- 7 Posts. Joined 3/2015
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Mid-March ski trip - Jackson Hole or somehwere else? Last post on 4/4/14 at 12:12am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Suggestions for family trip next March on a TIGHT budget? Last post on 2/20/13 at 5:04pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Do other resorts do this? Last post on 4/13/10 at 5:32am in General Skiing Discussion
- Skiing Teton Village - 5-17-09 Last post on 5/20/09 at 12:18pm in Trip Reports
- Cutthroats and Corn - Jackson Hole Spring Skiing 5-16-09 Last post on 5/21/09 at 8:25pm in Trip Reports
EpicSki Interview with Jess McMillan
Last edited: 11/21/16
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass OptionsLast edited: 10/24/16
- Jackson Hole Mountain Resort - An Unofficial Guide to Skiing...Last edited: 10/8/13
- Back Home in the Jackson BackcountryLast edited: 9/12/16
- Jackson Hole Guide To Skiing Jackson Hole Mountain ResortLast edited: 10/25/11
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
Help JH or Alta/Snowbird This Weekend? [March 28-19, 2015]post #1 of 133/25/15 at 5:26pmThread StarterTaking a long weekend trip this weekend to either Jackson Hole or Alta/Snowbird. Which has the better conditions currently? I love JH but have never been to Alta/Snowbird.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 133/25/15 at 9:26pmQuote:
Welcome to EpicSki! Are you asking about March 28-29?
Check out the regional thread for Utah.post #3 of 133/26/15 at 6:10amThread StarterYes this weekend. I know Alta and Snowbird are traditionally better late spring but for this weekend thinking JH might be better as they have more season snow this year and got 14 inches yesterday while Alta only got 7 inches. Thoughts?post #4 of 133/26/15 at 7:16ampost #5 of 133/26/15 at 7:48ampost #6 of 133/26/15 at 8:06amThread Starter
Ugh, I saw that rain possibility but was thinking that was just for the base area and not up high. That wouldn't be fun. It says a small chance of rain in UT as well. I like blues and blacks and challenging steep terrain, but also can enjoy the groomers. I loved Jackson Hole and the steep terrain there and have always heard that Alta/Snowbird was similar. I know the majority of Alta/Snowbird is north facing, but given the warm temps has there terrain held up well. Does it matter that JH just got 14 inches or can that positive effect pretty much disappear quickly in spring conditions. I typically ski in mid winter so this will be my first time in true spring conditions. I have flights on points on hold to either location for the weekend.post #7 of 133/26/15 at 9:08am
All the fresh will most likely be gone by the time you get to either, with the current warm temps.
Jackson's a nicer "vacation", but staying up canyon at the Alta/Bird can be pretty nice, at least for a few days.
I'd probably look at transit time/amount of time on the hill.post #8 of 133/26/15 at 9:27amThread Starter
This is just a short weekend trip for me to get some skiing in before the end of the year. Don't really care about anything but the skiing for this trip so going to the place with better conditions is what matter. It sounds like conditions between the two might be pretty similar this year so maybe I will just flip a coin. Transit time is about the same for me to either location. SLC is a little cheaper as I would stay just outside the canyon.post #9 of 133/26/15 at 9:48am
I skied Alta on Tuesday this week and it almost felt like mid-winter. About 6" new and colder than it has been for quite some time. The coverage was still very good, with most of the mountain open. Catherine's skied very nice, as did the front face in the trees. Even the high traverse was covered all the way to the mat.
It is supposed to get quite warm starting today, with Saturday being the warmest at close to 60*. I would not be too concerned about rain as the weekend weather systems are projected to head north of Utah (like they have most of the season).
I am not familiar with the current conditions at Jackson Hole. I was there about a month ago and the coverage was good. However, they have had the same warm weather that we have had over the last several weeks, but with that dreaded east aspect.post #10 of 133/26/15 at 10:08ampost #11 of 133/28/15 at 4:18pmpost #12 of 133/28/15 at 5:06pmThread StarterI'm in JH now. it is all relative but conditions really weren't too bad today until about 2. Groomers were great this morning and stuff up top was nice. Hobacks were great around 11. After 2 things started to get a little too soft but all in all a great day of skiing and they still have good coverage for the most part.post #13 of 133/30/15 at 8:31amThread StarterJust finished a weekend trip to JH and it was glorious. People who don't think JH is good in spring are mistaken. Groomers were nice in morning yesterday and afternoon was great corn. Ironically enough with this melt freeze conditions the north facing steeps were the only slopes that stunk all day and stayed icy. Cirque had great corn all day yesterday.
- Help JH or Alta/Snowbird This Weekend? [March 28-19, 2015]
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › 2016 / 17 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke 22 minutes ago
- › lessons around Tahoe... 22 minutes ago
- › Pondering a new bike (but I really shouldn't ... but hey, summer... 38 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 45 minutes ago
- › NYC End of Season Social Gathering 53 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Utah weather, news, and chat 1 hour ago
- › Mountains that offer skiing and mountain biking 1 hour, 3 minutes ago
- › My 2nd annual Banff trip: March 9 – 11, 2017 1 hour, 25 minutes ago
- › More Retro memories???? 1 hour, 27 minutes ago
- › The Season of Pow - China, Xinjiang Trip Report 1 hour, 49 minutes ago
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview