or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Advice on an east coast, All Mountain Wide ski
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advice on an east coast, All Mountain Wide ski

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

I am doing a season lease package (upgraded) from the Alpine shop in Burlington Vt. I will be 16 years old by the time I get to ride these. I am 5' 10'' (+/-) and about 130 pounds. I am looking for a ski that can pretty much do anything, and go anywhere, but I want it to exel in soft snow, and chopped pow. I am currently thinking something along the lines of the Volkl Mantra or the Line SFB, for their playfulness, and ability to ski well on hard snow. I am an advanced skier that spends most of the time in the woods (At Jay Peak, if it matters). Any help would be great.

post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by therobertcollin View Post
 

I am doing a season lease package (upgraded) from the Alpine shop in Burlington Vt. I will be 16 years old by the time I get to ride these. I am 5' 10'' (+/-) and about 130 pounds. I am looking for a ski that can pretty much do anything, and go anywhere, but I want it to exel in soft snow, and chopped pow. I am currently thinking something along the lines of the Volkl Mantra or the Line SFB, for their playfulness, and ability to ski well on hard snow. I am an advanced skier that spends most of the time in the woods (At Jay Peak, if it matters). Any help would be great.

at 130LB you don't have enough weight to flex the Mantra. The SFB is also pretty wide for what you are asking a ski to do and a one ski quiver. What are your other options from them in the 90-100mm range? If limited to Volkl and Line...The Volkl Kink and Line Supernatural 92 are two from them but I am sure there are other options and if there is a damage waiver....take it. 

post #3 of 15

I think both of those are too stiff for your weight and they will hold you back.

 

Look at Line Supernatural 92 lite and Armada JJ's.

post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 

Thanks guys,

I am not limited to any certain brands or anything, thoses were just skis that stood out to me. So basically what I am getting, is I should be on a more flexible ski?

post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by therobertcollin View Post
 

Thanks guys,

I am not limited to any certain brands or anything, thoses were just skis that stood out to me. So basically what I am getting, is I should be on a more flexible ski?

Yeah, you don't weigh much and you need something you can bend.  I would also say stay in that 90-100mm range for width. 

post #6 of 15

Most adult men's skis are targeted at guys who weight 170-190lbs so yes.

 

I looked at the shop's site.  These might fit:

 

K2 Shreditor 92

Blizzard Bushwaker

 

 

post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 

I have heard good things about the Bushwhacker 92, I'll check it out. Any other softer flex skis that might work good for me?

post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
 

Most adult men's skis are targeted at guys who weight 170-190lbs so yes.

 

I looked at the shop's site.  These might fit:

 

K2 Shreditor 92

Blizzard Bushwaker

 

 

Shreditor 92 is a great choice. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by therobertcollin View Post
 

I have heard good things about the Bushwhacker 92, I'll check it out. Any other softer flex skis that might work good for me?

Since the Bushwacker has been discontinued it probably won't be in his lease program unless they are using older skis.. But that would have been a great option. 

post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 

Actually, the majority of the stuff they have is a couple of years old. So maybe it would be in there.

post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 

I looked at the Shreditor 92, and it looks like pretty much exactly what I am looking for in a ski. Now I just hope they have it in stock when I make it down there.

post #11 of 15

Now you just need to decide between 163, 170 & 177 lengths!

 

Since you are mostly in the trees and the skis have a 21M radius probably between the 163 & 170.

post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
 

Now you just need to decide between 163, 170 & 177 lengths!

 

Since you are mostly in the trees and the skis have a 21M radius probably between the 163 & 170.

With the rise in the tip and tail, it skis kinda short, the 170 minimum. 

post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 

How much Rocker is in the Shreditor, I know it is labeled as RCR, but where is the rise point in the tip and tail?

post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by therobertcollin View Post
 

How much Rocker is in the Shreditor, I know it is labeled as RCR, but where is the rise point in the tip and tail?

Not sure where the exact points are but it works. 

post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 

Thank you for the response, I have looked more into the K2 shreditor 92, and it looks like a really good ski. Just in case they don't have it, does anyone have any recommendations for skis that are quite similar?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Advice on an east coast, All Mountain Wide ski