or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mammoth Mountain for 2015-2016 - Page 10  

post #271 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by river-z View Post

Just got back from June Mountain, and since there's not really a thread for June I figured I'd post here.  We went to June because "kids ski free" and my wife and I have 3 kids.  I also found that the lodging was cheaper.  We stayed in a cabin (June Lake Pines) across the street from the general store and only 1 mile from the ski area for $125/night.  So with my Cali4nia pass, kids skiing free, and the used kids skis I have acquired via eBay I did pretty good.  I think the only thing I paid for at June was $10 for a basket of fries and a gatorade (what a rip off, eh?).

Anyways, the skiing itself was great.  The main part of the mountain has good coverage, and there were 5 inches of fresh snow the day/night after we got there.  I got some really nice powder turns in on very light, fluffy snow Tuesday morning.  My kids (age 4, 6, 8) enjoyed skiing and each progressed.  It never felt busy and it was nice to have lots of space to teach my kids.  I also found that even the days this week when the parking lot was completely full the black and double black runs were basically empty.  Even the intermediate runs weren't that busy.  I don't know where all the other people were skiing but I sure like having what seemed like nearly every run to myself.

Note: June is a great mountain for families once you get to the main area.  It SUCKS getting up to the main area on the long, slow 2 seater lift that goes from the parking lot to the chalet.  It's a bad bottleneck, especially late in the afternoon.  I rode down in the cold and dark with my 6yo because we had to wait for a long time in line just to get down.  It's a big hassle not just for the sake of time, but for crankiness of kids and having to hold your skis on the way down since there's no place to glide off at the end.  But I guess I can't complain too much, since skiing there saved me a lot of money.

Here are some pics.
View from the top of June Mountain.  Seriously impressed by the scenery there.



Powder Chute on a day when there was some nice powder.  It's a double black but not too bad.



Powder pretty cut up at this point, but the run is nice and soft.



Looking towards the part of the mountain with lots of nice, groomed intermediate runs.



My 8yo daughter skiing towards some amazing scenery.

Nice review. How does JM compare to SS?
post #272 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2 ski View Post
 

So glad we are back to a normal season.  Next week should be great with it snowing a bit every other day.  With soft snow, but no deep pow, it should be a great 3 days to charge on the Amphibios.

Mustski, I will be skiing Friday thru Sunday.  It would be nice to ski a few runs with you two.  I will pm you later in the week.

My mistake.  I responded to @agreen and didn't realize it was in the Mammoth thread.  I posted our Big Bear dates.  We will be hitting Mammoth Presidents' Weekend and again in April so  I would love to ski some runs then ... or conversely, if you ever feel like hitting up Big Bear.

post #273 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by nochaser View Post


Nice review. How does JM compare to SS?

 

IMO JM is way better than SS.  It's bigger, way less crowded, has more variety of runs, and most importantly - better snow quality.  I suppose SS is better for accessibility and has a better park, but that's it.  

post #274 of 656
Nice write up Zach!!

I think most people were at Mammoth those days. Chair 1 and 2 had 5 to 10 minute waits. Not sure if that was good or bad but I was used to no lines a few weeks ago...

Overall, weather and snow was nice. A little windy on Wed. but not bad though. 134 a ticket is a bit pricey unless you have a pass.

Not sure when I'm going back but probably one April trip for sure 😀
post #275 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustski View Post
 

My mistake.  I responded to @agreen and didn't realize it was in the Mammoth thread.  I posted our Big Bear dates.  We will be hitting Mammoth Presidents' Weekend and again in April so  I would love to ski some runs then ... or conversely, if you ever feel like hitting up Big Bear.

Just an FYI about skiing Mammoth on President's weekend.  THE busiest weekend of the year.  More than Christmas or MLK or ANY other holiday.  But if that's the only time you can go... go with the right mind set and have fun.

post #276 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkerr View Post
 

Just an FYI about skiing Mammoth on President's weekend.  THE busiest weekend of the year.  More than Christmas or MLK or ANY other holiday.  But if that's the only time you can go... go with the right mind set and have fun.


Sigh.  I know.  The upside to being a teacher - you get all the holidays off work.  The downside to being a teacher - you share all the holiday with 10,000 of your closest friends!  We plan on hitting June on the Saturday to avoid the busiest day.  We've never skied it before, but if the conditions are good, we may ski there Sunday as well.

post #277 of 656

June is a great place.  I go there if my vacation spans a weekend.  Weekends at June and weekdays at Mammoth.  It's cheaper too.

post #278 of 656

I have the Cali pass but I'll take less crowds for sure!

post #279 of 656

I know it's still a long way off, but I just booked a condo in town for my March trip to Mammoth. So excited! :yahoo: We decided to stay in town and save a little money, and probably just take the bus to the mountain. 

post #280 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
 

I know it's still a long way off, but I just booked a condo in the village for my March trip to Mammoth. So excited! :yahoo: We decided to stay in town and save a little money, and probably just take the bus to the mountain. 

the village or "The Village" ??

cuz there's a gondola you can ride in "The Village"

post #281 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by river-z View Post
 

the village or "The Village" ??

cuz there's a gondola you can ride in "The Village"

 

Oops... I meant in town. Mammoth Lakes. Not the Village. Corrected above. 

post #282 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
 

 

Oops... I meant in town. Mammoth Lakes. Not the Village. Corrected above. 


Cool.  It will be a great time.  They got another foot today...

post #283 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by river-z View Post
 


Cool.  It will be a great time.  They got another foot today...

 

We finally got cold enough to make snow. Looks like I'm going to head out Friday for the first time this year, and hope it doesn't r-word. Thumbs Up

post #284 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
 

 

Oops... I meant in town. Mammoth Lakes. Not the Village. Corrected above. 


What are your dates?  I am up there a bunch and could show you around if our dates connect.

post #285 of 656

absolute deluge right now, here on the south/central coast...

found my POW leashes... ski quiver tuned and waxed for fresh at 10-30 degrees (mostly blue, some para)

whatever happens over the next day or so - I WILL be riding the/a lift at 8:30, Friday morning !!!  lets hope the wind gods are kind on the upper mtn, Lincoln & Dragon's back...

still snowin like stink!

it will be epic!

1/6/2016 - 1 PM

post #286 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2 ski View Post
 


What are your dates?  I am up there a bunch and could show you around if our dates connect.

 

I'll be skiing 3/18-3/20 - it would be great to make a few runs together and get a sense of the place. I've already looked through terrific unofficial guide! :)

post #287 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
 

 

I'll be skiing 3/18-3/20 - it would be great to make a few runs together and get a sense of the place. I've already looked through terrific unofficial guide! :)


Darn, I would normally be up there that weekend, but this year my week in Tahoe starts on the 26th of March, so driving that twice in a week may not work.  I need a plane ;)

post #288 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2 ski View Post
 


Darn, I would normally be up there that weekend, but this year my week in Tahoe starts on the 26th of March, so driving that twice in a week may not work.  I need a plane ;)

 

If someone would just invent a teleporter....*sigh*...

 

And I'll be in Tahoe the 21st and 22nd... just so I can miss you there too! :D

post #289 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
 

 

I'll be skiing 3/18-3/20 - it would be great to make a few runs together and get a sense of the place. I've already looked through terrific unofficial guide! :)

I'll be there March 16-22. :snowfight

post #290 of 656

The snow at Mammoth did not suck yesterday.  Pretty much everyone in the ski club commented the snow was the best in years, but I managed to still find the only rock around and core shot a ski.  I am not a great mogul skier, but when you have nice soft bumps, even a jong like me looks half way decent coming down a heavily moguled run.  Overcast, windy (welcome to Mammoth) with some snow showers today.  Hopefully some of the tracked out snow gets a partial refill during the day and the steeps get windbuff blown all over them.

post #291 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2 ski View Post
 

The snow at Mammoth did not suck yesterday.  Pretty much everyone in the ski club commented the snow was the best in years, but I managed to still find the only rock around and core shot a ski.  I am not a great mogul skier, but when you have nice soft bumps, even a jong like me looks half way decent coming down a heavily moguled run.  Overcast, windy (welcome to Mammoth) with some snow showers today.  Hopefully some of the tracked out snow gets a partial refill during the day and the steeps get windbuff blown all over them.


Nice! Where did you find the good bumps?

post #292 of 656

Bumps were everywhere.  Saturday was the weirdest weather I have ever encountered.  25 degrees out, but freezing sleet and a very cool rainbow. Courtesy of my buddy Mindy Smith.

 

post #293 of 656

Cool Pic Thumbs Up

post #294 of 656

Mammoth just hit the 176" mark for total snowfall this season which equals all of last season including the 56" that fell in April/May. Howard is talking possible Pineapple express starting next Tuesday. This is shaping up to be a very late ski season in Mammoth. Maybe I can finally ski on my Birthday (July 5th)!!! Looking forward to Presidents weekend...

post #295 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen View Post
 

Mammoth just hit the 176" mark for total snowfall this season which equals all of last season including the 56" that fell in April/May. Howard is talking possible Pineapple express starting next Tuesday. This is shaping up to be a very late ski season in Mammoth. Maybe I can finally ski on my Birthday (July 5th)!!! Looking forward to Presidents weekend...

Awesome, unfortunately for me, my money will be tapped out after my Taos trip in February. I'll probably plan 1-2 late(April) trips this year when the price goes down to 90 a ticket. I'm confident that Mammoth will be skiing good until at least June...OK, July 5th:) 

post #296 of 656

To save me from having to read all 295 posts....  will there be an Epic gathering in Mammoth this season?  If so, what dates?

 

Thanks!!

post #297 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimski View Post
 

To save me from having to read all 295 posts....  will there be an Epic gathering in Mammoth this season?  If so, what dates?

 

Thanks!!

As far as I know, NO gatherings BUT (at least for me), maybe a mid April gathering?? Prices go down and lift/lodging deals are easy to come by...

post #298 of 656

I plan to be up the weekend of April 15-16.

post #299 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmoliu View Post
 

I plan to be up the weekend of April 15-16.

April 15-16 is mid April but damn, I just double checked my schedule and I forgot that I'll be at the Grand Canyon that weekend(15-16). I'm only free the following weekend 23-24 :mad

post #300 of 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimski View Post
 

To save me from having to read all 295 posts....  will there be an Epic gathering in Mammoth this season?  If so, what dates?

 

Thanks!!


We never really established a true mini-gathering. Everyone has just been posting up dates they will be there to see if any coincide. I have recently made some changes to mine:

 

Presidents weekend

March 10-13

April 3 - 9

Some other late season date TBD

 

Hope to meet up with some of you! Maybe a gathering next year?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked