or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › 2015-16 Southeast/Mid-Atlantic meetups, weather (NC, VA, WV, west PA; plus SC, GA, TN, AL, FL)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2015-16 Southeast/Mid-Atlantic meetups, weather (NC, VA, WV, west PA; plus SC, GA, TN, AL, FL) - Page 14  

post #391 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 


Knocking on wood, yes, we have power.  But the thought of this and the occasional hurricane we have dealt with in the past, along with saving money staying home this weekend convinced me to order a 4,000 watt LP powered generator so we will live in luxury next time it does go out and have internet and a fridge running if it happens on the warmer months.  We have gas logs, kerosene heaters and about 8 gallons of K1 on hand for those power failures... and we can put the perishable food out on the porch in dog proof containers when it is cold.  A generator would give give us a fan to circulate heat from the gas logs and more entertainment options like TV and modem/routers for internet if those lines are still connected.. and charging the phones inside instead of out in the car. 

Good to hear you're prepared. Although we are fairly inland of the NJ shore, we suffered 3+ days without power after Sandy.  Our gasoline generator had the carb hang up and flood the engine, so we bought an LP gas one to replace it.  This time of year mainly for heat, but during the spring our basement can flood when we get snowmelt combined with spring rain when we don;t have power for the sump pumps.  Ah, the joys of home ownership  LOL. We're planning to be on the slopes tomorrow morning, fortunately we are within 30 miles of 5 ski areas so we can pick and choose based on how much snow they ended up with.

 

Stay safe and warm!   With this storm we'll be at least a bit more likely to see everyone at Blue Knob next month.  Gotta sharpen my edges for the NASTAR course  :D 

post #392 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJskier164 View Post
With this storm we'll be at least a bit more likely to see everyone at Blue Knob next month.  Gotta sharpen my edges for the NASTAR course  :D 

Challenge Accepted!:ski:ski

post #393 of 545

Update from Northern Virginia... It's supposed to snow now until midnight or so, but not heavily (just another couple of inches). And they got a pass through with the plows in my complex, so I went out for a walk (or really, a trudge :cool). Given the amount of snow, it's not looking too likely to be drive-able tomorrow. :mad 

 

It's pretty awesome to be outside though. Beautiful when the wind isn't blowing, and near whiteout when it whips up the snow. Glad to have gotten some use out of my ski gear. Took some pics too :

 

Some plowing done... a lot more to go

 

 

 

 

Buried bikes

 

 

 

 

A little bit of whiteout - it got worse at times

 

 

 

 

Car sastrugi!

 

post #394 of 545

We just got dust on crust on dust here.  Definitely skiable though!

 

 

 

Just got back from a "little ski"ing..

 

post #395 of 545

Get it when and where you can!  LOL

 

I just came back in from clearing my driveway.  Probably a foot or more, and there are drifts nearly 4 feet high.  The bad news is the plows have not made a trip down my street yet.  I am hoping they are just waiting for tonight after the snow tapers off.  I'll be one unhappy camper if I cant get out skiing tomorrow

post #396 of 545

Just saw that our official airport total at Dulles was 23.5" at 1:00 PM... It'll probably finish around 26-30" - and the wind is really picking up right now. Much more than during my walk earlier.

 

Wish I'd taken Friday off work and got a place on the slopes! Have to work that out next time a storm rolls around.

post #397 of 545
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
 

Just saw that our official airport total at Dulles was 23.5" at 1:00 PM... It'll probably finish around 26-30" - and the wind is really picking up right now. Much more than during my walk earlier.

 

Wish I'd taken Friday off work and got a place on the slopes! Have to work that out next time a storm rolls around.


Yep, need to plan ahead for storms like this.  Very glad I got a unit at Massanutten that's walking distance from the ski lodge.  The last time I drove up for a snowstorm I had to dig out the car to drive anywhere.  So even though the resort roads were is decent shape, it was a pain.  I brought the 4WD pickup in Feb 2010.  Took an hour to dig out my minivan this afternoon.  Pics later.  Going to do some more skiing first.

post #398 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 


 Pics later.  Going to do some more skiing first.

 

What ski did you go with today?

post #399 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 

 

What ski did you go with today?

Better question is...what ski were you on today?  LOL

LL

post #400 of 545
post #401 of 545
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 


 Pics later.  Going to do some more skiing first.

 

What ski did you go with today?


Do you know what these skis are?  Switched out the carvers on Friday afternoon.

 

 

Bottom of Diamond Jim about 10am 01/23/16, well over a foot overnight on top of the snow on Friday afternoon/evening, a bit on the heavy side.  Better in the afternoon and evening after there was fluffy snow and windblown on top and people had packed down the chopped up snow.

 

Looking up Southern Comfort from the porch of the ski lodge

 

Yes, can ski trees at Massanutten with enough snow

 

Digging out the minivan in the afternoon, good thing the snow was powder.  Top 6 inches was fluffy, bottom was packed but still pretty light.  One lane in the parking lot was plowed regularly.

post #402 of 545

^^^ Look at all those empty chairs!  Skis look familiar but, not as familiar as the steal your face sticker.  No idea what brand or model they are.. Did you get them at the resort rental shop?

post #403 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 

^^^ Look at all those empty chairs!  Skis look familiar but, not as familiar as the steal your face sticker.  No idea what brand or model they are.. Did you get them at the resort rental shop?

 

I think it's these :

 

post #404 of 545

Ha, I'd heard good reviews of the Black Pearls from Trekchick and a few others but didn't realize they have Satan's head in the graphics hahahaha..

post #405 of 545
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 

^^^ Look at all those empty chairs!  Skis look familiar but, not as familiar as the steal your face sticker.  No idea what brand or model they are.. Did you get them at the resort rental shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 

Ha, I'd heard good reviews of the Black Pearls from Trekchick and a few others but didn't realize they have Satan's head in the graphics hahahaha..


Early model years of the Black Pearl had the bull, as dbostedo found.  I bought them after demo'ing at Big Sky in 2011.  Have skied them in the Mid-Atlantic, northeast, and out west in up to 8 inches of powder.  For me, they are my all-mountain skis at 88 underfoot.

 

There were even a few powder skis at Mnut over the weekend.  A bit of overkill but why not?

 

Got home tonight.  More pics will have to wait until I get packed for flying to SLC in less then 36 hours.

post #406 of 545

@crgildart

 

I recognize your local ski "run" from last year! I also was stuck at home on Saturday and hiked a hill near my house again to earn a few turns. Sunday I made it out to Wintergreen with the family.

post #407 of 545

Hi all,

Last week I took my 3 kids on their first real ski trip to holiday valley ,we rented, a house through air bnb and it was great .

My 14 yo daughter was running black diamonds with me on her snowboard, and the other 2 were getting lessons and skiing the blue runs.

We waited for snow and we got the goods,

Hope all is well.

post #408 of 545

Looks like I'll be hitting Whitetail tomorrow with a friend of mine... or possibly Roundtop, but most likely Whitetail. PM me if anyone wants to meet up for some runs.

post #409 of 545

Went to Sugar Mtn. for a day trip today.  Everything was open, weather was great and got in a ton of vertical with the new lift.  Looks like warmer temperatures settling in, so it will be interesting to see how they fare for the next week or so.

post #410 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes429 View Post
 

Went to Sugar Mtn. for a day trip today.  Everything was open, weather was great and got in a ton of vertical with the new lift.  Looks like warmer temperatures settling in, so it will be interesting to see how they fare for the next week or so.


Nice!  I bet it was a GREAT day there.  I really miss the earlier 00s when I had the occasional weekday off.

post #411 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
 

Looks like I'll be hitting Whitetail tomorrow with a friend of mine... or possibly Roundtop, but most likely Whitetail. PM me if anyone wants to meet up for some runs.


I'd love to but gotta work then go watch my 8th grader wrestle in the finals of his middle school district tournament tomorrow evening.  He's guaranteed at least a silver.  Will have to take a rain check until Blue Knob ;-)  Oops, make that a SNOW check :D

post #412 of 545

Can anyone tell me when the "snowy luau" takes place at Timberline?  Spring is our favorite time of year to ski, sounds like a trip worth taking for.

Thanks!

post #413 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJskier164 View Post
 

Can anyone tell me when the "snowy luau" takes place at Timberline?  Spring is our favorite time of year to ski, sounds like a trip worth taking for.

Thanks!

 

Last year it was the weekend of March 14th. It's usually the last weekend I think. I intended to go last year but it rained all weekend, so I didn't want to brave it.

post #414 of 545

Struck out at Whitetail this morning. My friend wrenched his back walking up the hill, and we wound up just coming back. :mad

 

The silver lining may have been that it was looking to be a very crowded day. Schools were clearly out, and the lift ticket lines at 9 AM were 15 or 20 people deep. I may give it a go again on Sunday.

post #415 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
 

Struck out at Whitetail this morning. My friend wrenched his back walking up the hill, and we wound up just coming back. :mad

 

The silver lining may have been that it was looking to be a very crowded day. Schools were clearly out, and the lift ticket lines at 9 AM were 15 or 20 people deep. I may give it a go again on Sunday.

 

Couple seasons ago day one I threw my back out buckling my boots in the parking lot. :o I still skied a couple hours but was miserable when it tightened up on drive home, unable to tie my shoes without sitting down for about 6 weeks after that..

 

We got to Sugar around 9 on MLK day to see a significant line at the first walk up ticket windows.  We went inside the lodge and found another place inside other than the rental gear line that also sold lift tickets, NO ONE in line at all there.  It did get crowded at the base lifts around 11am, clearing from 12-1 while people ate, then lines again after 1.. At that point they started the lifts a little higher up that had no lines to speak of..

post #416 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
 

 

Last year it was the weekend of March 14th. It's usually the last weekend I think. I intended to go last year but it rained all weekend, so I didn't want to brave it.

Ok, thanks.  I'll keep my eyes on their website.  Hopefully they'll announce the date a few weeks in advance.

post #417 of 545

Anyone heading to WT this Friday?

post #418 of 545
Not this week. But perhaps next Friday.
post #419 of 545
Luna,
When you going to Utah, ? there getting some good snow
post #420 of 545
Thread Starter 

Where are people skiing in the SE/MidA this weekend?  I'll be at Mnut per usual.  Heading up really early on Fri morning since my friend's kids are off Fri and Mon.  Daytime snowmaking this week, plus lots of cold weather should make for a great winter long weekend.

 

A lot more snow came down in the southeast in the last few days than I realized. Wasn't paying attention to the weather in the SE/MidA last week. Over a foot in NC and WV. Folks driving up from GA, FL and other places south of VA/WV for a Pres. Day long weekend will be cold if they don't have the right clothing but they'll certainly have plenty of snow to slide on.

 

Table from SkiSE for Feb. 8-10:

http://www.skisoutheast.com/another-day-another-round-snow-talk-about/

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › 2015-16 Southeast/Mid-Atlantic meetups, weather (NC, VA, WV, west PA; plus SC, GA, TN, AL, FL)