I saw this morning that they got 3-5 inches of new snow last night (well above the forecast amount) and sighed, also wishing I was there.
Recent Images In This Thread
- itemHeavenlytagged by marznc, 12/27/15
- itemKirkwood Mountain Resorttagged by marznc, 12/27/15
- itemMt. Rose - Ski Tahoetagged by marznc, 12/27/15
- itemNorthstar-at-Tahoetagged by marznc, 12/27/15
- itemSierra-at-Tahoe Ski Resorttagged by marznc, 4/10/16
- brandSquaw Valleytagged by marznc, 12/27/15
- itemSugar Bowl Resorttagged by marznc, 12/27/15
Related Forum Threads
- Spending Christmas in Sacramento Last post on 10/23/13 at 12:38pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Outside Magazine’s 2012 Ski Resort Rankings Last post on 11/7/12 at 7:44am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- 2012 / 13 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke Thread Last post on 9/9/13 at 5:07pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Typically, when are the best Tahoe conditions? Last post on 10/12/11 at 10:20pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- 2014 / 15 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke Last post on 9/11/15 at 1:15pm in General Skiing Discussion
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/17/16
- Northstar California Unofficial GuideLast edited: 10/16/13
- Sugar Bowl, CA - A PictorialLast edited: 10/14/13
- Squaw Valley Unofficial GuideLast edited: 7/17/15
- Kirkwood, CA - A PictorialLast edited: 9/9/13
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
2015 / 16 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke - Bring on El Nino! - Page 44post #1291 of 15193/28/16 at 11:03am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1292 of 15193/28/16 at 2:59pmpost #1293 of 15193/28/16 at 3:20pmpost #1294 of 15193/28/16 at 3:28pmI only skied a couple hours sun, and bottom near the lifts were starting to get sticky much faster than expected by 11am. Did not see any monsoon. Top areas were nice and soft but dry, but I was not on my A game to ride it well.
Definitely wax and brush out your skis for anyone going to any resort.
Heavenly on Sat was also good upper mtn still fully covered but firm and softening unevenly.
CA lower mtn areas and certain aspects now showing dirt. I ran out of snow on hogsback (straight off of groove) which I usually take as last run and had to hike halfway to roundabout. Definitely it's a coin flip now to just download down gunbarell instead of slogging downpost #1295 of 15193/28/16 at 6:56pm
My friend said the 5" Northstar reported this morning was legitimate and that at least 3" more fell during the day, He reported 8" at his house at 6000' a couple of miles N of Truckee by this afternoon. While I feel like I'm missing out, this week and the week of MLK are the only two weeks so far in 2016 that I have not skied at least one day between Mon and Wed.post #1296 of 15193/29/16 at 1:22pmQuote:Originally Posted by tseeb
My friend said the 5" Northstar reported this morning was legitimate and that at least 3" more fell during the day, He reported 8" at his house at 6000' a couple of miles N of Truckee by this afternoon. While I feel like I'm missing out, this week and the week of MLK are the only two weeks so far in 2016 that I have not skied at least one day between Mon and Wed.
How many days on the mountain do you usually get in a season? I picked up 30+ for the first time ever this season. 33 at Squawpine (mostly Squaw), 1 a Diamond Peak, 1 at N* and 2 at Sugar Bowl for total of 37 days.post #1297 of 15193/29/16 at 1:43pmThread Starter
Counting backcountry I'm at 30+ days this season for the first time ever... somewhere around 32 or 34 right now, not exactly sure. I plan on skiing quite a bit more. Definitely will surpass 40 days.post #1298 of 15193/29/16 at 1:48pmQuote:
I'm at 43 days and still trying for 50. So far more than half of my days this season have included more than a few powder turns. That will change this weekend as I plan to ski the upcoming Sat-Mon with my wife and it looks like Spring skiing except for maybe on Monday.
I skied 19 days in February - none of them in California. But I was only a few miles N at Mt Ashland, OR on 2/29 plus also skied CO, BC and for first time ever in WA (Crystal).
The previous five seasons I have averaged 38 1/2 with the high of 44 in 2011-12 and a low of 29 the following year.post #1299 of 15193/29/16 at 1:54pmpost #1300 of 15193/29/16 at 2:55pmQuote:
I should have said I was almost at 50 days just to see what JayT would reply with :)post #1301 of 15193/29/16 at 4:25pmThread Starterpost #1302 of 15193/29/16 at 6:29pmpost #1303 of 15193/30/16 at 7:14amQuote:Is Kirkwood back side still open?
E-mail I just received says Trails Open: 86 of 86 for Kirkwood so I think the answer is still Yes. That info is also not very hard to look up during the day on their website or Facebook.post #1304 of 15193/30/16 at 8:43ampost #1305 of 15193/30/16 at 11:08am
Here are some short clips of the spring skiing last weekend at Alpine and Squaw. First one is of my boys tearing up the "butter" at Alpine on Friday March 24. My boys and I call the soft snow butter when you can cut right through it. The second clip is of me skiing Smoothie at Squaw. I finally skied Smoothie two weeks ago at Squaw and then again last Saturday. Conditions were perfect this past Saturday for Smoothie. The hike is worth it!
Skiing the soft 'butter' @ Alpine Meadows (March 25-2016)
Skiing Smoothie @ Squaw Valley (March 26-2016)post #1306 of 15193/30/16 at 6:49pmQuote:
Cracked 40 the other day... Will get to 50 pretty easy this year, maybe even to 60 depending on weather and how the snow holds up.post #1307 of 15193/30/16 at 10:02pmThread Starterpost #1308 of 15193/30/16 at 11:28pm
I'm at 33 days half Tahoe and half planned trips to JH & Aspen.
Alpine Meadows was quite nice today. Sun softened lower and sun exposed mid mountain runs. All Groomers were good
and not too heavy at bottom. Some lower runs and Lakeview runs were a bit sticky. Didn't get to Sherwood.
Ungroomed lower runs at bottom right (eg 3 sisters) probably looked like the janky just posted soft "butter" video
Short and easy day as I'm still a bit dizzy getting over a weird illness for a week.
Still did a bit of gnar. D8 (groomed !), North Peril, & Peters Peril had the best snow -nice. Palisades -not so good- frozen thick
dust on crust. Scott Chute softened well at end of day. Almost all runs were open. Mostly overcast.
One gigantic snowball (about 10 ft diameter!) had rolled down Idiots Delight and stopped half way down Wolverine Bowl. I
hope they break it up before crazy kids try to push it downhill. Could do serious damage !post #1309 of 15193/31/16 at 6:17amQuote:
Yeah, it is a tough life, but someone has to do it.
As for my BC set up, well that has been postponed by the wife and the oppressive goverments of both the U.S. of A. and the State of Californina. You see the goverments claim I have to pay them taxes and the wife agrees. So until the crooks.... oops.... (sorry I slipped) until the govement is paid, no BC set up for me. Years ago I would have blown off the goverment and bought the BC set up, this being a responible adult is BS.... That is my sad story.. lolpost #1310 of 15193/31/16 at 2:09pmpost #1311 of 15193/31/16 at 3:11pmpost #1312 of 15193/31/16 at 3:19pmQuote:
This is what I saw earlier:
It would have to be "conditions permitting" but either way it's hats off to Squaw if they do seriously attempt it.post #1313 of 15193/31/16 at 3:37pmpost #1314 of 15193/31/16 at 3:57pm
Kudos to them, but it kind of feels like an over-reaction (one that they may have second thoughts on come May 1) to an average year after 4 bad ones. I fully intend to take advantage of their enthusiasm, however!post #1315 of 15193/31/16 at 4:52pmThread Starter
Guys, the Gazex on Headwall face is completely buried which means there's like 20 feet of snow there.
At Alpine, there are currently no cliffs or rocks visible in the Palisades below ABC.
They can easily stay open through May, like they used to all the time.post #1316 of 15193/31/16 at 4:52pmpost #1317 of 15193/31/16 at 5:25pmpost #1318 of 15193/31/16 at 6:40pm
Unfortunately the water content is not as high as average. While it will be a better year than the past 4, it's not going to put as big of a dent in our drought as we thought..
If Squaw is open on May 13th, I may just have to make a run for it.post #1319 of 15193/31/16 at 6:58pmpost #1320 of 15193/31/16 at 9:48pmThread StarterQuote:
While that matters, the other thing that has killed us in recent years is the thin snowpack. A thick snow pack keeps the heat from passing all the way to the ground and then the melting goes wild. So even if it's warm, there's plenty of snow up top to prevent that sort of thing.Quote:
Me too. And really all over both mountains, all of the lines are so different now. Some much, much easier, others harder. The cornice drop-ins along Beaver are nasty right now. It's like a 10+ foot air to 50 degree pitch until it starts to flatten out. Fun, but they sure get your attention.
This thread is locked
- 2015 / 16 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke - Bring on El Nino!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Northstar California Unofficial Guide
- › What do you take when resort skiing? 1 minute ago
- › Help me analyse some of my turns? 2 minutes ago
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 2 minutes ago
- › Confirmed: VW bringing Golf Sportwagen Alltrack to the U.S. (for... 9 minutes ago
- › Dalbello/Intuition problem 11 minutes ago
- › Ski Instructor Demo: Short video of TDK skiing in St Anton 13 minutes ago
- › Ski Pole length question? along with decision on what ones to buy 15 minutes ago
- › Snobahn Indoor Ski and Snowboard Training Center - 3 Instructors... 26 minutes ago
- › EpicSki is not down - Comcast major DNS outage 40 minutes ago
- › Travel Agent t that specializes in Europe 42 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer