or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Feedback/Tech Talk › Site Suggestions (and Compliments) › Additional sticky on "Ski Gear Discussion" forum regarding boots?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Additional sticky on "Ski Gear Discussion" forum regarding boots?

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 

I was just thinking that since there's a big sticky article on "5 Key Questions When Buying New Skis", should there also be one there that basically says "Get Boots First", or "Boots are More Important Than Skis", and maybe have it link to the boot forum articles?

post #2 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
 

I was just thinking that since there's a big sticky article on "5 Key Questions When Buying New Skis", should there also be one there that basically says "Get Boots First", or "Boots are More Important Than Skis", and maybe have it link to the boot forum articles?


What questions do you suggest?

 

There is a First Run article about boots called "Ski Boots--The Most Important Piece of Gear You Will Own."

 

http://www.epicski.com/a/ski-boots-the-most-important-piece-of-gear-you-will-own

 

The general Articles about gear and technique were last addressed in a major way in 2012-13.  Tough to find volunteers to write good articles.

post #3 of 28
Thread Starter 

I guess I was assuming there was an intro article in the bootfitting section... but it looks like the information is there, but kind of spread out among different articles.

post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
 

I guess I was assuming there was an intro article in the bootfitting section... but it looks like the information is there, but kind of spread out among different articles.

  

Since EpicSki has been around for quite a while and evolved over the years, I agree it can be a bit confusing to find some of the nuggets of information useful to beginners and intermediates, or people who are just starting to explore online sources for ski related info.

post #5 of 28
Take her hint, db. You need to write it first. smile.gif As I often find myself saying at my place of employment, about something that seems incidental to the speaker, "Yeah. That's the work."
post #6 of 28

@marznc - I would be willing to try my hand at that. Is there an editorial process for reviewing an intended-to-be-sticky post/article before it goes up? Guidelines for the article?

post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounceswoosh View Post
 

@marznc - I would be willing to try my hand at that. Is there an editorial process for reviewing an intended-to-be-sticky post/article before it goes up? Guidelines for the article?


Thanks for volunteering.

 

I'm traveling for a while.  Doubt there is a formal process.  Will get back to you soon.

post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounceswoosh View Post
 

@marznc - I would be willing to try my hand at that. Is there an editorial process for reviewing an intended-to-be-sticky post/article before it goes up? Guidelines for the article?


Thanks for volunteering.

 

I'm traveling for a while.  Doubt there is a formal process.  Will get back to you soon.

 

No worries. I probably won't get on it, like, *immediately*.

post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounceswoosh View Post
 

@marznc - I would be willing to try my hand at that. Is there an editorial process for reviewing an intended-to-be-sticky post/article before it goes up? Guidelines for the article?

 

I wrote this article with this exact purpose in mind. If you'd like I can give you editing capabilities if you think of some additions and improvements. 

post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylrwnzl View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounceswoosh View Post
 

@marznc - I would be willing to try my hand at that. Is there an editorial process for reviewing an intended-to-be-sticky post/article before it goes up? Guidelines for the article?

 

I wrote this article with this exact purpose in mind. If you'd like I can give you editing capabilities if you think of some additions and improvements. 

 

This would be better addressed to @marznc ... tagging her to be sure she sees it.

post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounceswoosh View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylrwnzl View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounceswoosh View Post
 

@marznc - I would be willing to try my hand at that. Is there an editorial process for reviewing an intended-to-be-sticky post/article before it goes up? Guidelines for the article?

 

I wrote this article with this exact purpose in mind. If you'd like I can give you editing capabilities if you think of some additions and improvements. 

 

This would be better addressed to @marznc ... tagging her to be sure she sees it.

 

Oops. I just re-read and understood. Well, @dbostedo , what do you think is missing?

post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylrwnzl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounceswoosh View Post

 
@marznc
 - I would be willing to try my hand at that. Is there an editorial process for reviewing an intended-to-be-sticky post/article before it goes up? Guidelines for the article?

I wrote this article with this exact purpose in mind. If you'd like I can give you editing capabilities if you think of some additions and improvements. 

Maybe it needs to be made a sticky? How would someone even find this First Run stuff? I bearly see the stickies using Mobile.
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post
 
Maybe it needs to be made a sticky? How would someone even find this First Run stuff? I bearly see the stickies using Mobile.

First Run is what appears when someone clicks on Articles on the menu bar.

 

What I think of as a "sticky" is a link that is put in the info section at the top of a subforum.  For example, the link to the general Gathering threads at the top of Getting Together under EpicSki Community.  Those who use New Posts to find threads of interest don't ever see that area.

post #14 of 28

While we're on the subject of finding things - how does one find the Beginner Zone? I was looking for it earlier, and the only way I found it was by searching "beginner zone" and then clicking on one of the threads that had been identified as such in the subject, and then clicking on the "Beginner Zone" text in the breadcrumb trail ... is there a dead obvious way that newbies would get to that forum that I just overlooked?

post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounceswoosh View Post
 

While we're on the subject of finding things - how does one find the Beginner Zone? I was looking for it earlier, and the only way I found it was by searching "beginner zone" and then clicking on one of the threads that had been identified as such in the subject, and then clicking on the "Beginner Zone" text in the breadcrumb trail ... is there a dead obvious way that newbies would get to that forum that I just overlooked?


The way I get to any subforum is to hover on Forums on the menu bar until the drop down appears, then I scroll down thru the main topics.  A sub-list appears as I go by a main topic.  Beginner Zone is under Ski Training.

 

Another way to change to another subforum is to use the Forum Nav drop down.

 

post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounceswoosh View Post
 

While we're on the subject of finding things - how does one find the Beginner Zone? I was looking for it earlier, and the only way I found it was by searching "beginner zone" and then clicking on one of the threads that had been identified as such in the subject, and then clicking on the "Beginner Zone" text in the breadcrumb trail ... is there a dead obvious way that newbies would get to that forum that I just overlooked?


The way I get to any subforum is to hover on Forums on the menu bar until the drop down appears, then I scroll down thru the main topics.  A sub-list appears as I go by a main topic.  Beginner Zone is under Ski Training.

 

Another way to change to another subforum is to use the Forum Nav drop down.

 

 

Ah. Now I see it. I primarily navigate via my own subscriptions, with periodic forays into new posts when my subscriptions aren't keeping me busy, so I haven't had much experience actually navigating around. There is a *lot* of material. I wonder if the Beginner Zone should be less buried so that it would be super easy to find for those least likely to go digging if they don't find what they want right away. Like a direct link on the top toolbar. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

post #17 of 28
I feel like the articles really are underused, probably because if you are new here, you don't even know they exist. Which is probably why we keeping covering the same old ground every time a new member shows up. Maybe they should be better linked via forum stickers, at least for the "here we go again" subjects. Or, when a member creates a new user ID, they get sent some Table of Contents of the standard boot fitting, resort reviews, gear reviews stuff they always jump into and it's suggested they read that.
post #18 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

I feel like the articles really are underused, probably because if you are new here, you don't even know they exist. Which is probably why we keeping covering the same old ground every time a new member shows up. Maybe they should be better linked via forum stickers, at least for the "here we go again" subjects. Or, when a member creates a new user ID, they get sent some Table of Contents of the standard boot fitting, resort reviews, gear reviews stuff they always jump into and it's suggested they read that.

 

That's broader, but it's what I was originally thinking regarding a sticky on the gear forum. Something that just links to @tylrwnzl 's article may be fine for that purpose, and keep people from asking about skis, and getting 5 "what about your boots?" comments. 

 

Something at a higher level for new users might be nice. When I first signed up here, I had found the beginner zone and read a bunch of stuff already I think. But I participate in several forums and was used to browsing around and getting the lay of the land. Even then, I'm not sure I had found the articles section.

post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
 

 

That's broader, but it's what I was originally thinking regarding a sticky on the gear forum. Something that just links to @tylrwnzl 's article may be fine for that purpose, and keep people from asking about skis, and getting 5 "what about your boots?" comments. ....

 

 

Just edit the "Five Key Questions" sticky. At the top, put the disclaimer about boots. Then continue with the ski info. If the goal is to get ski shoppers to first evaluate boots, don't put it in a "Boots" sticky; people reading that are already thinking about boots. You're looking to inform those looking for skis, so put it there.

 

But this is epic, so we will still get the helpful ones ... "I am thinking about buying a new wax iron, any suggestions?" "BUT DO YOUR BOOTS FIT???"

post #20 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post
 

 

Just edit the "Five Key Questions" sticky. At the top, put the disclaimer about boots. Then continue with the ski info. If the goal is to get ski shoppers to first evaluate boots, don't put it in a "Boots" sticky; people reading that are already thinking about boots. You're looking to inform those looking for skis, so put it there.

 

I think that's a good idea... and would answer the bell for what I was thinking.

post #21 of 28

Came across this First Run Article about gear for beginners.  It's not one of the articles featured next to the picture when someone clicks on Articles in the menu bar.  Clearly the key idea that "boots come first" could be made more visible to newbies and lurkers who look around EpicSki without posting.

 

http://www.epicski.com/a/ski-equipment-for-beginners

 

Of course, no matter how many sources exist with info about why boots matter, there will always be newbies who won't find them before starting a thread about skis without mentioning boots.  It may be annoying to long time members, but the fact that newbies can get help directly related to their personal situation is one reasons EpicSki is likely to stay around for a long time.  Threads  started by newbies who get into a discussion with knowledgeable members help lurkers both when the thread is active and afterwards.  Note that a newbie is not necessarily a beginner skier.

post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

I feel like the articles really are underused, probably because if you are new here, you don't even know they exist. Which is probably why we keeping covering the same old ground every time a new member shows up. Maybe they should be better linked via forum stickers, at least for the "here we go again" subjects. Or, when a member creates a new user ID, they get sent some Table of Contents of the standard boot fitting, resort reviews, gear reviews stuff they always jump into and it's suggested they read that.

 

 

AGREE !         Years ago several member spent quite a bit of time preparing a Beginners introduction thread which was quite thorough.  I don't even know if it still exists or how to find it.

post #23 of 28

For winter weather there is no more comfortable, than boots like PalladiumBoots. I've got 2 pieces, for me and my girlfriend. And we are very happy for buying this boots.

post #24 of 28

I think that if someone is new to EpicSki, signing up to ask questions about their first gear buy, they may not be a beginner to begin with. For me, that wasn't the case, anyway. For gear questions, you search the Ski Gear Discussion forums, not the Beginner Zone. Especially if they're under ski instruction, wher you simply don't look for gear advice. 

 

I think most members use just the forums for 90% of the time. So a stickly on boots first wille be more effective than an article. That has nothing to do with the quality of the articles, but more with the user behaviour on EpicSki. 

 

Adding a single paragraph on fitting/buying boots first might be enough for not having to comment on that all the time.

post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvani View Post

For winter weather there is no more comfortable, than boots like PalladiumBoots. I've got 2 pieces, for me and my girlfriend. And we are very happy for buying this boots.

That's nice, but the topic of this thread is how to short cut the typical discussion about focusing on boots before you buy skis. The forum is Site Suggestions. So, this thread is NOT a gear discussion.
post #26 of 28

So it turns out I'm starting a new job on Monday, so I have to rescind my offer (which I think kind of got sidetracked anyway) to help out - my brain is going to be melting for a couple of months.

post #27 of 28

Somehow I just couldn't help but wonder...

 

 

...if they had a baby.

post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounceswoosh View Post
 

So it turns out I'm starting a new job on Monday, so I have to rescind my offer (which I think kind of got sidetracked anyway) to help out - my brain is going to be melting for a couple of months.


Oh well, I was traveling in August so that's why I didn't get back to you.

 

As a quick way to address the issue, I added a sticky to the Boots--The Most Important Piece of Gear Article at the top of Ski Gear.  So it's right under the link for the Five Questions for people asking about what skis to consider.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Feedback/Tech Talk › Site Suggestions (and Compliments) › Additional sticky on "Ski Gear Discussion" forum regarding boots?