Where on Ajax and when do we meet tomorrow?
Recent Images In This Thread
- itemAspen Highlandstagged by marznc, 2/1/16
- itemAspen Mountaintagged by marznc, 7/1/15
- brandAspenSnowmasstagged by marznc, 6/24/15
- topicAspen Traveltagged by marznc, 9/24/16
- topicEpicSki Gatheringstagged by marznc, 8/10/15
- topicMountain Collective Passtagged by marznc, 8/16/15
- itemSnowmasstagged by marznc, 6/24/15
Related Forum Threads
- Planning 2017 MCP trip. [family trip in Jan (was March)] Last post on 8/11/16 at 12:57pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- The 2016 Aspen Gathering - An Intermediate Skier's First Gathering Last post on 2/11/16 at 9:32pm in Trip Reports
- 2016 Aspen Gathering Trip Report Last post on 2/21/16 at 6:53pm in Trip Reports
- Aspen Gathering The Video Last post on 3/20/16 at 7:48pm in Trip Reports
- Kids Ski Free at Aspen! Last post on 11/3/15 at 9:05am in Family Skiing Discussions
Colorado Road Trip Recap
Last edited: 8/29/15
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass OptionsLast edited: 10/17/16
- Aspen Highlands, CO - A PictorialLast edited: 8/29/15
- Snowmass, CO - A PictorialLast edited: 1/3/15
- Aspen Mountain, CO - A PictorialLast edited: 8/12/14
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
The 2016 EpicSki Gathering at Aspen Colorado in early February - Page 24post #691 of 7202/5/16 at 8:17pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #692 of 7202/5/16 at 8:34pm
Same schedule as the previous day at Ajax... 9:00 AM at the gondola plaza.
Per this post : http://www.epicski.com/t/141729/the-2016-epicski-gathering-at-aspen-colorado-in-early-february/660#post_1972137post #693 of 7202/5/16 at 11:12pmpost #694 of 7202/5/16 at 11:12pmpost #695 of 7202/6/16 at 5:17am
I think the best option is to park at the intercept lot at 82 and Bush Creek Rd. (the entrance to Snowmass) and take RFTA into Aspen, since busses get their own lane and traffic is very bad getting into Aspen. Get off at Ruby Park, and the gondola is only a block away.
Someone driving please correct this if there's a better way.post #696 of 7202/6/16 at 5:20amThread Starterpost #697 of 7202/6/16 at 2:44pmpost #698 of 7202/6/16 at 3:03pmParking is free in Aspen Sunday's. Park near IA on South Aspen St. Lift will open around 8:45.
Ride 1A and still make the Gondi by 9.
Had a great time skiing with the Bears on Ajax!
Back home,icing my entire body! Why am I always more sore at home?post #699 of 7202/6/16 at 3:14pmpost #700 of 7202/6/16 at 4:46pmpost #701 of 7202/6/16 at 4:59pmpost #702 of 7202/6/16 at 7:02pm
To get to Highlands, I'd still recommend parking at the Intercept Lot, at the light at the bottom of Brush Creek Road (the access road to Snowmass). All the buses from there are free to ride. Get on the bus from Snowmass to Aspen, or any bus headed to Aspen except the "BRT" bus. There are lots of them--you won't wait long. Get off at the "Roundabout" stop (aka Maroon Creek Rd.), at the bottom of Maroon Creek Rd., which is the access road to Highlands. There's a bus stop there, and any bus that stops will take you to Highlands. So will the little white Highlands-Buttermilk shuttle van. And a few private vehicles will stop there as well, looking to fill their cars with four people so they can park for free at Highlands. You'll help them if you accept a ride, so don't be shy.
The BRT bus to Aspen from the Intercept Lot will not let you off at the Roundabout stop. If you're on that one, go past the Roundabout to the 8th St. stop. Cross the road and wait for the Highlands bus out of Aspen, about every 15 minutes.
Of course, if you have 4 or more people in your vehicle, parking is free at Aspen Highlands. You can try to find an extra passenger or three at the Roundabout. Or just drive up to Highlands and pay to park. It's pretty convenient. But around 8:00-9:00 you'll find yourself in the stop-and-go traffic fiasco that you'll entirely avoid if you take the bus from the Intercept Lot....
Have fun at Aspen Highlands!
Bob Barnespost #703 of 7202/6/16 at 10:10pmpost #704 of 7202/6/16 at 10:17pmpost #705 of 7202/7/16 at 9:15pmJust checking.... Snow mass tomorrow (Monday)? What time do we meet? I think last time is was 8:30. Still that time, or more like 9:00. I'll be taking the bus over so I need to plan accordingly.post #706 of 7202/7/16 at 9:31pmpost #707 of 7202/8/16 at 6:06ampost #708 of 7202/8/16 at 6:09ampost #709 of 7202/8/16 at 6:29ampost #710 of 7202/8/16 at 9:18pmThread Starterpost #711 of 7202/8/16 at 11:48pmpost #712 of 7202/9/16 at 5:53amLook near the lift maze, not on the pavement. Ten of us collected there, some did a lap, and group left at 9 am.
We changed lunch plans at the last minute. Probably will decide lunch location in real time today.post #713 of 7202/9/16 at 6:11am
Since Tuesday the 9th was TBD, I'll just put in I'll be at Snowmass with Old Boot. Playing with new boots, trying to get them tweaked before I head home tomorrow. Planning on around 9ampost #714 of 7202/10/16 at 5:46pmpost #715 of 7202/10/16 at 6:04pmQuote:
Absolutely... but thankfully I have a couple of curative trips lined up. And remember... it's only a little over a year until Whistler! Hopefully I'll get to see you and all the other great folks I skied with there (if not sooner)!post #716 of 7202/11/16 at 7:56amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by dbostedo
Absolutely... but thankfully I have a couple of curative trips lined up. And remember... it's only a little over a year until Whistler! Hopefully I'll get to see you and all the other great folks I skied with there (if not sooner)!
It is snowing here at work in Massachusetts this morning. That is not helpful.
I found it really strange to drive after a week in Aspen. Where is that free bus to take me to work?post #717 of 7202/11/16 at 8:48am
I had to suffer through the drive from Basalt to remote parking the three days I skied Aspen areas, then the free bus. Tpost #718 of 7202/11/16 at 9:01amQuote:
Wow we must have been very close together on 82. I took almost this exact photo as I was coming in with Lofcaudio. It didn't appear the balloon stayed up for long either. I saw it coming back down.post #719 of 7202/11/16 at 9:19ampost #720 of 7202/22/16 at 6:54am
The Gathering is over (obviously) but here's a transportation tip for any future searchers:
The last few updates to "RFTA Smart Rider" -- the smartphone app from the Roaring Fork Transportation Authority -- have added a lot of functionality. It is finally worth installing and using.
- The 2016 EpicSki Gathering at Aspen Colorado in early February
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Montage Mountain, PA — 2016 JAN 25 — GreyPilgrim 13 seconds ago
- › NOAA Winter Outlook issued 52 minutes ago
- › Kids boot sizing 1 hour, 8 minutes ago
- › Whistler/Blackcomb 2017 Roll Call 1 hour, 19 minutes ago
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 1 hour, 40 minutes ago
- › Boutique Vs Big Brands: Which do you prefer? 1 hour, 42 minutes ago
- › "The only people who want to carve any more..." 2 hours, 9 minutes ago
- › Recommendation allmountain skis [to replace Armada TST] 2 hours, 22 minutes ago
- › Big Sky 2016-2017 2 hours, 48 minutes ago
- › EpicSki is not down - Comcast major DNS outage 3 hours, 1 minute ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer