Two sources within Pennsylvania's Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, the state agency that oversees PA State Parks, say that the construction bid to rebuild this state owned ski area is set to be advertised next Wednesday July 8. According to the most recent timeline, construction should begin this Fall with a projected finish date in time for a 2016/2017 opening. Laurel Mountain will be operated by nearby Seven Springs Mountain Resort, PA's largest ski resort, under a 10 year lease agreement signed in 2008. Pennsylvania will invest $6.5 million to upgrade Laurel's infrastructure including replacing an antiquated double chair with a fixed grip quad, Trail grading and snowmaking improvements. Details of the project can be found by here. The news was broken on the Save Laurel Mountain Ski Resort facebook page earlier today and again in a post on DCSki.com
Related Forum Threads
- Laurel Mountain PA, 02/17/17 Last post on 2/27/17 at 8:54am in Trip Reports
- Pennsylvania's bold move to support tourism and outdoor recreation or how Laurel Mountain... Last post on 1/22/17 at 11:10am in Skiing News
- 2016-17 Southeast/Mid-Atlantic meetups, weather (NC, VA, WV, MD, west PA) Last post on Yesterday at 3:59 pm in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- Laurel Mountain Awaits Grand Opening Last post on 12/22/16 at 10:29am in Skiing News
- Laurel Mountain Video Update Last post on 7/21/16 at 5:23pm in Skiing News
Pre-World War II Skiing in Western Pennsylvania
Last edited: 1/25/17
- EpicSki Interview with Tim EastleyLast edited: 12/19/16
- Laurel Mountain Now Set To Open in 2016Last edited: 3/23/15
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
This is the most incredibly over-the-top country-club-like resort we've been and we've skied all over USA. It's so cool I took pictures of the bathrooms! Beautifully done. Three gondolas keep...
I went to Maverick the day after a day at Big Sky and what a dramatic difference. As opposed to Big Sky's massive area (which seemed to me to ski much smaller than its size), hard skier packed...
Laurel Mountain rebuild bids to be advertised on July 8.....Bids opened, winning bidders TBApost #1 of 66/30/15 at 7:48pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 67/8/15 at 10:09amThread Starter
This just posted to the DCNR web site this morning:
DGS 160-2, Phase 1.1 General Construction: Restoration and Rehabilitation of Park LAUREL MOUNTAIN STATE PARK, WESTMORELAND COUNTY, LIGONIER 07/08/2015 08/06/2015 (2:00 PM) DGS 160-2, Phase 1.4 Electrical Construction: Restoration and Rehabilitation of Laurel Mountain State Park LAUREL MOUNTAIN STATE PARK, WESTMORELAND COUNTY, LIGONIER 07/08/2015 08/06/2015 (2:00 PM)
We will know in August if there is a successful bidder. Construction should begin this Fall with a 2016/17 projected opening.
There will be a celebration of Laurel Mountain boosters this Saturday July 11, 2015 7PM at the Ligioner Country Inn Route 30, Laughlintown.post #3 of 68/7/15 at 9:44amThread Starter
If you will note in the post above, the work to restore Laurel Mountain to commercial use was broken out in 2 bids. One for the electrical work and the other for the construction of lift, snowmaking, trail grading and snowmaking ponds. The electrical bids have been open and are currently under review. The construction bids are being held pending an addendum concerning specification for snowmaking pipes. At this writing, it is not known how long this will delay the project. The delay was characterized as a typical technical detail issue that arises in many bids. https://www.facebook.com/groups/826787927369047/post #4 of 68/19/15 at 1:16pmThread Starter
The bids for the second part of the state funded Laurel Mountain rebuild project were opened yesterday. Winning bids will will be announced soon. Details here:post #5 of 68/21/15 at 8:14am
I would be very interested to know which lift companies the 5 construction companies proposed to sub-contract for the new quad chair. Does anyone have the actual proposals? Ligonier Construction is the apparent low bidder but surely they will not be building a chairlift themselves.post #6 of 68/24/15 at 6:25amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by crystalmountainskier
I would be very interested to know which lift companies the 5 construction companies proposed to sub-contract for the new quad chair. Does anyone have the actual proposals? Ligonier Construction is the apparent low bidder but surely they will not be building a chairlift themselves.
The info was posted under the bid proposals but I can't remember who the state contracted with to provide the lift. I posted the question on the Save Laurel Mountain Facebook group page:
- Laurel Mountain rebuild bids to be advertised on July 8.....Bids opened, winning bidders TBA
- EpicSki Interview with Tim Eastley
- › Mammoth Mountain for 2016-2017 13 minutes ago
- › Big Bear 2016-2017 28 minutes ago
- › When is Spring Break CO 45 minutes ago
- › New Rossignol Black Ops Ski 49 minutes ago
- › Rossignol SOUL 7's edge damage not warranteed 1 hour, 40 minutes ago
- › Western Gathering 2017 Trip Report - Whistler Blackcomb 2 hours, 2 minutes ago
- › 2016 / 17 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke 2 hours, 3 minutes ago
- › If you don't wear a helmet, all I can ask is why? 2 hours, 21 minutes ago
- › Spring vacation trip ideas, for a family with beginners,... 2 hours, 25 minutes ago
- › 2016-2017 Four Corners (S.CO/AZ/NM) Weather Discussion 2 hours, 41 minutes ago
- › Big Sky by oldgoat
- › Kneebinding Knee Friendly Binding by barunrm
- › Snowbird by MBrady
- › Snowbasin by MBrady
- › Maverick Mountain by Roadrash
- › Lutsen Mountains by comfortstarr
- › Tremblant by jzmtl
- › Panorama Mountain Village by Pacobillie
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by vieuxcrouton
- › Mt. Baker by jhkc
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview