or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ask the Boot Guys › Lange RX130 Instep height
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lange RX130 Instep height

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

  I see these boots on sale right now all over the net..

I cannot locally try this kind of boot now and am willing to buy these and send back if needed..

But for those that have or tried them on , how you evaluate the instep.. ( I have a high instep )

 

I currently have Hawk 110's and they crush the top of my foot even with a little liner work.

 

Thanks ahead of time !

 

Kyle

post #2 of 18

Before any answers, why haven't you had a lot of liner work since it seems the rest of the boot is good?

 

Also what die boot do you have in Mondo size and what did your foot actually measure in either Mondo or U.S.?

 

Lou

post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Rosenfeld View Post

Before any answers, why haven't you had a lot of liner work since it seems the rest of the boot is good?

Also what die boot do you have in Mondo size and what did your foot actually measure in either Mondo or U.S.?

Lou

Ok my boot size is 28.5 and that was later checked in lake placid by a boot fitter on some kind of glass mirror machine. My US foot size is either 10.5 or 11. Depending on shoe.
I didn't go any further with liner work since it seems I should have started with a higher instep boot to begin with.
Also not mentioned was the fact that it took a couple of months after the ski season to get the correct feeling back in my toes.. While my feet never really got that cold I noticed after the damage was done they got cold real easy in my hockey skates.

Kyle
post #4 of 18

I can't see your instep so can't judge the height, but a 10.5 foot is a 27 and not a 28 regardless of what the mirror man said.  I am very close to an 11 and comfortable wear a 27 in all boots without any toe work.  A typical problem of a too large boot is buckling too tight which can cause all the problems you relate.  

 

The new Rossi rec race boot is a fairly high instep and the boot runs quite long so you could certainly get in a 27 possibly even a 26.

 

Lou

post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 

 Thanks for helping ..

There is also no doubt I crank on these boot buckles..

not because they aren't snug enough - they are..   But MAYBE because the 110 flex these boots produce is at my lower limit..

I am 6'3" and 230,,   And Very active..  Or maybe its just because I think they work better tight ..

 

Kyle

post #6 of 18

Or maybe because they are only tight when you buckle them tight enough to crush your foot.  I'd go to a different shop and try on some 27s.

 

Lou

post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Rosenfeld View Post
 

Or maybe because they are only tight when you buckle them tight enough to crush your foot.  I'd go to a different shop and try on some 27s.

 

Lou

  Will do..

I found a place about 1 HR away with the langes in 27's

And half price at 316$ CDN

 

Kyle

post #8 of 18

Kyle, you appear to be trying to do this by guessing the boot and buying it on line cheap, sorry to say  IT WILL NOT WORK! well it might, but chances are the season will have come and gone and you will still be in pain, it WILL cost you more in the long run, it always does

 

go and find a good boot fitter, drive hours if you have to, but find someone who can do the work on the correct size boot and  get you off the internet searching for solutionjs to problems and back on the snow enjoying the sport

 

sorry for the tough love but i have seen this too many times

post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEM View Post
 

Kyle, you appear to be trying to do this by guessing the boot and buying it on line cheap, sorry to say  IT WILL NOT WORK! well it might, but chances are the season will have come and gone and you will still be in pain, it WILL cost you more in the long run, it always does

 

go and find a good boot fitter, drive hours if you have to, but find someone who can do the work on the correct size boot and  get you off the internet searching for solutionjs to problems and back on the snow enjoying the sport

 

sorry for the tough love but i have seen this too many times

  This I can accept and is partially true..

I am not going to all this work to just save 200$ or I would have already bought the boots...

Issue is this..  Everybody claims to be a good boot fitter..

What I have realized is that I know more than most if not all "boot fitters"  I have met and have no idea on where to go and who to trust..

 

What I have come across is more salesman trying to get as many sales per day as possible..

 

Thanks for your reply  :)

 

Kyle

post #10 of 18

Kyle,

 

where are you based, we can hopefully guide to a fitter rather than a seller

post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 

  Located in Ontario Canada..

Between Ottawa and Montreal..  bout an Hour either way

 

Kyle

post #12 of 18

not my area of geographic expertise but i am sure someone will know who is closest that can do a good job 

post #13 of 18

http://www.southernski.com/toe-jam-spreader-instep-jack.html

 

 

The web site above shows this tool which we have been manufacturing for going on 20 years---it will allow the operator to increase instep height by up to 8mm

which is usually enough for most high instep folks.

 

We have sold them into numerous shops and will also stretch boots for folks who send them in.  We charge $50.00 plus shipping to stretch a pair of boots.  I have looked, and so far we have not

sold any into your neck of the woods, although we did sell one to Green Mountain Orthotics Lab at Stratton Mountain VT. see Bill Haight.

 

My thought here was to show that even if you can't find a boot that will work out of the box, your instep problem can be addressed.

 

Boot fitter recommendations:  Mud Sweat and Gears in Ellicotteville, NY., about 5 hrs drive for you,  or Bill Haight 6+ hrs away---as you said boot fitters are hard to find so a drive might be in order.

 

mike


Edited by miketsc - 10/6/15 at 1:23pm
post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketsc View Post
 

http://www.southernski.com/toe-jam-spreader-instep-jack.html

 

 

The web site above shows this tool which we have been manufacturing for going on 20 years---it will allow the operator to increase instep height by up to 8mm

which is usually enough for most high instep folks.

 

We have sold them into numerous shops and will also stretch boots for folks who send them in.  We charge $50.00 plus shipping to stretch a pair of boots.  I have looked, and so far we have not

sold any into your neck of the woods, although we did sell one to Green Mountain Orthotics Lab at Stratton Mountain VT. see Bill Haight.

 

My thought here was to show that even if you can't find a boot that will work out of the box, your instep problem can be addressed.

 

Boot fitter recommendations:  Mud Sweat and Gears in Ellicotteville, NY., about 5 hrs drive for you,  or Bill Haight 6+ hrs away---as you said boot fitters are hard to find so a drive might be in order.

 

mike

 

 

  Thank-you..

who is bill haight with ?

 

Kyle

post #15 of 18

Bootguy

Bill Haight
Green Mountain Orthotic Lab
Stratton, Vermont
gmol@sover.net
www.gmolfoot.com
802 875-1122

 

Good luck

 

mike

post #16 of 18
Thread Starter 
Just an update on boots.
While I have not bought any..I thought I would pass along the fact that my feet measure 105 and 106mm .
Most boot last are 100mm
Does the boot last correspond to the foot width ?
It sounds like an obvious answer , but I would not have considered my foot to be wide

Kyle
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speerhead View Post

Just an update on boots.
While I have not bought any..I thought I would pass along the fact that my feet measure 105 and 106mm .
Most boot last are 100mm
Does the boot last correspond to the foot width ?
It sounds like an obvious answer , but I would not have considered my foot to be wide

Kyle

The 100 mm last width is how wide a size 26.5 is---as you go to a larger size the last width increases by 2mm and vice-verse as you go smaller, so a 27.5 would be 102mm in the same model boot and can be stretched by 6mm to around 108mm, if needed, by most boot fit shops that are equipped with the necessary tools.  

 

good luck

 

mike

post #18 of 18

Boot fitting is typically about modifying a boot to be comfortable, rather than buying direct from the box a comfortable boot.  For most skier's this simply means a boot that is too large.  If the boot you are looking at turns out to be too narrow then Mike is correct any shop familiar with fitting and with tools can Easily add in the width you require.

 

Lou

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ask the Boot Guys
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ask the Boot Guys › Lange RX130 Instep height