or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › bindings for blizzard latigo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

bindings for blizzard latigo

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 

hey guys and gals! hows it going? ive got a quick question for you. im going to be picking up a pair of blizzard latigo skis for this season and i am going to purchase a new pair of bindings along with the skis and i was looking at geting some marker griffons or some look pivot bindings. while both of these bindings will work my concern is the brake width as the bilzzard latigo is a 78mm waist now the look bindings come it a 75mm brake or a 95mm brake and the markers narrowest brake is a 90mm but im pretty shure the markers go in a bit when the brake comes up so that might make them fit. i would be more then happy with ether of these two bindings its just a thing of wich binding brake will fit best. thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated!

post #2 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocheman View Post
 

hey guys and gals! hows it going? ive got a quick question for you. im going to be picking up a pair of blizzard latigo skis for this season and i am going to purchase a new pair of bindings along with the skis and i was looking at geting some marker griffons or some look pivot bindings. while both of these bindings will work my concern is the brake width as the bilzzard latigo is a 78mm waist now the look bindings come it a 75mm brake or a 95mm brake and the markers narrowest brake is a 90mm but im pretty shure the markers go in a bit when the brake comes up so that might make them fit. i would be more then happy with ether of these two bindings its just a thing of wich binding brake will fit best. thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Great, how is it going with you! The Look says it is 75 but is is closer to 70 but that would be my first choice too. Salomon does offer a 80mm brake for the Sth2 13 and that would be my second option. 

post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 

thanks so much. its going grate! so do you think i could stretch the look pivots to make them fit? also i hear those salomon bindings a good.

post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocheman View Post
 

thanks so much. its going grate! so do you think i could stretch the look pivots to make them fit? also i hear those salomon bindings a good.

You will be able to bend them a bit. I would like t see Look/Rossi do an 85mm brake but it is not on their radar. 

post #5 of 21
Thread Starter 

ya that would work grate for me if they did a 85mm. maybe i can chat with my shop and see what they think. also i know marker some times offers other brakes that they just dont display on there site so who knows. thanks

post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocheman View Post
 

ya that would work grate for me if they did a 85mm. maybe i can chat with my shop and see what they think. also i know marker some times offers other brakes that they just dont display on there site so who knows. thanks

Yeah, I know. 90/110/130mm for the Royal bindings. 

post #7 of 21
Thread Starter 

ya but from what i have herd they have some brakes that special order only. i hear they have a 140mm one but you have to special order it so they might have something that is smaller then 90. but who knows. thanks

post #8 of 21

I have a pair of blizzard latigos mounted with look piviot 14's that were listed as 75mm brake width.

 

I had them mounted at a shop but they had no problem getting it onto the ski. I'm not sure if they had to bend them but they fit nicely

post #9 of 21

I will give you a heads up..75mm brakes are tough to find for these, a lot os shops don't stock them. Try to find a shop that specializes in mogul skiing, they might be able to find your the non existent narrow royal brakes too ;)

post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
 

I will give you a heads up..75mm brakes are tough to find for these

 

Very true, the shop I bought mine at didn't advertise the 75mm brakes but managed to find the last pair that they had in stock when I purchased the Latigo's

 

Good luck rocheman!

post #11 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
 

I will give you a heads up..75mm brakes are tough to find for these, a lot os shops don't stock them. Try to find a shop that specializes in mogul skiing, they might be able to find your the non existent narrow royal brakes too ;)

im probably going to pro deal them or pro form them whatever you call it through my shop so i dont think it should be an issue but i could always get a set markers if their is an issue. i found someone who is running markers on a set latigos and pm them about it so who know the 90mm brake might work.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbski View Post
 

I have a pair of blizzard latigos mounted with look piviot 14's that were listed as 75mm brake width.

 

I had them mounted at a shop but they had no problem getting it onto the ski. I'm not sure if they had to bend them but they fit nicely

thanks so much for the info! i might end up going for the piviots since i already have markers. thanks so much for the info

post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocheman View Post

i found someone who is running markers on a set latigos and pm them about it so who know the 90mm brake might work.

Did you hear back on whether the 90mm Marker brakes work on the Latigos?
post #13 of 21

Why wouldn't they?  I just ordered the 90's for my Latigos that had 110 bindings on them.

 

They're 78 under foot.

post #14 of 21
Thread Starter 

yes i talked with the person and they said there should be no issue. good luck and all the best

post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMangoJazz View Post
 

Why wouldn't they?  I just ordered the 90's for my Latigos that had 110 bindings on them.

 

They're 78 under foot.

 

I've heard other say that if the brake protrudes too much they may catch on the snow when at high edge angles. If the snow is soft I can't imagine it would make a difference. However, if the snow is really firm or boilerplate it could potentially cause the ski to lose it's edge in the snow and wash out or prevent the edge from being able to dig in. I've seen some large online retailers who recommend a brake no more than 10mm wider than the ski waist. Others use 15mm as the cut off.

post #16 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosper View Post
 

 

I've heard other say that if the brake protrudes too much they may catch on the snow when at high edge angles. If the snow is soft I can't imagine it would make a difference. However, if the snow is really firm or boilerplate it could potentially cause the ski to lose it's edge in the snow and wash out or prevent the edge from being able to dig in. I've seen some large online retailers who recommend a brake no more than 10mm wider than the ski waist. Others use 15mm as the cut off.

but the marker bindings go in a good amount when the brake goes up also you shop could probably bend them a bit. talk to blizzard or you local rep for blizzard and see what they say

post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMangoJazz View Post
 

Why wouldn't they?  I just ordered the 90's for my Latigos that had 110 bindings on them.

 

They're 78 under foot.

 

 

First off I put the 90mm Marker brakes on my Griffons tonight and they are perfect.

 

That said, I realized that the brakes do not go at the waist and thus they go over an area that is wider than the waist.


Edited by SkiMangoJazz - 10/21/15 at 4:18pm
post #18 of 21

Let's assume the width of the ski where the brakes fold up is 80mm.  So on each side, you might have 5mm of brake protruding (they fold in some).  I'd like to see the edge angle required to "brake out" given that scenario.  I'm betting 99% of skiers cannot achieve it..  Don't overthink this.

post #19 of 21

It's not just edge angle.  Stand the two skis next to each other as close together as possible.  If you touch tip and tail together the brakes overlap.  You need more than an inch distance between your tips to avoid brakes touching. 

 

We all ski with our feet that far apart, I'm sure.  I've never clicked brakes.  But looking at it with the skis standing up and I could see how that could happen.

post #20 of 21

I've never overthought a thing in my life.


Well actually a few times now that I remember it, maybe I did.  But is what I did truly overthinking?  I'd need to look at each situation and carefully analyze it to determine if it was actually overthinking.

 

Then I'd need to reevaluate my determinations to make sure I had made those properly.

 

Do you think I should also have my thinking audited by a third party?

post #21 of 21

Underthink.   Witness:


Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMangoJazz View Post
 

  But looking at it with the skis standing up and I could see how that could happen.

 

Only if the skis have reverse or trivially shallow sidecut.       On conventional sidecuts you cross tips or tails first. 
...
and the angle is trivial to compute:  (90- atan (5mm/standheight))    For a 50mm standheight that's 84 degrees.   

84 degrees with both the tip and tail bent out of the way could happen I suppose, but in a mogul trough that deep you'll have other problems. 

 

The bigger worry is catching the brake with a lazy pole.    

Here is what happens when you do that:

 

followed promptly by

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › bindings for blizzard latigo