For those who haven't used something like VRBO before to for a short term (< 2 weeks) rental of a condo or house, important to keep in mind common extra costs:
* cleaning fee, can range from $100 to $250
* tax, ranges from about 4% to 13% between Aspen, Snowmass, Basalt, Carbondale, etc.
* resort fee, can be $20-30 at Snowmass
* daily parking fee, if applicable
* charge for extra guests above a base number, usually only applies to large places for 8+ people
Best to ask questions of the owner/manager and not just rely on info on a webpage. True for the nightly rate and the bed arrangement as well.
If have a group of 4 or more, the cost per person per night can be comparable to a hotel room. But takes a bit more effort to find the good deals. Even for 2BR/2BA condos at Snowmass, there is a fair amount of variation in the set up. A 2BR with a king and a queen bed is great for two couples, but not good for 4 ski buddies who aren't interested in sharing beds.
The point about tax rate is that if you are comparing two condos in different places, the difference in tax rate is a factor. Best to compare total cost for specific dates, not just the nightly rate.
Deposit amounts and timing for balance due vary, as do cancellation policies. For example, some places require a deposit of a few hundred dollars while others require 50% of the total.