or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Backcountry, Telemark, and Cross Country › Help finding a BC backpack for a small lady
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help finding a BC backpack for a small lady

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

I have been trying to find a pack that fits avy gear, skins, water, and some extra layers for day tours. Also, it's important that the pack can carry my skis. I've found lots of people recommending packs like this, but I am small (5 feet, 100 lbs) and most of the packs are too big.

 

So far I have tried the Dakine Helipro 18L women's, which I loved but was way too big (even if the straps were adjusted the torso length is too long). I've also tried the Arva Patroller 18L, which seems to fit, but the ski holding system wasn't secure and the pack is too small to fit all my gear.

 

Does anyone have advice or ideas for finding a pack that fits a small frame and can still hold enough gear for a day in the backcountry?

 

Thanks!

post #2 of 14

Would an Osprey Reverb 10 be too small?  It sounds as if 18L is right around your minimum spot for volume. 

post #3 of 14

This might work. Dakine Chute 16L. It's sold by backcountry.com but I bought it 2 weeks ago via Amazon for 39.99. Maybe they'll lower the price again.

http://www.amazon.com/DAKINE-Chute-16L-Winter-Pack/dp/B00FYHIB82/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1437588345&sr=1-1&keywords=DAKINE+Chute+16L+Winter+Pack

post #4 of 14

I know I'm not the most effective packer in the world, but 16 or 18 liters seems crazy tiny for all that stuff. 

 

The only alpine pack that fit me comfortably, and which I then bought, is the Deuter Freeride Pro 28 SL. It fits my ... assets without squishing them uncomfortably. But the point of the SL is to fit people with shorter backs. They also have a 24 liter SL pack. You might try one of those just to see ...

post #5 of 14

Here's what I bought for my 103 lb 5'3" wife  http://www.cilogear.com/30zskipack.html ; you can call and talk to them to get a proper fit; I had them put on a small hip belt designed for women.  One of the best packs going; superlight; waterproof.

 

 

In action:

 

 


Edited by Andy Carey - 7/27/15 at 7:09am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Carey View Post
 

Here's what I bought for my 103 lb 5'3" wife  http://www.cilogear.com/30zskipack.html ; you can call and talk to them to get a proper fit; I had them put on a small hip belt designed for women.  One of the best packs going; superlight; waterproof.

How easy is it to get at your stuff? It looks like one big tube.

post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounceswoosh View Post
 

How easy is it to get at your stuff? It looks like one big tube.


See the top pocket (for goggles, etc.) and the ninja pocket (for probe, shovel, & handle) in this video: 

 

These packs are superlight; if you want more accessibility then a clamshell type pack is better but probably pounds heavier; but given the ninja and top pocket and proper organization of pack contents this pack works very well.

post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Skier View Post
 

I have been trying to find a pack that fits avy gear, skins, water, and some extra layers for day tours. Also, it's important that the pack can carry my skis. I've found lots of people recommending packs like this, but I am small (5 feet, 100 lbs) and most of the packs are too big.

 

So far I have tried the Dakine Helipro 18L women's, which I loved but was way too big (even if the straps were adjusted the torso length is too long). I've also tried the Arva Patroller 18L, which seems to fit, but the ski holding system wasn't secure and the pack is too small to fit all my gear.

 

Does anyone have advice or ideas for finding a pack that fits a small frame and can still hold enough gear for a day in the backcountry?

 

Thanks!

 

I have the Dakine Chute 16L as well. It very nicely holds my shovel and probe, two extra layers, skins, extra pair of gloves, spare goggle and water (Source bladder). Still not full and still low profile, kind of sleak.

post #9 of 14

I would ask this over at Ski Diva, where you are likely to find more people your size. 

 

What is your torso length? I am tall, but have a pretty short torso for my height. A Dakine HeliPro does fit me, but I bought a larger pack this past season from Arc'teryx that seems to have greater adjustability. I think it only goes down to 16 or 17 in. back length on the unisex short (which is what size I bought). It's the Quintic, but it looks like they have changed it for next season (one size only). Anyway, it's really one of my favorite packs ever, very comfortable, stable, great shoulder straps (not too wide even for a unisex pack). Maybe this is why they changed it, lol. I'll have my 5'1" friend try it on and see if it will get that small. 

 

In any case, I believe Osprey also makes women's ski packs, so take a look at them, as well as the Ortovox Free Rider 22. 

post #10 of 14

Look up on the Internet how to measure your torso length.  Prepare a form letter with your dimensions and what you want (ski carry-do you care A-frame or diagonal? separate pocket for shovel/probe/skins? hydration bladder compatible with tube housed  in shoulder strap? external tie downs? type of pack-top loader or zipper? volume? ice ax carry?) and send it out to the contacts at the major companies.  Cilogear has a stellar reputation, but it comes at a cost.  I like Osprey in part because of their array of packs and in part because of their phenomenal repair policy.  Not your size so unable to help better.

post #11 of 14
I got three interesting hits when I googled "bay area backcountry ski shop" and more when I did the same for Tahoe. Might be worthwhile to go to a shop and try some on.

Then there's the custom-fit option like Clio Gear or McHale.
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee View Post

I got three interesting hits when I googled "bay area backcountry ski shop" and more when I did the same for Tahoe. Might be worthwhile to go to a shop and try some on.

Well, she said she's tried a few already, and I imagine what she needs is not something carried by a lot of stores, unfortunately. I tried on packs in shops, but in the end I had to order a bunch, too, and try at home. I actually purchased the Quintic (at a store) in a regular, took it home, and ended up ordering the short. I probably tried 12 to 15 packs on before finding the right fit. 

post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post
 
I probably tried 12 to 15 packs on before finding the right fit. 

 

Yeah, that's probably what it's going to take, which is why I suggested visiting a number of shops.  That'll also help her decide on volume and features.  It's sort of like getting boots, IMO, at least if you have unusual fitting issues.  

post #14 of 14

I have the Osprey Kode 22 small size. It's not women's specific but they do a S/M/L sizing for torso length. I am 5'3" and pretty short torsoed and bought the S size thinking it would work well for me but actually it seems a bit short and I think next time i would go with the M size which is the one typically sold in stores. So this might work for you. The Kode 22 is a great pack, carries skis well and can fit all that you mentioned although it's a tight squeeze depending on how bulky your layers are. I wouldn't use it for any sort of ski mountaineering or overnights where you'd need more stuff but for a day tour it is plenty roomy.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Backcountry, Telemark, and Cross Country › Help finding a BC backpack for a small lady