or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Forum Reorganization - Page 8  

post #211 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post





Hey, you can just ignore the apologies and making up bonding if it offends you tongue.gif
So that's what you call the action in PnHT? Bonding.
post #212 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post




Hey, you can just ignore the apologies and making up bonding if it offends you tongue.gif
So that's what you call the action in PnHT? Bonding.

 

 

 

Yeah.  It's pretty hot.

post #213 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post


So that's what you call the action in PnHT? Bonding.


I wasn't aware this thread had moved there yet..  Haven't seen many apologies there lately..

post #214 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

.... Now, arguably the Climate Thread, aka CTKook and Crgildart's Corner, IS skiing related. However, at some point, it's all been said a thousand times and NO VALUE is being added. ...

The fact that I haven't posted in "that thread" in over two weeks, but it's still going strong, suggests to me rather a different dynamic than it being a corner that I have half of.

 

I understand that for some, personalizing that discussion may support a (counterfactual) group narrative.  The reality is that thread got pulled out of another forum into PHT when some posters began using religious attacks as a form of ad hominem.  Whatever the reasons underlying the decision, rather than address those religious attacks directly, they were left standing but the thread moved to a place where it was less visible. 

 

(While I did not answer the religious insinuations in that thread, because in my own view it was rather the same as a civil rights discussion where someone against equal rights starts asking how many black friends someone has and how long someone has been associating with blacks, let me state I am in fact an atheist with no active religious affiliation, though with a number of religious friends.)

 

One use of the PHT forum seems, now, to be a blow-off valve where threads with posts that one would think violate forum policies are placed [because????].  That type of game-playing will exist whether the PHT forum does, or not.

 

In fact, I'm not sure if I have ever posted in a thread that STARTED in PHT; probably, just not sure.  If the forum as a whole thinks a blow-off valve where threads are hidden from general view while attacks remain outstanding is valuable, then there may even be a separate bona fide usefulness apart from true political discussion.  It's just good to highlight one of the ways that the PHT forum is in fact being used.

post #215 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKook View Post
 

The fact that I haven't posted in "that thread" in over two weeks, but it's still going strong, suggests to me rather a different dynamic than it being a corner that I have half of.

 

I understand that for some, personalizing that discussion may support a (counterfactual) group narrative.  The reality is that thread got pulled out of another forum into PHT when some posters began using religious attacks as a form of ad hominem.  Whatever the reasons underlying the decision, rather than address those religious attacks directly, they were left standing but the thread moved to a place where it was less visible. 

 

Almost every thread you post in ends up there eventually.  Pretty sure it was already long before the credibility of some "scientists" that claim things very counter to well established scientific fact was challenged. There is definitely a correlation.  Also, for the record nobody used "religious attacks as a form of ad hominem".  We pointed out that certain literal interpretations of holy books are not congruent with proven scientific fact.... in a thread about science.  What happens and is still happening is you repeatedly and unsuccessfully try to convince others of that via the same straw man over over.  Crying that is religious bigotry over and over doesn't make it so.

 

And now this thread will move to POHT or better yet go away since the problem has a resolution.


Edited by crgildart - 6/14/15 at 6:26am
post #216 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 

Almost every thread you post in ends up there eventually.  Pretty sure it was already long before the credibility of some "scientists" that claim things very counter to well established scientific fact was challenged. ...

I would encourage people to simply check my posting history.

 

I've recently posted in several threads in ski instruction, the fitness forum, a thread on the Valley Uprising film and related risk issues, etc.  Not contentious, still in their forums.  So, again, trying to personalize things may serve one narrative or the other, but the statement that crgildart puts forward in bold is nonfactual, as a cursory examination of the relevant posting history can show.  (And the second sentence in that quote is likewise nonfactual.)

 

This, for me, is a helpful example of the broader point, which is to at least be mindful of why a forum such as PHT would be used as a blow-off valve, and acknowledge when it is being so used.  For instance, I don't see why THIS thread would belong there, but there do seem to be suggestions to move it there.  It's good to ask why.

post #217 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKook View Post

I would encourage people to simply check my posting history.

I've recently posted in several threads in ski instruction, the fitness forum, a thread on the Valley Uprising film and related risk issues, etc.  Not contentious, still in their forums.  So, again, trying to personalize things may serve one narrative or the other, but the statement that crgildart puts forward in bold is nonfactual, as a cursory examination of the relevant posting history can show.  (And the second sentence in that quote is likewise nonfactual.)

This, for me, is a helpful example of the broader point, which is to at least be mindful of why a forum such as PHT would be used as a blow-off valve, and acknowledge when it is being so used.  For instance, I don't see why THIS thread would belong there, but there do seem to be suggestions to move it there.  It's good to ask why.

I think the point of this thread is that many people do not care about disagreements about the topics discussed in PHT.
post #218 of 223
Lol.
CTK enters with heavy baggage packed with straw. Boat is now so low in the water it's ready to sink. When it sinks, it's because of a shoddy boat. Righteous baggage floats to be picked up to sink the next boat.
post #219 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier31 View Post


I think the point of this thread is that many people do not care about disagreements about the topics discussed in PHT.


 That I totally get.  I just scanned the topic list, and see everything from how one wants to die, to Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill.

 

None of that bothers me, but no, I don't feel the need to post in those threads, either.  If people want to hide those things from their feed, that's an easy solution.

 

When people are talking about PHT overall, though, there's to me the corollary issue of why some threads are moved there.  Some topics clearly should start and end there.  In other cases, particularly when a thread exists for years without incident and then all of a sudden gets heated, it may imo work better to look directly at why and how that happened, and whether it's a naturally "hot" topic or naturally political, or not.  As a hypothetical, a poster who believes dog sledding is inhumane could get heated in a thread about ski joring (ski joring is another thread I recently posted in, actually) but that shouldn't mean that the thread gets moved to PHT.

post #220 of 223
Given that the problem has been fixed, how about we lock this thread? As I can see where it's going.
post #221 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

Given that the problem has been fixed, how about we lock this thread? As I can see where it's going.

 

 

+1

post #222 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKook View Post
 

I would encourage people to simply check my posting history.

 

 

 

Sorry to disappoint you, but the "people" don't care who is right or wrong in these petty personal battles. It not so much the content they want removed from sight, as the public demonstrations of feigned outrage.

 

What is it you expect from this; " Hey CT, I went back and checked through your posts and your are right, you are being unfairly characterized, let me send crgildart a strongly worded reprimand" ?

post #223 of 223

mod note: this thread is being locked because the conversation has run its course.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked