or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee (March 23-26)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee (March 23-26) - Page 2

post #31 of 38
Quote:
Tog, you my man have skied the world, people like me are just trying to get to a few or as many as possible if far less time, as less time is left! - dustyfog
Would not surprise me if you've skied more places than I.

My point is that stats don't tell the whole story. But sure, they're interesting.

Based on stats, one would never ski say Targhee over Jackson. Some real slow lifts, lack of steeps. If you're not dropping cliffs, or aren't an intermediate, why bother? ( Yes two very different demographics but Targhee has cliffs from 10 to well over 200 feet)

I would bet however, that those at the gathering had either a better time, or at least as good, at Targhee over Jackson. One could poll it, or go by the large numbers who elected to do a second day at Targhee driving well over an hour instead of driving 15 min to Jackson. And... most would still rate Jackson as "better". But they all elected to go to the worser area.
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post
 
Quote:
Tog, you my man have skied the world, people like me are just trying to get to a few or as many as possible if far less time, as less time is left! - dustyfog
Would not surprise me if you've skied more places than I.

My point is that stats don't tell the whole story. But sure, they're interesting.

Based on stats, one would never ski say Targhee over Jackson. Some real slow lifts, lack of steeps. If you're not dropping cliffs, or aren't an intermediate, why bother? ( Yes two very different demographics but Targhee has cliffs from 10 to well over 200 feet)

I would bet however, that those at the gathering had either a better time, or at least as good, at Targhee over Jackson. One could poll it, or go by the large numbers who elected to do a second day at Targhee driving well over an hour instead of driving 15 min to Jackson. And... most would still rate Jackson as "better". But they all elected to go to the worser area.


Didn't the gathering see a little better snow fall at GT?  Just about anyone can say they had a better time at XX resort if the snow conditions were better on that day.   That being said, I have not been to Grand Targhee and am itching to go there so I can say I love one more than the other....or not. :D

post #33 of 38
The day they went to Targhee it snowed at Targhee and Jackson. Well really more importantly it had snowed the night before. Both places had fresh snow. Maybe Targhee had a couple inches more? Don't know, not like it was massively more.

The next day, there had been no new snow. They still all went back to Targhee and our group who had been at Jackson joined them. I don't think you'll find anyone on that day of fresh snow who wished they were at Jackson with the fresh snow. I certainly would have been thrilled to be there the day before. There's intangibles that make up for it's deficiencies, and annoyances that detract from the Jackson experience.

But, by the sabermetrics, Targhee sucks. And yet we all loved it. That's the real point.
post #34 of 38
By snow conditions sabermetrics Targhee does not suck in the slightest. It's among the elite in snowfall and altitude is basically the upper half of Jackson's. The west exposure can take a lot of sun but it's not as sensitive as Jackson's SE exposure. And with modest new snow over a melt/frozen subsurface you wouldn't want to be on the steeper mountain. It is no surprise in the slightest that people at the Gathering returned to Targhee in droves under those conditions.

When conditions are uniformly good as they were when we were there in January, then terrain quality becomes the most important preference so naturally we were happy to ski 4 consecutive days at Jackson and just one at Targhee as we were driving to Salt Lake.
Edited by Tony Crocker - 7/27/15 at 8:19pm
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crocker View Post

By snow conditions sabermetrics Targhee does not suck in the slightest. It's among the elite in snowfall and altitude is basically the upper half of Jackson's. The west exposure can take a lot of sun but it's not as sensitive as Jackson's SE exposure. And with modest new snow over a melt/frozen subsurface you wouldn't want to be on the steeper mountain. It is no surprise in the slightest that people at the gathering returned to Targhee in droves under those conditions.

[B[When conditions are uniformly good as they were when we were there in January, then terrain quality becomes the most important preference so naturally we were happy to ski 4 consecutive days at Jackson and just one at Targhee as we were driving to Salt Lake.[/B[
Totally agree. I should have exempted Snow. Even if both have good snow, intermediates might spend 2 out of 4 at the Ghee.
post #36 of 38

Wheres your pictures, JH and Targhee are just another ski area without pic's:

 

JH Gathering a few years ago.

 

IMG_0213.JPG

Some bears at the Tram - lead by Bob Peters

IMG_0216.JPG

Bob pointing the way in back/side country at JH

 

 

IMG_0167.JPG

Up top at GT looking east towards the Tetons (L to R) Van Heim/RIP, Jon Ingalls CDA, Ted Sorenson -RIP and Doug from Reno

 

van.JPG

Real nice view of the Tetons from the top of GT

 

 

 

IMG_0219.JPG

 

IMG_0192.JPGMore BC/Sidecountry at JH with Bob.

post #37 of 38
A whole thread of pictures from last year's Gathering there.
http://www.epicski.com/t/133137/sitrep-2015-epicski-gathering-in-jackson-hole

I took some, Jamesj took some, a lot of other people took some. ..
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

The day they went to Targhee it snowed at Targhee and Jackson. Well really more importantly it had snowed the night before. Both places had fresh snow. Maybe Targhee had a couple inches more? Don't know, not like it was massively more.

The next day, there had been no new snow. They still all went back to Targhee and our group who had been at Jackson joined them. I don't think you'll find anyone on that day of fresh snow who wished they were at Jackson with the fresh snow. I certainly would have been thrilled to be there the day before. There's intangibles that make up for it's deficiencies, and annoyances that detract from the Jackson experience.

But, by the sabermetrics, Targhee sucks. And yet we all loved it. That's the real point.

 

 

Exactly! As unique as Jackson mountain is, after 4 straight days, a change of scenery is welcome. I would add that during the 2 days I spent at Targhee during the Gathering this year, both days were classic blue bird combined with fresh snow the first day and great soft snow the second. This was a welcome change from the hard snow at Jackson on the first days the group skied. Personally, a major benefit of my two days in the tamer bump runs of Targhee was that it really helped my bump skills. Yeah, Targhee can be a little tame by the standards of the top tier Epic Gathering skiers, but, it is an area well worth visiting, (maybe not so much in foggy weather). 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Trip Reports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee (March 23-26)