the day, you also have to provide reasonable value to your customer. I will always support Perfect North and compared to my other local option (Paoli Peaks), it is lightyears beyond what they offer at a similar cost, but the pricing is always a sticky subject.
Totally. I haven't bought a season pass ever.. Yet. But my bf gets a season pass to snowshoe. I went with him Feb 21st weekend in 2015 and it was my first year riding. Loved it there. A shame it's 4 hours from us but worth it for a weekend. And when we go to liberty or whitetail it just sucks because I get the whole okay shorter season higher prices but make it worth the customers while to come out when season is later.. Or maybe we will still have decent snow in March when they normally close.. Who knows. But yeah I get it.. I'm a data analyst as well so I see the gist of it all.. 😂😂 didn't say I liked it 😮😋post #248 of 2851/17/16 at 5:34amPerfect North is looking good now with everything open. Yesterday was nice. Snow was nice soft and easy to turn on. This season is finally starting to look good. Holiday weekend crowds weren't bad and lift lines were minimal. Plenty of comedy watching beginners yard sale on blue chair and center stage.post #249 of 2851/17/16 at 6:49pmpost #250 of 2851/18/16 at 8:25pm
Mother nature delivered to Northern Michigan over the past week and in particular over the weekend. A needed shot in the arm to have a good MLK weekend after the rough start in December.
Nub's had 12" pow Sunday morning and was all-time. Excellent powder everywhere, the glades were skiing awesome and yesterday was one of those as good as it gets days for Northern Michigan skiing. An added bonus too was yesterday there was relatively little wind so with temps in the high teens and no wind it was quite comfortable out.
The Lake Effect was delivering and continuing to do so today. Great to see everyone out downhill skiing, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, or just taking in the winter wonderland over the weekend.post #251 of 2851/19/16 at 7:45ampost #252 of 2851/21/16 at 2:12pmThread Starter
Pretty unbelievable conditions at Nubs.
We have gotten over 41/2 feet of light, lake effect snow in the last week.
Yesterday I got 10-12" of light powder over a perfectly groomed base.
It was snowing so hard tracks were filling in between runs and not much wind.
It was as close to Snowbird as a Midwest hill can get.
More coming next week.post #253 of 2851/21/16 at 3:48pmpost #254 of 2851/21/16 at 4:42pmpost #255 of 2851/21/16 at 8:34pmpost #256 of 2851/22/16 at 7:27pmpost #257 of 2851/23/16 at 12:09pmpost #258 of 2851/24/16 at 6:04pmpost #259 of 2851/25/16 at 4:53am
Did a quick trip to Caberfae yesterday with my daughter. Conditions were excellent. Busy, but not packed. I forgot how congested it gets at the top of north and south peak lifts...too many trails feeding from such small areas.post #260 of 2853/1/16 at 10:10am
We've had some good weekends in the shortened season but with rain and thunderstorms today followed by temps in the 60s and 70s next week I expect this weekend to be the last for PNS.post #261 of 2853/1/16 at 11:53am
Man this winter has gone by fast.....
In Northern Michigan - December was awful. January was awesome with the huge helping of lake effect thats basically carried the winter. February has been decent, with some snow but a few warm-ups in the middle but didn't take out the snowpack at least. March is starting out okay but looks like its going to warm-up starting next week.post #262 of 2853/1/16 at 3:26pmThread Starter
Get it while you can.
The skunks have come out to mate and that usually isn't good news for spring skiing.
How's that for local knowledge?
You can smell spring coming around here.post #263 of 2853/1/16 at 4:22pm
Interesting that Nubs made snow last night and is making snow again tonight, I think they know this is their last hurrah and good snowmaking window to get enough snow down to carry them through their Mardi Gras and Easter weekend. Looks like lot of 40s and 50s in the forecast starting later next week.post #264 of 2853/2/16 at 5:13ampost #265 of 2853/2/16 at 10:45ampost #266 of 2853/4/16 at 7:58amQuote:
Same here on the East Coast, it'll be 75 next week and mostly 60s throughout :( Not much of a season here hopefully next year will be good. We'll be heading to Tahoe more than likely in Jan 2017.post #267 of 2853/4/16 at 8:01ampost #268 of 2853/4/16 at 8:20amQuote:
Well, yeah, somebody ran over one on Pleasantview last weekend. I suppose he was out to mate...
Anyway, I'll be out this weekend, Sat Sun Mon with a (slim) chance of the Highlands on sunday instead of Nubs.
Here's hoping we make it to April.post #269 of 2853/4/16 at 3:25pmThread Starterpost #270 of 2853/16/16 at 3:53pmThread Starter
Nubs still has a great snowpack and the weather for Friday, Saturday and maybe early Sunday looks near perfect.
It is going to snow a bit tonight, then freeze Thursday night with great weather predicted for Friday and Saturday.
Plus, its Mardi Gras weekend at Nubs.
The season has sucked but it does look like we might get a gift to end it.
This thread is locked
- 2015-2016 Midwest Season...What's Coming?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Blue Knob Pennsylvania Unofficial Guide
- › Big Bear 2016-2017 9 minutes ago
- › Do I need a snow tire? 16 minutes ago
- › GogglePal - anyone test this universal HUD yet? 36 minutes ago
- › CO Man ordered to pay $260,000 in damages from skiing accident 45 minutes ago
- › Anyone using AT All Terrain tire that's great in snow - Likes and... 47 minutes ago
- › 2016-2017 Four Corners (S.CO/AZ/NM) Weather Discussion 54 minutes ago
- › Basic entry level poles? 55 minutes ago
- › Kids Group vs Semi-Private Lesson 59 minutes ago
- › What do you take when resort skiing? 1 hour, 5 minutes ago
- › FS: Stockli Stormrider 88, 177cm, w/Marker Griffon demo bindings, $425 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer