or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2016 season pass rates - Page 3

post #61 of 67

Not my home mountain, but one I watch . . . Bridger Bowl is one of the ski areas in the Powder Alliance.

 

post #62 of 67

Wolf has finally released their season pass price- $731 during their 10 day sale, $913 otherwise.

 

This is up roughly $50 from the year before, which was up roughly $50 from the year before, which was up roughly $50 from the year before...

 

Wolf offers absolutely nothing in the was of ancillary benefits- the pass allows you to ski on the mountain. It doesn't allow you to ski anywhere else. It doesn't give you a discount on the mountain or off the mountain or anywhere on earth.

 

The last few years, I have contained my grumbling by rationalizing that over the last two years, Wolf replaced a a triple with a high speed chair, and then renovated and reinstalled the triple- no new terrain but it makes getting out of Alberta worlds easier. 

 

Installing 2 chairlifts in two years means costs, and I expected to pay for it- every year that I buy a pass. But, this last year had no significant mountain improvements- Wolf's offseason consisted of completing construction of a race hutch and allowing logging operations to cut and clear dead timber that could fall on lifts or other structures.

 

Lift tickets run $65, but there are plenty of "locals" days where lift tickets run $43- so the reality is that each season pass hike adds roughly an additional ski day to the break-even point.

 

It is really hard to step away from Wolf, but Purgatory has really stepped up their game with new ownership. Provided the new owner stays true to his word and is agressive about opening the mountain early (and opening terrain), it will be hard for me to not jump ship to a ~$550 purg pass next year, with Wolf's pass pricing now creeping right up to Epic Pass levels...

post #63 of 67

Tahoe Local Pass

Adult 499
Teen 389
child 239

Heavenly, Northstar and Kirkwood 7 days a week.  Access with limited restrictions to:    Heavenly  Northstar  Kirkwood Restrictions: Heavenly, Northstar, Kirkwood, Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, Park City & Arapahoe Basin restricted: 11/27/15-11/28/15, 12/26/15-12/31/15, 1/16/16, 2/13/16-2/14/16.

 

Tahoe Value Pass

Adult 449
Teen 359
child 219
senior 359

Ski or ride 7 days a week at Heavenly and 6 days a week at Northstar and Kirkwood.  Access with limited restrictions to:  Heavenly Northstar (Sunday – Friday) Kirkwood (Sunday – Friday)  Restrictions:  Heavenly, Northstar, & Kirkwood restricted: 11/27/15-11/28/15, 12/26/15-12/31/15, 1/16/16, 2/13/16-2/14/16. ALL Saturdays restricted at Northstar and Kirkwood.


Kirkwood  Pass  (no restrictions)

Adult 499
Teen 389
child 239
senior 389

-----------------------------------------

In 2012/13 the drought made my season pass a wasteful choice.
In 2013/14 I gambled it would be dry again so no pass and it was rather dry so saved $$$.
In 2014/15 itchy to ski I gamble but last year was the all time frustrating drought disaster.

 

Well 2015/16 am going out on a limb again, not at all confident El Nino will deliver, and ordered a Kirkwood only no blackouts senior pass for $369 before the rate jacked up last week to the above.

post #64 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
 

It is really hard to step away from Wolf, but Purgatory has really stepped up their game with new ownership. Provided the new owner stays true to his word and is agressive about opening the mountain early (and opening terrain), it will be hard for me to not jump ship to a ~$550 purg pass next year, with Wolf's pass pricing now creeping right up to Epic Pass levels...

You need to hurry up and get old. :) The Wolf Creek senior pass (early puchase) is a great deal at $323!  If I lived over on your side of town I would get one of those.  But I agree, the price for the adult pass at Wolf is just getting way too expensive for what is offered. As it is, I think the pass at Purg, with all of its new benefits, is a pretty good deal. 

post #65 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post

Wolf has finally released their season pass price- $731 during their 10 day sale, $913 otherwise.



 



This is up roughly $50 from the year before, which was up roughly $50 from the year before, which was up roughly $50 from the year before...



 



Wolf offers absolutely nothing in the was of ancillary benefits- the pass allows you to ski on the mountain. It doesn't allow you to ski anywhere else. It doesn't give you a discount on the mountain or off the mountain or anywhere on earth.



 



The last few years, I have contained my grumbling by rationalizing that over the last two years, Wolf replaced a a triple with a high speed chair, and then renovated and reinstalled the triple- no new terrain but it makes getting out of Alberta worlds easier. 



 



Installing 2 chairlifts in two years means costs, and I expected to pay for it- every year that I buy a pass. But, this last year had no significant mountain improvements- Wolf's offseason consisted of completing construction of a race hutch and allowing logging operations to cut and clear dead timber that could fall on lifts or other structures.



 



Lift tickets run $65, but there are plenty of "locals" days where lift tickets run $43- so the reality is that each season pass hike adds roughly an additional ski day to the break-even point.



 



It is really hard to step away from Wolf, but Purgatory has really stepped up their game with new ownership. Provided the new owner stays true to his word and is agressive about opening the mountain early (and opening terrain), it will be hard for me to not jump ship to a ~$550 purg pass next year, with Wolf's pass pricing now creeping right up to Epic Pass levels...


 



It will be interesting to see how Wolf does or doesn't respond to all the changes Purg is making. My guess is they will proceed with not giving any fucks and not make any partner deals and keep inching up their pass price because they can. I think you probably aren't the only local who is seriously considering changing their pass allegiance.
post #66 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
 

You need to hurry up and get old. :) The Wolf Creek senior pass (early puchase) is a great deal at $323!  If I lived over on your side of town I would get one of those.  But I agree, the price for the adult pass at Wolf is just getting way too expensive for what is offered. As it is, I think the pass at Purg, with all of its new benefits, is a pretty good deal. 

 

It is.

 

To my preferences, Wolf has a far superior product. However, at some point the price difference will move me, and they are getting close to that point.

 

When I first bought a pass in 2012, the Wolf and Purg passes were roughly equal in price- I went with Wolf because the terrain interested me more and I had already missed the April window for the cheapest Purg pass.

 

Since then, the Wolf pass price has swelled dramatically, while the Purg pass remains about the same- with a ton more benefits- and, if the new owner operates things like a hope, a much more aggressive policy of mountain and terrain openings. The needle is moving.

post #67 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by core2 View Post
 
It will be interesting to see how Wolf does or doesn't respond to all the changes Purg is making. My guess is they will proceed with not giving any fucks and not make any partner deals and keep inching up their pass price because they can. I think you probably aren't the only local who is seriously considering changing their pass allegiance.

 

I think you are spot on- specifically, I think:

 

1. Wolf views its season pass clientele as the few thousand people that live within an hours drive of both sides of the pass.

2. They could draw more season pass sales from areas that overlap with other ski areas (Purg, Monarch, Taos, Red River) but they don't want to enter a pass war with their neighbors- they can safely keep selling expensive passes to people close enough to be locked in.

3. They feel they get enough visits from day skiers due to low ticket window prices and favorable snow.

 

I asked a few years back about the rationale for no partner days. The response was "whenever we share days with other resorts, we get mobbed in storms by their passholders and don't see a dime"- which has a ring of truth, but could be fixed by partnering with resorts far enough away where people can't drive up for a day. Don't partner with Taos, Monarch or Purg, partner with Loveland, Sunlight, Powderhorn, etc. 

 

But I sincerely doubt they will change because 95% of their market for season passes lives in Pagosa, South Fork, and Del Norte. I have met one person who lives in Durango and has a Wolf pass, and that is because their husband skis free due to a disability. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion