or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Changing from snowboarding to skiing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Changing from snowboarding to skiing - Page 3

post #61 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecimmortal View Post

Olympians desperate for some sort of paycheck.
Agree with Sticks. Surfing and skateboarding only share a stance with snowboarding. The mechanics are light years apart

Free ride longborading is all about throwing your shoulders, and leaning away from the hill (for powerslides). And when you slide your heels are way off your board and you throw your hands up in the air. Do any of these snowboarding and not only will you fail, but you'll be laughed at by everybody all day for wailing your arms like retard.
post #62 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks View Post


Free ride longborading is all about throwing your shoulders, and leaning away from the hill (for powerslides). And when you slide your heels are way off your board and you throw your hands up in the air. Do any of these snowboarding and not only will you fail, but you'll be laughed at by everybody all day for wailing your arms like retard.

If you are scrubbing off speed with wicked powerslides- that is more than a couple of levels above how far we took our skateboarding!

Pretty cool. I see your point too.

Feel free to throw your hands around while skiing; people will make room for you! ha ha

post #63 of 89

Sticks-

 

There is a million ways to go with this; what skis to use for the very first time on the mountain- but it would be hard to go wrong with a pair of 160cm K2 "twos" ex-rentals like this:

 

Great length, shape and soft flex to start on. These would be easy on the knees as well!

I am not sure how the center measures but it's carving grade.

I would encourage you to get the newer equipment you have researched, or may already have, for the skiing the powder in the Cascades- but for anyone who has never clicked into skis I personally would send them down the hill on these.

Before everyone slams me - I admit I maybe a couple of decades off the mark- but this is my version of a target first ski profile even if you graduate past them on the very first day!

post #64 of 89

....

post #65 of 89
Ummmmm........no, no, no, no, no. No.
post #66 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by da-cat View Post

Sticks-

There is a million ways to go with this; what skis to use for the very first time on the mountain- but it would be hard to go wrong with a pair of 160cm K2 "twos" ex-rentals like this:



Great length, shape and soft flex to start on. These would be easy on the knees as well!
I am not sure how the center measures but it's carving grade.
I would encourage you to get the newer equipment you have researched, or may already have, for the skiing the powder in the Cascades- but for anyone who has never clicked into skis I personally would send them down the hill on these.
Before everyone slams me - I admit I maybe a couple of decades off the mark- but this is my version of a target first ski profile even if you graduate past them on the very first day!

Yeah no way dude
post #67 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by da-cat View Post
 

Sticks-

 

There is a million ways to go with this; what skis to use for the very first time on the mountain- but it would be hard to go wrong with a pair of 160cm K2 "twos" ex-rentals like this:

 

Great length, shape and soft flex to start on. These would be easy on the knees as well!

I am not sure how the center measures but it's carving grade.

I would encourage you to get the newer equipment you have researched, or may already have, for the skiing the powder in the Cascades- but for anyone who has never clicked into skis I personally would send them down the hill on these.

Before everyone slams me - I admit I maybe a couple of decades off the mark- but this is my version of a target first ski profile even if you graduate past them on the very first day!

 

Another NO vote.

 

Modern designs, shapes and materials trump old stuff at any and every ability level.

post #68 of 89
Thread Starter 
I'm picking up a couple pairs of used skis in sept, from a dude ode to me and comes with a all day lesson. So I'm pretty stoked on that. Half way through the year I'll buy prob the praxis rx.
post #69 of 89
I am getting the impression my old dog rentals might be too old for anybody anymore.. They don't look too terrible yet I suppose somebody would stand out a little skiing on these. Unless they skied wearing blue jeans or something. With a little snow stuck on the jeans here and there.. Then they would fit right in.. into that particular group ..
post #70 of 89
I am making fun of my own suggestion about my K2 Twos- ha ha...
Seriously I can find something good in many old skis. These, although probably not the most connected, would offer a forgiving ride.
Maybe a pair of the freebies will offer an easy ride and be more up to date.
post #71 of 89
Thread Starter 

These will be my 2 first pairs of skis
Blizzard Magnum Ti 8.5 172mm w/marker bindings
Fischer watea 106mm w/ Fischer Adrenaline 16 bidings
Getting a great deal and comes with a all day lesson..
post #72 of 89

Cool.  Report back after the lesson!

post #73 of 89

That is some top notch equipment. It's a lot newer than anything I have actually. You should do well with those plus having your all day lesson for sure. I'd say with the Watea's you have your powder skis covered! 

 

Without scrolling back to the start of your thread I am pretty sure you said you didn't want beginner equipment - and this isn't beginner equipment.

 

That's a fast shape on the Blizzards- like a little mini GS. If those are stiff in the flex you can be sure they will fly if you want them too. Have fun and keep us posted! 

 

Since you are taking a leap into skiing I might just go Snowboarding this winter.. Last year I picked up a 1980's K2 Gyrator retro board and instead of using it for just decoration I am thinking of mounting bindings on it. My idea for bindings might be something different though- something custom made- like starting with parts from some old turntable Look Nevada ski binding heels limited to 25 degrees of rotation ha ha! I will keep you posted on that too.

post #74 of 89
Sticks, nice quiver you've got there, both skis I'd be very happy with.
post #75 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks View Post


These will be my 2 first pairs of skis
Blizzard Magnum Ti 8.5 172mm w/marker bindings
Fischer watea 106mm w/ Fischer Adrenaline 16 bidings
Getting a great deal and comes with a all day lesson..

 

I think that you mean the Blizzards are 172cm and the Fischer 160cm in length.

 

A couple of very nice skis. You've got the hard snow/soft snow conditions covered.

post #76 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
 

 

I think that you mean the Blizzards are 172cm and the Fischer 160cm in length.

 

A couple of very nice skis. You've got the hard snow/soft snow conditions covered.

 

Actually, I think it's that the Blizzards are 84mm wide, and the Fischer 106mm wide. 

 

The Blizzards are 172cm long probably, and the Fischers would then probably be 182cm?

post #77 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
 

 

Actually, I think it's that the Blizzards are 84mm wide, and the Fischer 106mm wide. 

 

The Blizzards are 172cm long probably, and the Fischers would then probably be 182cm?

 

Looking at the pic again, the Fischer is the longer ski and might be 10cm or more longer than the Blizzard.

post #78 of 89
Watea 106 came in 174, 182 and 190. I believe that's the 182.
post #79 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks View Post

comes with a all day lesson

How true ... every day on skis is an all-day lesson! 😀

Congratulations on your skis! Hope you have a great time!
post #80 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks View Post


These will be my 2 first pairs of skis
Blizzard Magnum Ti 8.5 172mm w/marker bindings
Fischer watea 106mm w/ Fischer Adrenaline 16 bidings
Getting a great deal and comes with a all day lesson..

 

 

I don't remember if this was already covered - make sure you take them to a shop to adjust the binding size and DIN setting correctly. Very different from snowboard bindings.

post #81 of 89
Thread Starter 
Yeah I'm excited about them. I won't pick them up for a few weeks this is just a pic, but they will be mine soon enough. The watea are 182mm 106mm under foot.
post #82 of 89
Sticks-
I am not going to lie.....
I guess I want to be the one who gives you great advice for your first time on skis..
Kind of like the kid in the classroom that anxiously raises his hand and exclaims: I know, I know, I know the answer!!!
Up to date my advice for you has hit a few road blocks- so before I push it- I just have a question:
Have you ever skied before at all?
post #83 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by da-cat View Post

Sticks-
I am not going to lie.....
I guess I want to be the one who gives you great advice for your first time on skis..
Kind of like the kid in the classroom that anxiously raises his hand and exclaims: I know, I know, I know the answer!!!
Up to date my advice for you has hit a few road blocks- so before I push it- I just have a question:
Have you ever skied before at all?

You will learn soon enough not to invest your ego in recommendations. He's made his choices and they're good, don't be a used car salesman about it.
post #84 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcyclist View Post

You will learn soon enough not to invest your ego in recommendations. He's made his choices and they're good, don't be a used car salesman about it.
Lmfao
post #85 of 89
Thread Starter 
No I've never skied before, never even put on ski boots. I'm really excited about the 2 sets of skis I'm getting. I feel like they will be great for my first year. I'll prob get a pair of fat powder skis by the end of the year and have a pretty sick quiver.
post #86 of 89

Sticks,

 

You have a great start on your quiver, top quality stuff. Have an awesome time skiing!


Edited by da-cat - 8/22/15 at 5:30am
post #87 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by da-cat View Post

Sticks,

You have a great start on your quiver, top quality stuff. Have an awesome time skiing!

Why did you erase your post? I liked it. The info is good info especially for a true beginner. My knee problem again remember will be fixed. My back surgery went really well, and I'm already off the pain pills. I haven't felt this good (pain free) in as long as I can remember. I understand my skis aren't beginner skis, but why would anyone ever buy beginner skis? To me it's a total waist of money. The instructor I'll be working with feels like these skis well. It the wateas will be great for my first few days. It's all subjective anyways. I can't wait to actually start skiing, only about 95 days away.
post #88 of 89

I thought I had some good advice there but I edited it out because I didn't want to sound negative about what you already have in the works; I didn't want to come across as a downer.

I also questioned myself as to why I was trying to be so scientific. My first skis were kind of advanced and the challenge to ski well on them is what made skiing exciting for me! 

Have great time!

post #89 of 89
Thread Starter 
Yeah I did the same thing with my snowboard, bought a board for advanced riders but honestly couldn't tell you if a beginner board would have been easier.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Changing from snowboarding to skiing