or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

To go or Not to go... - Page 2

post #31 of 39
Most will only want half a yard sale if they hope to be able to move after.
How is Abay right now? Everyone is blathering about Breck.
post #32 of 39

You should go, but I'd plan on skiing the Cottonwoods.

 

First of all, it could start snowing.  Second, it should be good either way as long as it warms up.  The only bad scenario is cold and cloudy, in which case you may be stuck on the groomers.

 

I was at Alta last week.  Though it was the worst I've seen in my 25 years of annual SLC trips, it was still pretty damn good.  One day it snowed 2" then warmed up.  This led to beautiful soft conditions everywhere including the Rustlers, Sunspot, Greeley, etc...  Other days were firm but skiable, and the groomers were great.  (Warning: Snowbird on a firm day was a disaster.)

 

Don't cancel but be flexible.  If you cancel they'll get an epic storm.

post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

Most will only want half a yard sale if they hope to be able to move after.

Huh, did not know a half order was an option. FairToMiddlin withheld that info in his sales pitch a few years ago.
post #34 of 39
^^^ Well you split it. For you, get 2 orders and split half of one with someone else.

That's known as "The Full Meter".
post #35 of 39
Thread Starter 

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirustler View Post
 

You should go, but I'd plan on skiing the Cottonwoods.

 

First of all, it could start snowing.  Second, it should be good either way as long as it warms up.  The only bad scenario is cold and cloudy, in which case you may be stuck on the groomers.

 

I was at Alta last week.  Though it was the worst I've seen in my 25 years of annual SLC trips, it was still pretty damn good.  One day it snowed 2" then warmed up.  This led to beautiful soft conditions everywhere including the Rustlers, Sunspot, Greeley, etc...  Other days were firm but skiable, and the groomers were great.  (Warning: Snowbird on a firm day was a disaster.)

 

Don't cancel but be flexible.  If you cancel they'll get an epic storm.

 

 

Thanks for the advice, pretty sure that is the route we will take (LCC/BCC) and just enjoy the town of Park City at nights.

 

 

 

As for the bolded part, I agree with the Murphy's Law analysis.  I am quite the narcissist, and I am sure that the conditions 8 days from now WILL be in response to any action I might take.

 

Now, if only I could convince the rest of you guys of this elemental truth -- I would gladly accept monetary contributions to prevent us from going and thus ensure the rest of you guys an epic time!!! ;)

post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drahtguy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

I don't think Norway runs midweek.

Tog is correct.

The Yard Sale is the ultimate pre-ski breakfast. One can get green chili instead of gravy. I always choose bacon over sausage as well.


Aah . . . explanation helps!  We're driving first thing in the morning from Denver so having breakfast at A-Basin is definitely of interest.

post #37 of 39

You may be the lucky bastard who hits it big.  We fools who ski during winter got nada.

 

Long overdue pattern change brewing?

 

From NWS/SLC:

 

LONG TERM (AFTER 12Z MONDAY)...AN ACTIVE WEATHER PATTERN IS TAKING
SHAPE FOR THE FIRST HALF OF NEXT WEEK. A SERIES OF VORTICITY
LOBES EJECTING EAST OUT OF THE WESTERN GULF OF ALASKA UPPER LOW
WILL GRADUALLY CARVE OUT A BROAD LOW-AMPLITUDE TROUGH ACROSS THE
NORTHERN GREAT BASIN/NORTHERN ROCKIES MONDAY THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT.
THE AXIS OF THE TROUGH WILL SHIFT EAST INTO THE NORTHERN PLAINS
TUESDAY...LEAVING UTAH UNDER A CYCLONIC WEST-NORTHWEST FLOW
THROUGH MIDWEEK.

MOISTURE ALONG WITH SIGNIFICANTLY COLDER AIR WILL ACCOMPANY THE
TROUGH INTO THE REGION. THE FIRST CHANCE AT ORGANIZED PRECIP WILL
COME WITH THE LEADING VORTICITY LOBE SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE OVER
NORTHWEST UTAH MONDAY MORNING. THE LATEST VERSIONS OF THE ECMWF AND
GFS ARE LINED UP WELL WITH THIS FEATURE...WHICH SHOULD BRING
WIDESPREAD PRECIP TO FAR NORTHERN UTAH BY LATE MORNING AND THROUGH
MONDAY EVENING. GOOD BAROCLINIC STRUCTURE WITH THIS FEATURE SHOULD
PRODUCE SIGNIFICANT LIFT ACROSS FAR NORTHERN UTAH AND POINTS NORTH.
WILL CONCENTRATE PRECIP ACROSS THE NORTHERN THIRD OF THE
STATE...WITH ACCUMULATING SNOWS LIKELY IN THE NORTHERN MOUNTAINS.

TIMING DIFFERENCES WITH SUBSEQUENT DYNAMIC FEATURES MOVING THROUGH
MEAN TROUGH POSITION BEGIN TO CREEP INTO THE GFS/ECMWF HEADING INTO
MIDWEEK. BOTH MODELS DO BRING A FAIRLY HIGH PROBABILITY OF
SIGNIFICANT PRECIP TO THE NORTHERN THIRD OF UTAH AND SOUTHWEST
WYOMING THROUGH EARLY WEDNESDAY. HAVE BOOSTED POPS CONSIDERABLY IN
THE EXTENDED PERIOD AS CONFIDENCE IN THE GENERAL SOLUTION OFFERED BY
THE GUIDANCE IS GROWING.

post #38 of 39

Heh, heh . . . I extended my LCC trip by a few days in early Feb because of fresh snow.  Won't be the first time if I catch a storm in April. :)

post #39 of 39
Yea, peeps on the CO forum are predicting the end, meanwhile the GFS has been predicting a good looking system dropping out of the NW. Let's hope it holds smile.gif.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel