or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AT binding for Soul 7

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

Hey all, looking to get some opinions on a "side country" setup. Have the Soul 7s in 180 (im 6 ft, 170). Looking for a binding to do ~20% BC, remainder frontside in those fun east coast conditions. Was originally considering a Duke or Guardian but felt the weight would really take away from the whole point of the Soul 7s. Now looking at the F12s but wanted to see what you guys have for ideas or if there is a more beneficial binding for the 7.

 

This is my first "AT" setup, typically skiing east coast bumps and in the trees, hence not going straight to a true AT setup. 

 

Thanks guys

post #2 of 17

I have the F12's on a pair of Experience 88 and also on an older pair of S86. I like the binding, suits me well for roughly the same ratio and purpose that you note for back-country. I'm 5'11, 190 lbs and ski aggressively (for an old guy...) and like the set-up. What DIN do you normally run at? I go at 8.5 which is fine for the F12.

post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
 

I have the F12's on a pair of Experience 88 and also on an older pair of S86. I like the binding, suits me well for roughly the same ratio and purpose that you note for back-country. I'm 5'11, 190 lbs and ski aggressively (for an old guy...) and like the set-up. What DIN do you normally run at? I go at 8.5 which is fine for the F12.

Usually around a 9 DIN. Love the 88s, blast. How does the binding blend with the ski? I wary of creating a dead spot or taking away from the energy transition

post #4 of 17

If you don't want a dead spot from an AT binding look at the Tyrolia Adrenaline series, they are on a track so the binding is able to flex with the skis flex. They ski really well, low to the ski, and are light for what they are.

post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajdecal View Post
 

Usually around a 9 DIN. Love the 88s, blast. How does the binding blend with the ski? I wary of creating a dead spot or taking away from the energy transition

 

There's enough flex in the binding structure that I don't notice any reduction in the energy transition. I was on E88's from a couple of years prior with traditional alpine bindings before this latest pair and I don't feel there's any compromise. I was leery of the setup at first for that reason but am happy with the result.

post #6 of 17

I am running a set of Tyrolia Adrenalin 13's on my Soul7's, DIN set at 8 & I am very happy so far.  This is definitely my sidecountry set-up & used them alot last season for lift serviced skiing with some short 1/2 hour to 1 hour skins & hikes.  Even on days when I was strictly lift served, I was fully confident as long as I wasn't charging full bore. 

I have owned Marker Barons & a couple pair of Fritschi's in the past.  These seem to be the best of both for me, they lack the slop of the Fritschi's & the klunkiness of the Markers.  Although they are not quite as easy to clear of icing as the Fritschi's, they are way more user friendly than the Markers.  I imagine the Ambition would perform similarly if you wanted to save a bit more weight.

 

 

JF

post #7 of 17

I'm using a set of Fritchie Vipecs on my 188 Soul7s.  This setup is light and skis very well with a BD Factor MX 130 boot.

post #8 of 17

I have a pair of marker dukes on Soul 7's that I've used mostly to skin up resorts. A very heavy, but quite burly binding. One thing you need to keep in mind though is that you'll lose the lateral stiffness and rigidity you'd see with a normal binding. It took me a while to notice this, but when my boot is in the dukes, there is a small amount of play left and right. If you have someone stand on your ski with a regular binding vs an AT binding, you'd see what I mean. I don't think this is because of the boot/binding interface, but rather a side effect of the design, where the heel of the binding slides into the mounting plate on the ski when transitioning from AT to alpine. This, combined with the fact they're Soul 7's makes it pretty hard to carve and makes bumps a little more difficult as well. AT bindings really aren't designed for performance on the hardpack, so keep that in mind if they will be mounted on skis that will be your daily driver. 

 

That's my take anyways.

post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiNEwhere View Post
 

I have a pair of marker dukes on Soul 7's that I've used mostly to skin up resorts. A very heavy, but quite burly binding. One thing you need to keep in mind though is that you'll lose the lateral stiffness and rigidity you'd see with a normal binding. It took me a while to notice this, but when my boot is in the dukes, there is a small amount of play left and right. If you have someone stand on your ski with a regular binding vs an AT binding, you'd see what I mean. I don't think this is because of the boot/binding interface, but rather a side effect of the design, where the heel of the binding slides into the mounting plate on the ski when transitioning from AT to alpine. This, combined with the fact they're Soul 7's makes it pretty hard to carve and makes bumps a little more difficult as well. AT bindings really aren't designed for performance on the hardpack, so keep that in mind if they will be mounted on skis that will be your daily driver. 

 

That's my take anyways.

I have a pair of 188cm Soul 7s mounted with Guardian 13 MNC bindings. I haven't noticed the problems that skiNEwhere has in terms of the bindings. To me, the Guardians ski almost exactly like my Griffons or FKS. Granted, I haven't had nearly as many days on the Guardians as I have the others, but from what I've seen they're almost identical. They are really heavy though, and I wouldn't want to do more 

 

I think a lot of the problems on hardpack are due to the ski itself. The Soul 7 is great on anything remotely soft, but it's definitely not a charger on hardpack or variable conditions. I'm actually looking at getting a Cochise or similar ski next year so that I have a mid-100mm charger ski for days when it's too choppy or hard for the Soul 7s.

post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiNEwhere View Post

AT bindings really aren't designed for performance on the hardpack, so keep that in mind if they will be mounted on skis that will be your daily driver. 

There's no reason IMHO and experience that an AT binding will prevent a half decent AT ski from carving.
post #11 of 17
Alls I'm saying is, I can carve easier with the jesters on my pontoons than the Dukes on my soul 7's biggrin.gif

YMMV
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by markojp View Post


There's no reason IMHO and experience that an AT binding will prevent a half decent AT ski from carving.


I agree.  I have Dukes, Guardians and NX21 on various skis.  The Dukes are as rigid as an alpine only binding.  The Guardians and NX21 have a minor amount of slop, but nothing noticeable when actually skiing.

post #13 of 17
Although I probably need to get my edges tuned up a little

post #14 of 17

I've been using the Salomon Guardian / Atomic Tracker (same binding) - no complaints. Probably a little easier to click into if you're on a precarious off camber slope than the Marker Duke or Baron - but any of these will be just fine, more of a personal preference.  I'm not a big fan of the Marker Tour.  If you are a heavier skier or an aggressive skier, the problem with the tour is the single center tower heel piece.  It tends to be a bit flexy and I've seen it prerelease due to the flex - had nothing to do with DIN - It was all tower flex,  That being said, when I had similar questions here on Epicski, several people suggested jumping into a dedicated AT Tech setup.  I didn't at the time, spent 1.5 years on my Trackers and ended up buying Dynafits this spring (haven't tried them yet).  The Markers and Atomics do get heavy on longer or steeper tours. I'm keeping my Trackers for sure ( on Rossi S3's)  - great for resort / side country.

post #15 of 17
If I was going to buy a frame AT binding for an inbounds/backcountry set up, I'd do it like ILOJ and go with the Tracker for reasons of simplicity and security, as mentioned above. But I'm all in on tech bindings for AT.

I have tele bindings (NTN) and even some regular alpine bindings (Marker Lord) for lift served.
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiNEwhere View Post

Although I probably need to get my edges tuned up a little




Well those are trashed. smile.gif
post #17 of 17
Those are the 2015-16 model too frown.gif . Just need a little p-tex, base grind and edges sharpened and I'll be fine. Hell, even in that condition they still work for most days smile.gif

Despite what I said OP, I do think the soul 7 with the Dukes are a rock solid combo. What kind of boots do you have/plan on getting?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion