or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Head Absolut Joy 163 or Volkl Viola 162
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Head Absolut Joy 163 or Volkl Viola 162

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

I posted about a month ago regarding the Head Absolut Joy skis, which I purchased.  But after doing a little more research, I came across the Volkl Violas.  All the reviews rated them high and they are geared towards groomers.  74 underfoot as opposed to the 79 on the Joys. 

 

  1. Where in the world are you skiing? Mostly Colorado.  I hope to ski more in California now that I have my own skis.

  2. What kinds of terrain do you prefer (groomed runs, moguls, race course, park'n'pipe, trees, steeps, backcountry/sidecountry) I pretty much ski blue groomers (unless I happen to end up on an ungroomed run by accident, so I don't look for trees, moguls and the like) and I may venture out to easier groomed blacks.   

  3. How many days a year do you ski? 3 days a year.  But again, I hope to get out more often with my own gear now.

  4. How advanced are you as a skier? Intermediate.  Like to cruise, medium speeds. 

  5. What's your height and weight? 5'6" 181 lbs.  Athletically inclined.

 

So my question is.  Which ski do the "more informed than I" skiers recommend for me?  I believe I will be happy with either, but since I am purchasing skis, I wanted to get the best ones for me.  Thank you. 

post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyant View Post
 

I posted about a month ago regarding the Head Absolut Joy skis, which I purchased.  But after doing a little more research, I came across the Volkl Violas.  All the reviews rated them high and they are geared towards groomers.  74 underfoot as opposed to the 79 on the Joys. 

 

  1. Where in the world are you skiing? Mostly Colorado.  I hope to ski more in California now that I have my own skis.

  2. What kinds of terrain do you prefer (groomed runs, moguls, race course, park'n'pipe, trees, steeps, backcountry/sidecountry) I pretty much ski blue groomers (unless I happen to end up on an ungroomed run by accident, so I don't look for trees, moguls and the like) and I may venture out to easier groomed blacks.   

  3. How many days a year do you ski? 3 days a year.  But again, I hope to get out more often with my own gear now.

  4. How advanced are you as a skier? Intermediate.  Like to cruise, medium speeds. 

  5. What's your height and weight? 5'6" 181 lbs.  Athletically inclined.

 

So my question is.  Which ski do the "more informed than I" skiers recommend for me?  I believe I will be happy with either, but since I am purchasing skis, I wanted to get the best ones for me.  Thank you. 

 

I am your height and about the same weight.  I used to own the Viola and loved it for a good couple years.  I was just learning how to ski so I bought them too short in a 148.  I quickly outgrew the 148 and found them very squirely at speed.   I wonder if I would have kept them longer if I had them in the proper height for me in a 162.  Not sure.  Good ski though and I was happy with it for a couple of years until I felt I started to outgrow it and my preferences in a ski changed..

 

I have heard fabulous things about the Absolut Joy and know someone who has them and loves them.  I think if you are looking to stay on the groomers either ski will be fine.  I personally am partial to Volkls but either ski is good for groomers.  I just loved the violas as they are light, nimble and turn so easy.

 

I also used to own the Atomic Affinity Pure which is a great ski, 79 underfoot, heavier but very stable and easy to ski so I'd recommend these also.

 

Other skis I haven't tried but have heard good things about are Atomic Cloud 9 or 11, Rossignol Unique 6 or 8 or maybe the Blizzard Viva 8.0.  I"ve also heard good things about Blizzard Cheyenne and Nordica Cinnamon girl

 

I would highly recommend demoing your heart out as that's the best way to learn what you like/don't like.

post #3 of 9

What do you have for ski boots ? Were they fitted by a great boot fitter ?

 

Boots are the most important part.

post #4 of 9

Max asks a great question about ski boots but beyond that......

 

I would go with the Joy in 163.  I really think you can't go wrong with that ski in turn shape and stability.  

post #5 of 9

allyant, when my GF started skiing 4 years ago, 51y/o, I made an appointment with my boot fitter for her. He spent 2 hours with just her trying on 3 different boots and them making footbeds for her. We went early season before he got busy. That's how important they are.

 

The foot beds will last about 8-10 years. Your foot changes over time.

 

Find a great boot fitter.

post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

Max asks a great question about ski boots but beyond that......

I would go with the Joy in 163.  I really think you can't go wrong with that ski in turn shape and stability.  
What she said. The Head Joy Series are great skis. The Head Total Joy is the only ski my wife has ever tried that made her say "I want those."
post #7 of 9

Demo the total joy if you can.  I have heard the Head Joy series are fabulous but have been told the absolut and total joy are different than the others.  I demoed the total joy on soft spring conditions and didn't care for them at all.  I didn't think they handled the soft snow very well and were very sluggish to me.  I think they would be great on hard snow but that's not what I was able to get them on. I say get your boots squared away first and then think about what kind of conditions you'll be skiing on and where you'll be spending most of your time.  Then demo the viola and the total joy and any others before you make a decision.  You'll know once you have them under you and are skiing on them which feels like your ski.


Edited by surfsnowgirl - 4/25/15 at 8:28pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsnowgirl View Post
 

Demo the total joy if you can.  I have heard the Head Joy series are fabulous but have been told the absolut and total joy are different than the others.  I demoed the total joy on soft spring conditions and didn't care for them at all.  I didn't think they handled the soft snow very well and were very sluggish to me.  I think they would be great on hard snow but that's not what I was able to get them on. I say get your boots squared away first and then think about what kind of conditions you'll be skiing on and where you'll be spending most of your time.  Then demo the viola and the total joy and any others before you make a decision.  You'll know once you have them under you and are skiing on them which feels like your ski.

 

Good advice to consider the Total Joy. 


Actually, the biggest difference between the Total and Absolute is that the Total Joy is a little stiffer.  At 180 lbs, the Total is probably a better options. 

post #9 of 9
Good to know the total joy is stiffer. 181 is about what I weigh and I found the total joy a total slug in the softer snow. Possible I am used to my stiff Kenja that despite its stiffness handles soft snow most excellently. Wouldn't mind taking the total joy out in harder snow conditions another time.
Edited by surfsnowgirl - 4/25/15 at 9:34pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Head Absolut Joy 163 or Volkl Viola 162