or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › is snowbird considered a premier resort?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

is snowbird considered a premier resort? - Page 2

post #31 of 59

Definitely a great resort!

post #32 of 59

ok. Since you  (JoeUT) asked.

 

My priorities:

1. Snow conditions (quantity, quality, preservation after storms)

2. Challenge (steeps, tight chutes, enough 'interesting' terrain)

3. vibe (you know it when it feels right)

 

Don't care about lifts, lodging, base areas, restaurants, or 'resort' stuff. 

 

So on my criteria, I score snowbasin below altabird. Maybe below solitude. In my criteria, snowbasin moves way, way down on #1, down some on #2, and down a little on #3.

 

No offense intended. It's just my personal criteria.

 

To each their own.

post #33 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tseeb View Post
 

You are resurrecting a thread that went almost 10 months without a post.

 

I have a hard time considering more than the four Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons resorts as Wasatch Front as they are he only ones W of the crest of the Wasatch, facing the majority of UT population between Provo and Salt Lake City and Odgen. I know the Park City resorts are Wasatch Back and think that while Snowbasin extends to the Wasatch crest, the inbounds skiing is all on the back.The other resorts are E of Snowbasin and therefor also E of the crest.

 

At least the OP did not complain about ticket prices as he has recently in threads he started about Heavenly and Jackson Hole.

 

I'll concede.  I was looking for a more succinct way to say "resorts I frequent because they are all roughly the same drive from downtown SLC", and failed :)

 

For the resurrect, meh, it does seem to me that I wasn't the only one with an opinion that wanted to be heard, but sorry for cluttering up your thread list!

post #34 of 59
People seem to forget that Snowbasin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbgarrett View Post

ok. Since you  (JoeUT) asked.

My priorities:
1. Snow conditions (quantity, quality, preservation after storms)
2. Challenge (steeps, tight chutes, enough 'interesting' terrain)
3. vibe (you know it when it feels right)

Don't care about lifts, lodging, base areas, restaurants, or 'resort' stuff. 

So on my criteria, I score snowbasin below altabird. Maybe below solitude. In my criteria, snowbasin moves way, way down on #1, down some on #2, and down a little on #3.

No offense intended. It's just my personal criteria.

To each their own.

No offense at all, and true enough on 'to each his own'. I only responded originally because you had the Alta-Bird 1-2 punch as a foregone conclusion. Think a lot of people consider Snowbasin the best all-around resort, Snowbird the best expert resort and Alta the snowiest, myself being one.

1. A big part of "preservation" is not getting tracked out by early afternoon. So even though Snowbird and Alta do get a lot more in total, in no way is Snowbasin way, way behind. I'd actually put it ahead through the heart of the season (LCC definitely better early and late), as do some others, because there's no powder day sh#tshow, you can generally lap lifts without waiting in line on powder days, and you can wander around for days and weeks and still find pow. I don't care about snow on paper, I care about it under my board - way less crowds = more snow.

2. Advantage Snowbird, but think Snowbasin lines up quite well with Alta, with a much more efficient lift system to get you there.

3. Vibe is completely subjective, so definitely to each his own. Part of the vibe I like is no lines, no fuss, little crowds and runs on which I don't see a single person. Good food and nice sh#tters are just a cherry on top ; )

I'd say the Alta-Snowbird-Snowbasin debate is a good one, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone suggest that Solitude might be better than Snowbasin.
post #35 of 59

It's an odd ball thread for sure. Coming from a guy who said he's got marketing background, he should have no problem finding it out for himself.Whether it's #1 or 2 or 3, there's no question it's a "premier" mountain! 

 

In fact, as nice as Alta is, it's lacking so much of the touristy parameter that IT might not qualify as "premier"! ;-) Same goes for Snowbasin too. 

 

But Snowbird? No question! 

post #36 of 59

All the PC resorts, AltaBird and Snowbasin are "Premiere" resorts. 

Brighton and Solitude are not. 

The reason B & S are rarely crowded is not because they are undiscovered, but because people don't go there en masse because of what they offer.

post #37 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen View Post
 

 

Is it steep?


Snowbird steep?  No.

But then again, I only ski Chickadee ;)

post #38 of 59
If one where a marketer and wanted to get some unfiltered opinions and advice about a particular place, I'd ask a question like, " is _________ a premier resort?"
post #39 of 59

Snowbird will become a great resort when LCC is linked by lift to BCC and Park City.

post #40 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeUT View Post

1. A big part of "preservation" is not getting tracked out by early afternoon. So even though Snowbird and Alta do get a lot more in total, in no way is Snowbasin way, way behind. I'd actually put it ahead through the heart of the season (LCC definitely better early and late), as do some others, because there's no powder day sh#tshow, you can generally lap lifts without waiting in line on powder days, and you can wander around for days and weeks and still find pow. I don't care about snow on paper, I care about it under my board - way less crowds = more snow.

2. Advantage Snowbird, but think Snowbasin lines up quite well with Alta, with a much more efficient lift system to get you there.

3. Vibe is completely subjective, so definitely to each his own. Part of the vibe I like is no lines, no fuss, little crowds and runs on which I don't see a single person. Good food and nice sh#tters are just a cherry on top ; )

I'd say the Alta-Snowbird-Snowbasin debate is a good one, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone suggest that Solitude might be better than Snowbasin.

Appreciate the thoughts.

Snowbasin is 1000 feet lower than LCC/BCC. It suffers from the same issues the PC resorts do: lower elevation and not enough north facing terrain. Yes, the skier traffic is lower, but when powder sits there and the sun hits it, or the weather is warm, it doesn't stay ideal. Much of the good areas at altabird don't see much sun and they can be good dry snow for a long time due to elevation and orientation. Many of the good areas at Alta are reached by traverse, which weeds out the unworthy or uncertain crowd, or don't open until days after storms (castle, backside), so good, dry cold powder can be had many days after storms.

 

Having thought about this a bit more, I still believe snowbird is a premier resort. Not sure Alta is, because it is not a resort. It's a ski area. One reason I prefer it.

Snowbasin also a premier resort.

 

My criteria doesn't factor in 'premier' or not. Just places I like to ski that have the best chance for good conditions.

post #41 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbgarrett View Post
 

Having thought about this a bit more, I still believe snowbird is a premier resort. Not sure Alta is, because it is not a resort. It's a ski area. One reason I prefer it.

Snowbasin also a premier resort.

 

My criteria doesn't factor in 'premier' or not. Just places I like to ski that have the best chance for good conditions.

For the people who stay in one of the privately owned lodges at Alta, it's a premier resort.  Certainly felt like one during the April 15 powder dump in 2015 when I was meeting up with friends at Alta Lodge. :D

post #42 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowbirdDevotee View Post
 

All the PC resorts, AltaBird and Snowbasin are "Premiere" resorts. 

Brighton and Solitude are not. 

The reason B & S are rarely crowded is not because they are undiscovered, but because people don't go there en masse because of what they offer.

Brighton and Solitude may appear from Pennsylvania to be uncrowded.  Brighton has been by far the most crowded resort in the Wasatch this season, they were turning cars away from the lots at 9:30 last Saturday.  The weekend before that my son had to park below the turnoff to Guardsman and walk a mile and a half to the resort.

post #43 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 

For the people who stay in one of the privately owned lodges at Alta, it's a premier resort.  Certainly felt like one during the April 15 powder dump in 2015 when I was meeting up with friends at Alta Lodge. :D

I would characterize it as a premier ski area with a few niceties (the lodges, collins grill).

 

To me, 'resort' implies base area with multiple shops, other activities (zip lines, bungee jumps, ice skating, sledding, etc...), massive lift infrastructure. Nothing wrong with that stuff, but Alta focuses on skiing. They don't even own any lodging. They tried having a terrain park a few years back, but nobody used it, so they did away with it.


Edited by cbgarrett - 1/12/16 at 7:46am
post #44 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
 

Brighton and Solitude may appear from Pennsylvania to be uncrowded.  Brighton has been by far the most crowded resort in the Wasatch this season, they were turning cars away from the lots at 9:30 last Saturday.  The weekend before that my son had to park below the turnoff to Guardsman and walk a mile and a half to the resort.

Agreed. I was there one Wednesday when they were offering $20 tickets, and I had to park way down the road. Lines on all the lifts.

 

Solitude remains the most uncrowded, maybe followed by Deer Valley. But I haven't noticed any crowds at Alta this year at all. Praise the Lord for EpicPass. (if that is what it is).

post #45 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbgarrett View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 

For the people who stay in one of the privately owned lodges at Alta, it's a premier resort.  Certainly felt like one during the April 15 powder dump in 2015 when I was meeting up with friends at Alta Lodge. :D

I would characterize it as a premier ski area with a few niceties (the lodges, collins grill).

 

To me, 'resort' implies base area with multiple shops, other activities (zip lines, bungee jumps, ice skating, sledding, etc...). Nothing wrong with that stuff, but Alta focuses on skiing. They don't even own any lodging. They tried having a terrain park a few years back, but nobody used it, so they did away with it.


Agree that most of the skiers who stay at Alta are not interested in "resort" amenities like shopping available in places like Park City, Aspen, or Jackson Hole if you include Jackson as part of the destination area.

 

I don't think it matters that much who owns the lodging near the base though.  There are many ways to find convenient lodging near the lifts at "premier resorts" that aren't owned by the same company that owns the lifts.  Many travelers who ski at Alta couldn't care less who owns what on the mountain in terms of lifts, food service, or lodging.  All the business owners make a major effort to work together.  I can charge a ski lesson to my account at Alta Lodge.  I can buy a lift ticket at the desk there.  I assume that's true for the other lodges as well.

post #46 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 


Agree that most of the skiers who stay at Alta are not interested in "resort" amenities like shopping available in places like Park City, Aspen, or Jackson Hole if you include Jackson as part of the destination area.

 

I don't think it matters that much who owns the lodging near the base though.  There are many ways to find convenient lodging near the lifts at "premier resorts" that aren't owned by the same company that owns the lifts.  Many travelers who ski at Alta couldn't care less who owns what on the mountain in terms of lifts, food service, or lodging.  All the business owners make a major effort to work together.  I can charge a ski lesson to my account at Alta Lodge.  I can buy a lift ticket at the desk there.  I assume that's true for the other lodges as well.

I agree with you.

 

I tend to view 'resort' in a negative light. Hence my affection for ski areas not resorts. Kind of my own classification criteria, though.

post #47 of 59

A ski resort is a ski area with lodging on the mountain. Squaw is a resort. Alpine Meadows is not--until they build a gondola between the two. Now that that's settled--is a hot dog a sandwich? (Discussed on NPR today).

post #48 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
 

A ski resort is a ski area with lodging on the mountain. Squaw is a resort. Alpine Meadows is not--until they build a gondola between the two. Now that that's settled--is a hot dog a sandwich? (Discussed on NPR today).

 

I find your post to be the most compelling hijack I've ever seen.  I'm dumbfounded.  Suddenly I have no idea what a sandwich actually is.  I'm questioning every PB&J I've ever consumed!

post #49 of 59


hummm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
 

A ski resort is a ski area with lodging on the mountain. Squaw is a resort. Alpine Meadows is not--until they build a gondola between the two. Now that that's settled--is a hot dog a sandwich? (Discussed on NPR today).

 

sand·wich
ˈsanˌ(d)wiCH/
noun
noun: sandwich; plural noun: sandwiches
  1. 1.
    an item of food consisting of two pieces of bread with meat, cheese, or other filling between them, eaten as a light meal.
    "a ham sandwich"
     
     
     
     
     


A hotdog is only a rolled formed mystery meat. With a bun, it could be a sandwich if the bun is broken and thus in two pieces, if not broken it's more likely the original wrap.  

 

If I camp in my car/truck/camper at Alpine Meadows, is it now a resort :duck:

post #50 of 59

oh snap, so if i don't cut my rolls all the way through, then ive not created sandwiches...

post #51 of 59
So, which areas/resorts offer hot dogs that are actually worth eating? Which is the Premiere hot dog?
post #52 of 59
Damn, now that I've posted in this thread it's going to keep coming up in my subscriptions. Oops.
post #53 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiredUsername View Post

So, which areas/resorts offer hot dogs that are actually worth eating? Which is the Premiere hot dog?

 

Wayne Wong is probably considered one of the premier hot dogs :D

post #54 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiredUsername View Post

So, which areas/resorts offer hot dogs that are actually worth eating? Which is the Premiere hot dog?

4 of us played golf at Squaw Creek last summer and made the mistake of ordering hot dogs--no side, no drinks--at the pool bar. Bill came to 76 bucks and it took 45 minutes to get them. We talked them down to 38. I'd called that a Premier hot dog. 

post #55 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedToSki View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen View Post
 

 

Is it steep?


Snowbird steep?  No.

But then again, I only ski Chickadee ;)

 

Oh man I missed that line last year. We will hit it up next year for sure!!! :)

post #56 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
 

A ski resort is a ski area with lodging on the mountain. Squaw is a resort. Alpine Meadows is not--until they build a gondola between the two. Now that that's settled--is a hot dog a sandwich? (Discussed on NPR today).

 

or is a hot dog just the meat? :rolleyes

post #57 of 59
One could place a hot dog in between two slices of bread and call it a sandwich.

Or one could place the hot dog on a stick.

So for clarity sake, I think we should all effect massive cultural change by referring to a "hot dog in a bun".

Posterity will thank us.

BTW I am here to post in this very important thread drift.
post #58 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiredUsername View Post

So for clarity sake, I think we should all effect massive cultural change by referring to a "hot dog in a bun".

 

That reminds me of this joke by Mitch Hedberg :

 

Quote:
You know how they call corn on the cob "corn on the cob", right? But that's how it comes out of the ground, man... They should call that "corn". They should call every other version "corn off the cob"..... It's not like if you cut off my arm, you would call my arm "Mitch"; but then reattach it and call it "Mitch all together".
post #59 of 59

And then there are the French hot dogs--or should we call them Freedom hot dogs--at Eurosnack. A hot dog stuffed into a hollow "baguette". I don't know if they're sandwiches or not, but I know one thing they aren't--French. (The Belgian waffles are pretty good though, but they could use powdered sugar, like they use in Belgium, where they also put mayonnaise instead of ketchup on their French fries, which are actually Belgian fries. Mmm good.)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › is snowbird considered a premier resort?