Great pictures, @rx2ski !!!! Thanks for posting. You did a fabulous job capturing as many Bears as you could at the beach.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Fore/aft Balance- Where is the "sweet spot" and how to get there? Last post on 2/24/14 at 7:57am in Ski Instruction & Coaching
- Welcome to our new sponsor, SkiA! Last post on 2/7/17 at 8:12pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Summit County 2/26-2/28 Last post on 3/2/17 at 3:35pm in Trip Reports
- Advice for April Skiing this Year? Last post on 3/3/17 at 8:11am in General Skiing Discussion
- Must ski lines in CO? [traveler staying at Breckenridge] Last post on 2/1/17 at 2:47pm in General Skiing Discussion
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- Arapahoe Basin, CO - A PictorialLast edited: 1/5/16
- Colorado Spring Skiing: Don't Fear the AprilLast edited: 6/1/13
- In Praise of the Anti-ResortsLast edited: 5/28/13
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
This is the most incredibly over-the-top country-club-like resort we've been and we've skied all over USA. It's so cool I took pictures of the bathrooms! Beautifully done. Three gondolas keep...
9th Annual Arapahoe Basin for Mother's Day - Page 15post #421 of 4405/12/15 at 5:10pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #422 of 4405/12/15 at 5:40pmQuote:Originally Posted by anachronism
This is truth. Looking at the East I am pretty sure nothing inbounds comparable to West Turbo is open in May- if something comparable to West Turbo exists at all- it is a pretty rowdy line that has a bit of a Taos feel to it.
I am really, really bummed that I couldn't make this one. I'd been looking forward to it for the better part of a year. :(
I'm bummed you couldn't make it, too!
Speaking of West Turbo and rock seeking missiles ...
After some drama on the home front this morning, I made it to A Basin at 11am. Got a parking spot just a few rows into the upper lot. My plan was to ski some groomers while cogitating on some stuff that needed cogitating. Two groomer runs in, I went for a pee break and found some of my Breck buddies. G asked me to join him; I said, well, I've been skiing groomers; that's kind of my wavelength today. He said he'd been skiing groomers, also. We head out with a few other people. I, as usual, was the weakest skier (this seems to be my mode - I like skiing with people who challenge me). Not that this should matter, because we're skiing groomers.
Run #1: Apparently called "Hidden Trees." Steep, fairly tight, plenty of exposed rock and root. I get to the bottom, and G says, "You passed the test!" I wonder what would he would have done if I hadn't passed ...
Run #2: G suggests West Turbo.
G: "Don't worry, you can do it no problem. You skied First Notch!"
S: "I thought there was a cliff ..."
Me: "G, is there a cliff there?"
G: "No, no cliff."
S: "Hmm, maybe G knows a different entrance."
We traverse in, with two of us hanging back. The people at the front of the pack are all stuck in what I gather is the main entrance, clearly not thrilled with what is before them, which involves lots of rocks and then, as near as I can tell, a route that would be rated 5.something if one were climbing up it. They suggest going a few more feet to the lower entrance. A and I dutifully traverse across. The lower entrance has about 10 feet of exposed roots, then who knows, because it's a blind turn in a rock channel. A and I look at each other. We look around. We discuss how much we enjoy skiing down ski-width channels that have as much root as snow. Ultimately, we choose to side step up 10 or 20 feet to a nice little traverse and ski down a few lovely treed turns to the bottom of the rock formation. This is the first time I've ever side stepped up just to avoid skiing something.
When we meet back up, I yell, "G, what on God's Green F***ING EARTH made you think I was ready for that?" To be honest, I wasn't super mad or freaked out, but I did have the idea that I'd best keep him from doing something similar in the future - something where maybe an exit wouldn't be as easy to find. The rest of the group informs me that they meant to have a chat with me about skiing with G ... apparently he's known for taking people into stuff that's over their heads. Not out of malice, but possibly out of an overgrown sense of confidence in his friends' abilities? G insists that the snow was great, and I'm a great skier, and I would have been fine.
From below, I could see that the chute thingie was tight, but had lovely snow. It sure looked one ski width wide, and steep, with rock wall on either side. Perhaps if I'd been able to look at it from below first, I might have skied it. Perhaps. S claimed you could turn in it. But from where I was and the entrance I saw - no, thanks.
After that, I had my best run yet in an Alley - Third Alley, specifically. Super fun.
The snow in the trees today was great. Soft and easy to turn in. You just had to watch for thin spots with exposed rock and root. And be aware of your ski compadre's foibles.post #423 of 4405/12/15 at 5:50pmpost #424 of 4405/12/15 at 6:07pmQuote:
So ... were you alone, and did you just trust that there was something to ski beyond that choke point?post #425 of 4405/12/15 at 6:10pmQuote:
I was alone, and if there wasn't something to ski, there is always the climb-back-up option. It's part of exploring, welcome to the game!post #426 of 4405/12/15 at 6:21pmpost #427 of 4405/12/15 at 8:16pm
So, not to get all hung up on the ballet gif, but after some inspiration from @Kimmyt I just thought I'd mention that there's this site called gifsound.com:post #428 of 4405/13/15 at 10:27am
I'm finding some hidden gems in some of the photos I took on Monday (yes, exciting teleconference I'm on).
And then I zoomed in on a couple of the peaks and saw these little ants on the peaks.....Dang, I want the view from there!post #429 of 4405/13/15 at 10:40ampost #430 of 4405/13/15 at 10:57ampost #431 of 4405/13/15 at 11:02ampost #432 of 4405/13/15 at 11:23ampost #433 of 4405/13/15 at 12:21pmpost #434 of 4405/13/15 at 12:38pmpost #435 of 4405/13/15 at 1:29pmpost #436 of 4405/13/15 at 1:54pmpost #437 of 4405/13/15 at 2:11pmQuote:
I actually have two mounted pairs left. I also just got picked up by Rocky Mountain Underground so hopefully they will give me plenty of stuff to destroy. Let me know if you need anything.post #438 of 4405/13/15 at 2:22pmQuote:post #439 of 4405/19/15 at 1:25pm
Thanks to Trekchick and Philpug for putting together a great gathering & season ending...which seems a little premature judging by all the snow in Utah and the high number on Mother's Day, but hope to repeat next season!
- 9th Annual Arapahoe Basin for Mother's Day
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Arapahoe Basin, CO - A Pictorial
- › Can you please comment on my skiing? 17 seconds ago
- › 2010/2011 Kastle MX 88 Replacement 15 minutes ago
- › Ski Ballet... 18 minutes ago
- › 2015 Tecnica Cochise 110 or Dynafit Radical CR boots for new AT setup? 22 minutes ago
- › Vintage Hart Skis and Rieker Leather Boots 25 minutes ago
- › If you don't wear a helmet, all I can ask is why? 45 minutes ago
- › 2016 / 17 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke 47 minutes ago
- › Waxing tips and removing rust from leaving in roof box too wet? 1 hour, 19 minutes ago
- › Kastle MX88 review 1 hour, 30 minutes ago
- › Great older skis 1 hour, 42 minutes ago
- › Okemo Mountain by TRobertson
- › Big Sky by oldgoat
- › Kneebinding Knee Friendly Binding by barunrm
- › Snowbird by MBrady
- › Snowbasin by MBrady
- › Maverick Mountain by Roadrash
- › Lutsen Mountains by comfortstarr
- › Tremblant by jzmtl
- › Panorama Mountain Village by Pacobillie
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by vieuxcrouton
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview