or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Alta/Bird or Brighton for First Day
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Alta/Bird or Brighton for First Day

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

We are flying into SLC this Saturday and won't get to our condo in Park City until later that night.  My kids (11 and 8) really want to ski the next day and it has become clear that Park City and Canyons are out.  It seems that Brighton is a relatively easy drive from Park City, especially compared with the drive to Alta or Snowbird.  Is it worth it to drive the extra 1\/2 hour each way for a day that will probably be a lighter ski day and give us a chance to get acclimated to the altitude?

 

Edit:  I should add that all of us are decent skiers and can handle a variety of terrain, including bumps and steeps, although the kids do not love steep, bumpy trails.  

post #2 of 15

It is not an extra half hour, maybe 10 or 15 minutes.

post #3 of 15

I assume you are referring to the back road (224) which goes directly from Park City to BCC.  Is it even open?  If not, Alta and Snowbird are actually closer.

post #4 of 15

224 over Guardsman Pass is not open in the winter. From PC, you have to take I-80 to I-215 to both BCC and LCC. The time to each is pretty similar. LCC is a bit farther to get to , but the distance up canyon is less. So, pretty close either way.

post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofcaudio View Post
 

I assume you are referring to the back road (224) which goes directly from Park City to BCC.  Is it even open?  If not, Alta and Snowbird are actually closer.


Newbie here.  I did not realize the back road was not open.  MapQuest doesn't either I guess.

post #6 of 15

It's a very cool drive in the summer though.

post #7 of 15

Google maps tells, you, but it is not exactly obvious.  Zoom way in.  Can you see it?

post #8 of 15

I may have misunderstood the question> I thought you were saying that Alta/Snowbird is an extra 1/2 hour drive than Brighton. The difference is about 3 miles along Utah 210 from the mouth of  BCC to the mouth of LCC. The drive up BCC and LCC is about the same.

post #9 of 15

Make the drive to Alta.

post #10 of 15

If you are flying in, you can get a 1/2 price Alta/Snowbird combined ticket within 24 hours of your arrival by showing your boarding pass. You have to register on their website first. I did it several weeks ago.

post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Miles View Post
 

If you are flying in, you can get a 1/2 price Alta/Snowbird combined ticket within 24 hours of your arrival by showing your boarding pass. You have to register on their website first. I did it several weeks ago.


This deal is only for skiing Mon-Thu.

post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian143 View Post
 

We are flying into SLC this Saturday and won't get to our condo in Park City until later that night.  My kids (11 and 8) really want to ski the next day and it has become clear that Park City and Canyons are out.  It seems that Brighton is a relatively easy drive from Park City, especially compared with the drive to Alta or Snowbird.  Is it worth it to drive the extra 1\/2 hour each way for a day that will probably be a lighter ski day and give us a chance to get acclimated to the altitude?

 

Edit:  I should add that all of us are decent skiers and can handle a variety of terrain, including bumps and steeps, although the kids do not love steep, bumpy trails.  

 

FYI, April 12 is the last day for the Supreme lift for the season.  Might as well come enjoy Alta.  Coverage is decent.  If you get lucky with temps in the next week, could be pretty fun even off the groomers.  There are unlikely to be any lift lines to speak of.  The locals are done with skiing with all the flowers blooming in the valley.  Spend a few hours in the city today.  Even in the ski shops, there were folks who had no idea a snowstorm is coming the next couple days.

 

When it's warm, the run outs at Brighton can be a pain.  Haven't run into sticky snow at the base at Alta in the past week.

 

Check out the Utah thread for updates before you arrive:

http://www.epicski.com/t/132147/2014-2015-utah-weather-discussion/240#post_1862677

post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 


Thanks for the tips all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Miles View Post
 

If you are flying in, you can get a 1/2 price Alta/Snowbird combined ticket within 24 hours of your arrival by showing your boarding pass. You have to register on their website first. I did it several weeks ago.


Unfortunately, I can't do it since we land on Saturday and the discount is not available on Sundays.

 

However, we can ski at Snowbird for $50 or so because we have season passes at Butternut.  Alta has decent pricing on Liftopia.

post #14 of 15

Will you be skiing more than just that Sunday? Given the description of your abilities, I'd say if you're only going to do one day at the Cottonwood Canyons, Snowbird is probably the best bet. But if you'll have at least one other day at Snowbird, check out Alta on that last day for the Supreme lift or Solitude on their last day of the season.

post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
We are there for a week, so we were planning on doing 3 days at each of Alta and Snowbird. My son has the 5th grade passport, so we get 3 days for him at any mountain. I bought tickets for Alta for Sunday because Liftopia said I had to buy today for the discount. A ticket for my daughter and me was pretty much the same price as a discounted PC ticket just for me. Why anyone would go to PC at this point is beyond me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Alta/Bird or Brighton for First Day