Originally Posted by Lukew88
Thanks for all the help everyone. Judging by the youtube I would guess Im at level 7. Max Capacity would you think the volkl shiro at 119 to be to wide underfoot? Im also thinking that ill need something around 175+ in height. My current fischer hybrids / piste skis are a touch long and their 168.
It sounds like you have a solid hard snow ski. Given that this ski isn't going to try and do all skiing duties, At your size/weight, I would still lean for a powder ski in the 175-185 range. The longer the ski, the more you will float, and with 5 point designs (like the 7 series and most skis being recommended here) the extra length really doesn't do much to make the ski harder to manage in the snow.
Pretty much all of this class skis short- because the base contact on a 185 ski is usually around 130- on hard snow less ski will be touching than the 168s.
Can I request a separate thread about the ski scene in Iran? It opens up so many questions, not the least of which are...
1. How much snow do they get? It sounds like nobody really skis it?
2. How popular is skiing? I recall Iran showing up in classic Warren Miller movies, but it was presented as a joke segment with nobody able to ski- akin to "You want your ski? Go get it!" Viewed with modern sensibilities, it seemed pretty insensitive and mocking.
3. What does it cost to ski there?
4. Is the equipment being discussed here even available inside the country? Assuming no, any issues with importing it?
5. Are you posting from Iran? Does that require a proxy or something to get around censors?
Thanks! I would love to hear more, and I doubt I am the only one.