or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › Calling all Minnesota Epicskiers 2015-2016
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling all Minnesota Epicskiers 2015-2016 - Page 5  

post #121 of 745
I guess if I went to Colorado often I would fly. Actually prefer to drive, leave when I want and haul all the gear my truck will carry. March trip to steamboat will be a road trip.
post #122 of 745

Just looked at the long range forecast on accuweather.com and weather.com

 

If you look at weather.com, still not looking very promising to open the weekend of Thanksgiving, but Accuweather makes it look like they could start making snow possibly as early as a week from Thursday (11/19).

 

I will keep my fingers crossed.

post #123 of 745

This is a good tool for finding flights

 

https://www.google.com/flights/explore/#explore;f=MSP;t=DEN;li=3;lx=5;d=2015-12-17

 

Change the parameters and what not as you see fit but lots of sub $200 flights for 4 days all winter long between MSP and DEN

post #124 of 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by msprace View Post

Just looked at the long range forecast on accuweather.com and weather.com

If you look at weather.com, still not looking very promising to open the weekend of Thanksgiving, but Accuweather makes it look like they could start making snow possibly as early as a week from Thursday (11/19).

I will keep my fingers crossed.

By the looks of it probably will be early december. Hopefully the hills are able to recoup from a what is looking like a late start this year.

Channel 11 put a pic on favebook from what it was like last year.

https://www.facebook.com/KARE11/photos/a.212595130456.257855.148260880456/10156283495115457/?type=3&theater
Edited by midwestfabs - 11/10/15 at 2:34pm
post #125 of 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfabs View Post

 what it was like last year.

 

When will then be now?

post #126 of 745
I did end up finding cheaper airfare to denver and other locations but screw it, the fockers are booking the train to whitefish in march. Whole family is pumped.

Ski in ski out at whitefish is dirt cheap on vrbo. 2 bed 2 bath condos for $150 per night? $43 per adult for ski passes? $23 for my youngest... We're doing 6 nights there. Maybe some snowmobiling and snowshoeing as well as skiing. So cheap we are booking sleeper cabins on the train...
post #127 of 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post

I did end up finding cheaper airfare to denver and other locations but screw it, the fockers are booking the train to whitefish in march. Whole family is pumped.

Ski in ski out at whitefish is dirt cheap on vrbo. 2 bed 2 bath condos for $150 per night? $43 per adult for ski passes? $23 for my youngest... We're doing 6 nights there. Maybe some snowmobiling and snowshoeing as well as skiing. So cheap we are booking sleeper cabins on the train...


Sounds like an awesome family vacation to me!

post #128 of 745
Yup should be. Kids will end up skiing 2 or 3 days (their choice) and my wife will ski 3 while I'll ski 4. Need to push myself while out there without the kids for a day. If they want to ski all 4 they can, and we'll just get them a lesson one day so wife and I can get into some steep stuff.

Wife is a little nervous looking at the trail map lol.
Edited by focker - 11/11/15 at 11:10am
post #129 of 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post

Yup should be. Kids will end up skiing 2 or 3 dad (their choice) and my wife will ski 3 while I'll ski 4. Need to push myself while out there without the kids for a day. If they want to ski all 4 they can, and we'll just get them a lesson one day so wife and I can get into some steep stuff.

Wife is a little nervous looking at the trail map lol.

Well, send her to my site. What concerns her?
post #130 of 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post

Yup should be. Kids will end up skiing 2 or 3 dad (their choice) and my wife will ski 3 while I'll ski 4. Need to push myself while out there without the kids for a day. If they want to ski all 4 they can, and we'll just get them a lesson one day so wife and I can get into some steep stuff.

Wife is a little nervous looking at the trail map lol.

 

Have they still got that sign near the alternate way down from the East Rim?  Last time I was there it was still Big Mountain.  Something to the effect of - you're going to die if you go down this way ;)  Have a picture somewhere of my buddy and I standing next to it about 20 years ago.

post #131 of 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

Well, send her to my site. What concerns her?

Mainly that her husband will want to take her into Hellroaring. wink.gif

I love your site FYI! I was on there for over an hour last night.
post #132 of 745
Well, of course, there's Hell Fire, she can meet you at the lift. The scariness of Hellroaring Basin otherwise is highly related to conditions. Anything could be going on. The only time I was even in there last season was close to a disaster. Started out great, in spite of not being on the "right skis", then I got shunted into tight trees (really really tight trees, not something you ski through, something you need a machete for) because of an avalanche debris field. But, in a normal season, there are routes you can take to minimize the pucker factor. Frankly, I'd recommend East Rim Face, Lee's Way, Good Med, first to ramp up. The grid here helps in determining the scary factor of various choices.
post #133 of 745
Mostly just joking sub but I do like to get her into terrain that pushes her skills some so she can advance as a skier. She's not always happy about it when we start a slope but after us filled with pride as you would expect...
post #134 of 745
We looked at the train last year but the times were horrible. I don't mind driving places. I've driven to Albany, Vail, Phoenix and Big Sky. My wife isn't ready to move on from Big Sky just yet. We even have the in-laws talking about joining us this year.
post #135 of 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by voghan View Post

. We even have the in-laws talking about joining us this year.

Sounds like a good reason to head for some altitude in Colorado.
post #136 of 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post

Sounds like a good reason to head for some altitude in Colorado.
they can watch the kids while we ski the fun stuff. Have to look for that silver lining.
post #137 of 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post

I did end up finding cheaper airfare to denver and other locations but screw it, the fockers are booking the train to whitefish in march. Whole family is pumped.

Ski in ski out at whitefish is dirt cheap on vrbo. 2 bed 2 bath condos for $150 per night? $43 per adult for ski passes? $23 for my youngest... We're doing 6 nights there. Maybe some snowmobiling and snowshoeing as well as skiing. So cheap we are booking sleeper cabins on the train...

excellent!  Sounds to be a fun excursion and given sleeper(s), can be relaxing.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

Well, of course, there's Hell Fire, she can meet you at the lift. The scariness of Hellroaring Basin otherwise is highly related to conditions. Anything could be going on. The only time I was even in there last season was close to a disaster. Started out great, in spite of not being on the "right skis", then I got shunted into tight trees (really really tight trees, not something you ski through, something you need a machete for) because of an avalanche debris field. But, in a normal season, there are routes you can take to minimize the pucker factor. Frankly, I'd recommend East Rim Face, Lee's Way, Good Med, first to ramp up. The grid here helps in determining the scary factor of various choices.

 

man! I have no idea what I read but put you at Schweitzer and not Whitefish! what a brain fart!

 

anyhow .. more tempting to make a trip up there!

post #138 of 745

It's snowing at Spirit Mountain, and looks like it's about to start at Lutsen!

post #139 of 745
It certainly feels like winter... Cold and windy.
post #140 of 745
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post

It certainly feels like winter... Cold and windy.

 

How about yesterday ?  We've got a good two to three weeks before any substantive skiing here other than Wild Mountain's valiant efforts to get Expressway open.

post #141 of 745
I loved yesterday... Great day to get the lawn mowed lol...
post #142 of 745

Never thought I would have time to install a new entry door on the house and paint everything in the middle of November, looking forward to snow but not really complaining about getting caught up on some fall tasks.

post #143 of 745

Things are looking up for Thanksgiving Weekend!  I just heard from Peine (Welch) and Ryan (Afton) that they both are getting things ready and are anticipating they will be able to start making snow as early as Thursday night, humidity is a concern though for the wet bulb temp to get low enough (at least that was what Peine said).

post #144 of 745
I'm looking forward to finally pluck the last 3 ripening tomatoes of the vine they are still on and harvesting the last of our way overgrown herbs.
post #145 of 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by msprace View Post

Things are looking up for Thanksgiving Weekend!  I just heard from Peine (Welch) and Ryan (Afton) that they both are getting things ready and are anticipating they will be able to start making snow as early as Thursday night, humidity is a concern though for the wet bulb temp to get low enough (at least that was what Peine said).

The forecast starting Thursday looks excellent with lows below freezing every night for the foreseeable future. Also a 50% chance of 1-3 inches on Friday afternoon and night.
post #146 of 745

Interrupting for a moment . . .

 

Tyler just announced the new Image of the Month Contest starting with November.  See below for details.  (Click on green arrow to go to the original post/thread in Community.)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylrwnzl View Post
 

Hello EpicSki Community!

 

Over the last three plus years the "Picture of the day..." thread started by @splitter has given us over two thousand posts and thousands of images, and I hope that thread continues to grow. The EpicSki community loves to take pictures, and there are many skilled photographers here. With that in mind I've had an idea for a new competition for the community to participate in. Each month I will create a new thread in the Photography forum with the month's contest thread. For the time being the "prize" is that the winner will be given a badge for the following month noting that they are EpicSki's featured photographer:

 

[snipped badge screen shot]

 

In the future I'm hoping to be able to have better prizes, but one step at a time. How do you win?

 

The winning post will be the one with the most thumbs up below the post. In case of a tie the moderation team will vote on the winner (if a moderator's post is involved, they will not be eligible to vote). Here are the rules:

 

  1. The image must be your own. 
  2. Please submit one image per post, you can submit up to three images/posts per month. 
  3. Please put a brief description of the image (where, what, when, or any other interesting details). 
  4. Voters can vote for as many images as they like. 

 

That's it! With that in mind, check out the November 2015 Photo of the Month Thread and also feel free to keep sharing images in the Picture of the day thread!

post #147 of 745

Novak Weather is a local weather consultant i happened to stumble upon few years ago on the FB thing. his forecast are always pretty good and is interesting to follow them. given his predictions of ~6 of possible snow south of the border is frustrating. at least it looks like local hills have started to fire up their snow guns. patience is a virtue.

post #148 of 745
So its almost sounding like its time to get the skis tunes and waxed.
post #149 of 745
Saturday may not get above freezing all day! Yes!
post #150 of 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by voghan View Post

So its almost sounding like its time to get the skis tunes and waxed.


Just dropped off my skwal at Pierce last night for a stone grind, looking forward to trying it out.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › Calling all Minnesota Epicskiers 2015-2016