So this is most definitely a summer thread.
Would there, could there, ever be some sort of interconnect between Copper Mtn and Breckenridge?
They are very close to each other, a little over a mile from the base of Copper (at Resolution), to the top of the Peak 8 at Breck (Just above where Imperial terminates)
I'd love to see it happen, and here's why:
- Breck is really crowded on the weekends from what I hear (I avoid it at all costs). On the other hand, Copper handles what crowds they have so well, that I think they could take more without issue. I don't think I've ever seen the line for the Super Bee, during its busiest day, longer than 5 minutes. This could really thin the Breck crowds out.
- Not to mention, it wold cut down the traffic as well between Frisco and Copper, and traffic on route 9 from Frisco to Breckenridge.
- Copper's MDP shows replacing many lifts, including American Flyer with a Six pack and Alpine with a high speed lift as well. This would integrate well.
- The backside of Breck looks like it has some kick ass terrain.
but there would be a few key issues:
- Copper is owned by Powdr, Breck is owned by Vail Resorts. Vail would never sell Breck, period. Seeing as Vail Resorts was forced to sell Arapahoe Basin in the 90's due to anti-trust concerns in the county, I find it highly unlikely that they'd be allowed to purchase Copper. Some sort of partnership would be required, akin to the Vail-Arapahoe Basin agreement.
- The eastern facing side of Peak at Breck (The side facing Copper) is really windy. An extensive wind fence network would be needed.
- Peak 8 is subject to many wind closures, so a well designed transport network would be required.
- Peak 8 does not have any easy terrain
- And the biggest point? Who's gonna pay for the lift?
Alright, I'm ready
Edit: Any mod feel like changing the word "specualtion" to "speculation"? Done