Recent Images In This Thread
- itemAppalachian Ski Mtn.tagged by marznc, 11/22/15
- itemBeech Mountain Resorttagged by marznc, 11/22/15
- itemCanaan Valley Resorttagged by marznc, 11/22/15
- itemCataloochee Ski Areatagged by marznc, 11/22/15
- itemMassanutten Ski Resorttagged by marznc, 11/22/15
- itemSnowshoetagged by marznc, 11/22/15
- itemSugar Mountain Ski Areatagged by marznc, 11/22/15
- itemThe Homesteadtagged by Redleg, 11/22/15
- itemTimberline Four Seasons Resorttagged by marznc, 11/22/15
- itemWintergreen Resorttagged by marznc, 11/22/15More
- itemWinterplace Ski Resorttagged by Redleg, 11/22/15
- itemWolf Ridge Ski Resorttagged by marznc, 11/22/15
Related Forum Threads
- 2016-17 Southeast/Mid-Atlantic meetups, weather (NC, VA, WV, MD, west PA) Last post on 10/20/16 at 9:49am in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- The 2014-15 thread for NC, VA, SC, GA, WV, etc.. Last post on 9/8/15 at 7:32pm in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- Long Easy Greens for a first-timer [family driving from TN, beginners and intermediates] Last post on 11/10/13 at 5:07pm in Family Skiing Discussions
- Semi Official Southern MidAtlantic NC, TN, VA Meet Em and Ski Em Informal Gatherings and... Last post on 10/9/13 at 6:25am in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- Best value Mid-Atlantic resort? Last post on 12/3/12 at 2:40pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: Yesterday
- Massanutten - An Unofficial GuideLast edited: 10/9/15
- Appalachian Mountain, NC. Local Guide/Best Place to LearnLast edited: 3/8/14
- Beech Mountain, NC Local Guide to Highest Elevation in the Eastern USLast edited: 3/8/14
- Unofficial Guide for Canaan Valley Resort, West VirginiaLast edited: 9/17/13
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
2015-16 Southeast/Mid-Atlantic meetups, weather (NC, VA, WV, west PA; plus SC, GA, TN, AL, FL) - Page 18
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #512 of 5453/9/16 at 4:55pmThread Starter
I'm pretty sure Massanutten will be done after March 13. That's Military Day so they will be open in spite of the rain showers that are predicted for the weekend.
We got spoiled last season.post #513 of 5453/9/16 at 5:48pm
Ya, no way Appy will make it to April 4th hahaha. I was toying with the idea of one more day trip, preferably solo. I didn't take any solo trips this season, but set a record of four overnighters with a kid or two on each. It was a GREAT season for us, got up just before the Christmas thaw, MLK weekend, Blue Knob gathering and last weekend.post #514 of 5453/9/16 at 6:26pmQuote:
This is a great excuse to have ... a retro day.post #515 of 5453/9/16 at 6:40pmpost #516 of 5453/10/16 at 12:11ampost #517 of 5453/10/16 at 5:03ampost #518 of 5453/10/16 at 6:03am
Tried to convince the kids to do a last day at Wintergreen this Saturday but they both felt that our 2 days at Wisp last weekend was a good way to end the season. So my wife and I are going to do a couple hours at Wintergreen Friday morning instead. We'll follow up with BBQ at Blue Ridge Pig for lunch. I usually end the season with WTG spring skiing and BBQ - but usually not this early.post #519 of 5453/10/16 at 8:11amThread Starter
It's official, Massanutten's closing date is Sun, March 13. Assuming they can hold out that long. Below is the update from the website on 3/10.Quote:
3/10/16 at 9:00 am - Sunny, high near 75. We plan to ski through Sunday, March 13, please call ahead or check here for updates.
No night skiing for the remainder of the season. The Ski Slopes are open 9 am - 5 pm daily with late season rates in effect.post #520 of 5453/10/16 at 8:14ampost #521 of 5453/10/16 at 10:04ampost #522 of 5453/10/16 at 10:34am
Happy Appy has their meltdown games scheduled for the 26th but still has April 4th listed as their official closing date. I just spoke with Beech and they are trying to stay open through the end of the month if possible, but aren't guaranteeing that of course.post #523 of 5453/11/16 at 11:03amQuote:Originally Posted by wgo2
Tried to convince the kids to do a last day at Wintergreen this Saturday but they both felt that our 2 days at Wisp last weekend was a good way to end the season. So my wife and I are going to do a couple hours at Wintergreen Friday morning instead. We'll follow up with BBQ at Blue Ridge Pig for lunch. I usually end the season with WTG spring skiing and BBQ - but usually not this early.
Good couple hours at wintergreen this morning. Stayed in the upper 50's while we were there (was 73 at lower elevations). A few more trails were closed. On the Highlands side only Upper Cliffhanger, Lower Wild Turkey, and Devil's elbow were open - Upper Wild Turkey looked perfectly skiable but was closed. Maybe they are saving it for the weekend? Coverage on the open trails was good, with a few thin (and in some cases bare) spots. Snow was nice, easy to turn in, and still not slushy by the time we left.post #524 of 5453/11/16 at 11:15amQuote:
And the season before. I remember a late March powder day with you at Mnut, and then another late March powder day a few days later at Timberline.post #525 of 5453/11/16 at 1:58pmpost #526 of 5453/12/16 at 11:43ampost #527 of 5453/13/16 at 10:05am
Seven Springs closes for weekday skiing after today. They will announce weekend opening later. This could be it folks. I spent yesterday skiing spring bumps at Timberline. It turned out to be a really nice day.post #528 of 5453/13/16 at 10:07amThread Starterpost #529 of 5453/13/16 at 10:39ampost #530 of 5453/21/16 at 2:46ampost #531 of 5453/21/16 at 7:07amQuote:
I'm 90% in for Saturday at Appalachian, got a credit there and they are still close to 100% open. Benefits of being small, less terrain to have to keep covered hahahaha! Will be skiing retro gear assuming I make it up there.post #532 of 5453/21/16 at 8:55ampost #533 of 5453/21/16 at 9:01ampost #534 of 5453/21/16 at 10:29am
After our truck skiing adventure Saturday at TimberSlime..............................previously unskiable terrain, skiable again, just in time for the snowmobile races.
and just in case anyone was wondering about SnowShoe, Sunday March 20. They will be open until the 27th, pretty good conditions all things consideredpost #535 of 5453/21/16 at 3:40pmpost #536 of 5453/22/16 at 6:20am
Yeah @wgo2, Camp 99 and Sawmill had the best snow/least crowded on the mountain, sorry you missed that. First time the rest of the crew saw the Soaring eagle; they like it.
Skiing adventure, there were quite a few skiers skinning or boot packing up but not us. HaHa bunch of rednecks riding around in the back of a pickup truck, more of a Hunter S Thompson afternoon than a true adventure. We did make three runs on Dew Drop though.post #537 of 5453/22/16 at 7:55amQuote:
So when taking turns driving the truck up and down, did you bother to take your boot (one boot?) off to drive or just try driving with them still on??post #538 of 5453/22/16 at 8:48ampost #539 of 5453/22/16 at 10:05am
No problems with conditions or crowds on Monday at SS. The soaring eagle trails would have been nice (I think the basin side terrain is only so-so without them) but everything I skied on was in good shape, even had a couple inches of fluff on the sides of the trails here and there.
Looks like you win the season with your Saturday adventures. "Fear and Loathing in WV".
This thread is locked
- 2015-16 Southeast/Mid-Atlantic meetups, weather (NC, VA, WV, west PA; plus SC, GA, TN, AL, FL)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Massanutten - An Unofficial Guide
- › "The only people who want to carve any more..." 3 hours, 11 minutes ago
- › Bode News 3 hours, 19 minutes ago
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 3 hours, 20 minutes ago
- › Race Boot Recommendations 3 hours, 31 minutes ago
- › AirBnB and VRBO Versus Ski Town Zoning Ordinances 4 hours, 25 minutes ago
- › Marker WC Piston Control Plate Mounting 4 hours, 26 minutes ago
- › How many sizes of skis will my child go through? 4 hours, 46 minutes ago
- › Cons and Pros. Atomic Vantage cti 90 vs Nordica Enforcer 93 5 hours, 57 minutes ago
- › FS: Jackets, Hats, Gloves, & Mittens 6 hours, 13 minutes ago
- › how to adjust Marker Titanium SC bindings? 6 hours, 29 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer