- 2,182 Posts. Joined 10/2006
- Location: Under the CO Sun
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Fore/aft Balance- Where is the "sweet spot" and how to get there? Last post on 2/24/14 at 7:57am in Ski Instruction & Coaching
- Welcome to our new sponsor, SkiA! Last post on 11/13/14 at 5:07pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Winter Park or Loveland Week Before Christmas? Last post on 8/30/16 at 8:03pm in General Skiing Discussion
- North American skiing after Memorial Day? Last post on 6/6/16 at 10:41am in General Skiing Discussion
- Banff or A-basin in Late April/Early May!! Last post on 5/3/16 at 3:11pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: Yesterday
- Arapahoe Basin, CO - A PictorialLast edited: 1/5/16
- Colorado Spring Skiing: Don't Fear the AprilLast edited: 6/1/13
- In Praise of the Anti-ResortsLast edited: 5/28/13
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
9th Annual Arapahoe Basin for Mother's Day - Page 12post #331 of 4405/10/15 at 5:42am6" nowhere near the forecasts......still fun
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #332 of 4405/10/15 at 5:43ampost #333 of 4405/10/15 at 5:44ampost #334 of 4405/10/15 at 5:44ampost #335 of 4405/10/15 at 5:48ampost #336 of 4405/10/15 at 5:54ampost #337 of 4405/10/15 at 5:56am
Mother Earth has delivered 6 years in a row. Wish I could share the video from facebook, but couldn't get a link on it.
This may or may not work.post #338 of 4405/10/15 at 6:26amThread Starterpost #339 of 4405/10/15 at 8:31ampost #340 of 4405/10/15 at 10:21amHope everyone with Epic got to A-Basin very early this morning. By 8:30 all parking lots were completely full with a solid line of cars on Hwy6 backed up all the way back to Keystone with nowhere to go. This storm was advertised for a solid week so everyone made plans to attend. I wanted to show up around noon for the cookout at the Beach. Now no reasonable way to get there. See those left over tomorrow morning at the Basin. JMDpost #341 of 4405/10/15 at 10:21amHope everyone with Epic got to A-Basin very early this morning. By 8:30 all parking lots were completely full with a solid line of cars on Hwy6 backed up all the way back to Keystone with nowhere to go. This storm was advertised for a solid week so everyone made plans to attend. I wanted to show up around noon for the cookout at the Beach. Now no reasonable way to get there. See those left over tomorrow morning at the Basin. JMDpost #342 of 4405/10/15 at 10:27amQuote:Originally Posted by JMD
Hope everyone with Epic got to A-Basin very early this morning. By 8:30 all parking lots were completely full with a solid line of cars on Hwy6 backed up all the way back to Keystone with nowhere to go. This storm was advertised for a solid week so everyone made plans to attend. I wanted to show up around noon for the cookout at the Beach. Now no reasonable way to get there. See those left over tomorrow morning at the Basin. JMD
Thanks for the report. We made a call late yesterday to not try to get up today. No way I would have had my family there by 8:30...but planning to get up tomorrow with my wife.
There is another storm coming down the back side of this current storm this evening, so tomorrow may be a sleeper day...post #343 of 4405/10/15 at 11:20amI got there at 8, couldn't find my buddy who was supposed to hook me up with a cheap ticket, saw the 40 deep line at the ticket window, and bailed. Having lunch w/mom, which I probably should have planned on in the first place.
Think I'll try an IB tour at the Luv tomorrow, maybe some pass laps.
Anybody down?post #344 of 4405/10/15 at 2:39pmpost #345 of 4405/10/15 at 3:11pmpost #346 of 4405/10/15 at 4:01pm
It was crazy there today, reports say there were over 5400 people on the hill. People were parking over a mile down the road and walking up.
People were parking up towards Loveland pass and mountain boating down the hill (sorry for the bad pic, it was from iPhone)
I stuck to the Mollie Hogan working on my Ballet moves....
Thanks @rx2skipost #347 of 4405/10/15 at 4:03pmQuote:
Upper east wall was open for literally an hour today. I spoke with a patroller who was stationed at the ski area boundry of land of the Giants and he said the weather was creating a lot of static and as a result the patrollers didn't want to go up there with their explosives. Maybe someone who knows more about this phenomenon can comment.post #348 of 4405/10/15 at 4:11pmpost #349 of 4405/10/15 at 4:12pmpost #350 of 4405/10/15 at 4:24pmpost #351 of 4405/10/15 at 4:33pmpost #352 of 4405/10/15 at 5:48pmQuote:
@SkiNurse, were those trees you were looking for open?Quote:
Which part? Lower was open fairly early in the day. I saw people hiking upper at some point, too.post #353 of 4405/10/15 at 6:08pmpost #354 of 4405/10/15 at 6:13pmThere were hundreds of people going up to the upper east wall at 2:00. I stopped counting the number of people at the top and along the ridge at 35 and I wasn't but about half way through them. The line going up was face to ass. The lift line at Pali was 20-25 minutes till about 1:30 when it started to go down. I've been skiing the Basin for 25 years and I've never seen a day even close to as crowded as today.post #355 of 4405/10/15 at 7:22pmQuote:
I'm really only interested in the upper East Wall, which is pretty exclusive to the most core like myself....Quote:
... or, maybe I'm not so core.
Hoping to make it up tomorrow... I guess beat to crap leftovers at A-basin are probably better than what the rest of the world is skiing on right now.post #356 of 4405/10/15 at 8:33pm
From Al's Blog. I saw the ant trail from Pali and raced over to lenawee but didn't make the cutoff. I've missed the cutoff a few times now, it's getting especially tricky late season now, if you want to catch it when it's open, it's probably a good bet to talk to ski patrol multiple times a day.post #357 of 4405/10/15 at 9:33pmQuote:That's quite the sky behind the ants!Originally Posted by skiNEwhere
From Al's Blog. I saw the ant trail from Pali and raced over to lenawee but didn't make the cutoff. I've missed the cutoff a few times now, it's getting especially tricky late season now, if you want to catch it when it's open, it's probably a good bet to talk to ski patrol multiple times a day.post #358 of 4405/10/15 at 9:55pm
No one will ever accuse bears of not being colorful....
NOTE: If anyone wants their photo removed, let me or a moderator know. If you want to identify yourself, take the photo from this post and repost with your screen ID.
Edited by rx2ski - 5/12/15 at 8:31ampost #359 of 4405/10/15 at 10:06pm
^^ After trying to learn people's real names, I am not going to venture out and try to match screen names. Good night. Not sure if I'm skiing the Basin tomorrow--it will be a morning decision.post #360 of 4405/10/15 at 10:09pm
- 9th Annual Arapahoe Basin for Mother's Day
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Arapahoe Basin, CO - A Pictorial
- › Olin MKVI Comp DH skis 17 minutes ago
- › Alberta/Eastern BC - 2016/17 1 hour, 6 minutes ago
- › Ski dimensions advice [2nd season in WA, bought used Solomon Scream W] 1 hour, 15 minutes ago
- › Ski Rack: Top of Vehicle with 6-8 Skis? 1 hour, 16 minutes ago
- › Whistler 2017 Gathering- General Info, Questions and Advice Thread 1 hour, 24 minutes ago
- › Late Dec road trip, Tahoe, Sun Valley, Jackson Hole, Alta/Snowbird 1 hour, 32 minutes ago
- › Relatively New Skier, Need Some Help On Ski Width/Shape! 2 hours ago
- › Bode News 2 hours, 13 minutes ago
- › Help me analyse some of my turns? 2 hours, 15 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Southeast/Mid-Atlantic meetups, weather (NC, VA, WV, MD,... 2 hours, 27 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer