or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Want to buy my wife new skis! [Utah intermediate for Powder Mountain]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Want to buy my wife new skis! [Utah intermediate for Powder Mountain] - Page 2

post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

I agree on staying away from the Savory at this stage.  I'm not sure she'll like the Temptation 84 if she liked the Salomon Q88 because its dramatically less nimble. 
My wife bought a pair of Temptation 84s and then demoed the Head Total Joy at Copper Mountain last year. She wasn't thrilled with the Rossis and fell in love with the Heads, so that's what she'll be on this year.
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcyclist View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

I agree on staying away from the Savory at this stage.  I'm not sure she'll like the Temptation 84 if she liked the Salomon Q88 because its dramatically less nimble. 
My wife bought a pair of Temptation 84s and then demoed the Head Total Joy at Copper Mountain last year. She wasn't thrilled with the Rossis and fell in love with the Heads, so that's what she'll be on this year.


I actually had her in mind when I was answering the question above. 

post #33 of 43
Thread Starter 
Re: Snowbasin lift rates, I qualify for the military rate and even that is ludicrous. My wife tells me I'm getting cheap; I say I'm frugal!
The extensive snow making leads to worse conditions in a lean snow year. Even last year, Pow Mow never got really hard snow. Then again, had to wait forever for them to open!
post #34 of 43

We buy the military season passes early and it's not a bad deal. I do agree with you about snow conditions and man made snow. Here's hoping this year it won't be an issue...the aspen are already showing signs of fall up on the mountain.

post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by contesstant View Post
 

We buy the military season passes early and it's not a bad deal. I do agree with you about snow conditions and man made snow. Here's hoping this year it won't be an issue...the aspen are already showing signs of fall up on the mountain.


Would you say the discounted lessons for Snowbasin season passholders could be a useful perk for Shawn's wife?  Does the ski school do anything specifically for women?

post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 


Would you say the discounted lessons for Snowbasin season passholders could be a useful perk for Shawn's wife?  Does the ski school do anything specifically for women?


Well, the 50% off now only applies to "group" lessons which I am NOT happy about. There is a women's week-long clinic held later in the season called "Snow Divas". For the cost, I feel I get a whole lot more out of a half day or even two hour private with a GOOD instructor than I did from the week with the Snow Divas.

post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by contesstant View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 


Would you say the discounted lessons for Snowbasin season passholders could be a useful perk for Shawn's wife?  Does the ski school do anything specifically for women?


Well, the 50% off now only applies to "group" lessons which I am NOT happy about. There is a women's week-long clinic held later in the season called "Snow Divas". For the cost, I feel I get a whole lot more out of a half day or even two hour private with a GOOD instructor than I did from the week with the Snow Divas.


Hmm . . . definitely quite a change from last season.  Maybe you and Shawn's wife could do half-day semi-private lesson with one of the really experienced instructors at Snowbasin.  I learned a lot doing that last season in that type of lesson even though I was a slightly better skier than my two friends.  Learned how to make use of the Terrain Based Learning (TBL) stuff at the base as an advanced skier.  Even with spring conditions (in late Jan), we had a very good time.

post #38 of 43

@contesstant Set up a lesson with Stu or 4ster.  I find there is a point at which we get a lot more out of a private lesson.  I think you are at that point!  I am just jealous that I don't live there.  Otherwise, I would be setting up a lesson with one of them.

post #39 of 43

4ster is not instructing there anymore. Last year I was able to set up with Stu for 1/2 price for the private. That's not an option any longer. But I'll still do it again this year as I did last, but will split it with a friend instead. We had two huge breakthroughs then I broke my leg two days later. Boo!

post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by contesstant View Post
 

4ster is not instructing there anymore. Last year I was able to set up with Stu for 1/2 price for the private. That's not an option any longer. But I'll still do it again this year as I did last, but will split it with a friend instead. We had two huge breakthroughs then I broke my leg two days later. Boo!


Hmm . . . perhaps @Shawn W Satch could PM @4ster and get ideas for an instructor at PowMow.  I know I've read about good ski school experiences there.  Price is certainly good compared to Snowbasin.

post #41 of 43

The lady of the house went though this exact problem last year.  5'4", 145 lbs intermediate skier.  She wasn't getting any better on K2 FreeLuv 157cm, 76 width skis; progressed to a point then skiing technique stopped improving even with weekly practice and she had a hard time controlling the skis in icy conditions.  She tried on our son's Volkl RTM 75 in 159cm and first run down she said she felt confident and had no issues with hard pack unlike her experience with the K2. (keep in mind I maintain the skis myself so they are properly tuned).  That said we replaced her K2 FreeLuv with Rossignol Temptation 80 in 152cm and per her words:  I love my skis and I feel confident in them.  From my perspective she is keeping up the kids and skiing harder slops than she normally does - her abilities started improving again with practice.

 

Summary:  the K2 FreeLuv was not a very good ski for her.  It was way too soft/flexible and didn't turn well on edge.  The Volkl RTM 75 and Rossignol Temptation 80- worked very well for her but she did prefer the Rossignol over the Volkl because they were easier to turn even though the Temptation was 80 width vs 75 with on the Volkl.  This is most likely due to 152cm vs 159cm.  She went down a size  to 152cm because she wanted to carve better (style and control over speed).

post #42 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
 


I actually had her in mind when I was answering the question above. 

LOL.  The Head rep was at Bridger Bowl a couple weeks after Copper so we went over and she skied the Total Joys all day.  She wanted to take them home when we left.  She broke her ankle in two places cycling in early June but she's already looking forward to skiing and that's a first.

post #43 of 43

My wife is an intermediate skier as well, she is better than she thinks when she does not get flustered.
I bought her a pair of Icelantic Nomand RKR and they have improved her game and abilities (confidence) in powder and crud. Great ski and very forgiving, can still ski these on hardpack as well.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Want to buy my wife new skis! [Utah intermediate for Powder Mountain]