or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › K2 Rictor's for a 15 y/o?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

K2 Rictor's for a 15 y/o?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 

First post--long time reader and have always found extremely helpful info on the site!  Finally have a question that I'm hoping you all could help with.  

 

My son is an intermediate skier (starting to tip towards upper intermediate) and I'm looking at possibly handing down my way-too-short for me 167 2013 K2 Rictor's which have just been replaced with some Blizzard Brahmas (180s).  He's coming up on 15 year's old and is about 5'8" and roughly 150lbs.  Will the 167's be too much ski for him?  He's currently on a K2 Force @ 153 which he's really outskied this past year and has progressed very quickly (I actually think he's skis are stunting his progression a bit).   I've read so many ski size charts but nothing specific to this ski.  

 

He'll primarily do east coast skiing, but will venture out west with me for a few days of skiing in Park City this coming Feb.  Your input is very much appreciated.  Thanks!

post #2 of 6

A friend (Italian ski instructor) has a son a year younger than yours and he rides 82 Rictors in that length. He's a bit short than 5'9", but is an advanced skier. So seems to me they might be a great tool to help him up his technique. They might be a tiny bit of a shock at first, but skiing a little long gives the stability and confidence to improve technique on groomers in my opinion.

post #3 of 6

The worst case is that he hates them because they are USED!

post #4 of 6

is he wearing men's sized boots?  or still on kid's boots.  That would be the only concern.

 

Follow the basic rental sizing guidelines, chinheight  to head height.  By specs, the skis are within his range.

post #5 of 6
They'll be fine. For this season. Because he'll be another foot taller next season.
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by okenobi View Post

A friend (Italian ski instructor) has a son a year younger than yours and he rides 82 Rictors in that length. He's a bit short than 5'9", but is an advanced skier. So seems to me they might be a great tool to help him up his technique. They might be a tiny bit of a shock at first, but skiing a little long gives the stability and confidence to improve technique on groomers in my opinion.

Thanks... That's what I was thinking as well--a bit of a shock, but he'll get used to them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali pine View Post

The worst case is that he hates them because they are USED!

Lol...I'm very fortunate that he's not that type of kid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytseng View Post

is he wearing men's sized boots?  or still on kid's boots.  That would be the only concern.

Follow the basic rental sizing guidelines, chinheight  to head height.  By specs, the skis are within his range.

He is in man-sized boots...I don't remember the size, but he's in an 11 ½ shoe (and has outgrown his boots from last season). Thanks for the reassurance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

They'll be fine. For this season. Because he'll be another foot taller next season.

Lol...I'm sure he'll be out skiing me in short order and then asking to swap skis with me!

Thanks for all the responses!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › K2 Rictor's for a 15 y/o?