- 9 Posts. Joined 4/2015
- Location: SE MN
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Fore/aft Balance- Where is the "sweet spot" and how to get there? Last post on 2/24/14 at 7:57am in Ski Instruction & Coaching
- Welcome to our new sponsor, SkiA! Last post on 11/13/14 at 5:07pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Winter Park or Loveland Week Before Christmas? Last post on 8/30/16 at 8:03pm in General Skiing Discussion
- North American skiing after Memorial Day? Last post on 6/6/16 at 10:41am in General Skiing Discussion
- Banff or A-basin in Late April/Early May!! Last post on 5/3/16 at 3:11pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- Arapahoe Basin, CO - A PictorialLast edited: 1/5/16
- Colorado Spring Skiing: Don't Fear the AprilLast edited: 6/1/13
- In Praise of the Anti-ResortsLast edited: 5/28/13
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
9th Annual Arapahoe Basin for Mother's Day - Page 10post #271 of 4405/7/15 at 3:59pmSo where should a guy park in the lots (advice) Saturday and does the lots open at a certain time? Thanks for all your help the last couple days guys. So excited for Mother's Day!
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #272 of 4405/7/15 at 4:02pmQuote:Originally Posted by NayBreak
^^^I don't think the single black east Zuma terrain was ever closed (was it?) except for conditions specific reasons such as it getting icy like when I was there on Monday and they roped the traverse midday. But even then you could still ski frozen chickens with gravy on Black Bear if you really felt like it rather than skiing soft stuff frontside or the ZumaGroom(tm).
You could ski under the permanent 'island' between Columbine and Northern Spy and continue left, but you couldn't go beyond Elk Meadows. A rope had been placed to keep you out of Torreys, Grays and Bierstadt. Fingers crossed that the entire east side will be open this weekend.post #273 of 4405/7/15 at 4:04pmpost #274 of 4405/7/15 at 4:08pm
@MN Powder Hound, The lots open very early (at least by 6 AM). If you get there early enough you can get into the lower lot. After 7:30 or so, it'll be full (weekend AND likely fresh snow) and you'll have to go to the upper lots. It is a bit of a walk from there to the base. It is a toss up to walk in your boots or change at the base lodge. There is a locker area in the basement of the building housing the ski shop along with bathrooms.
By comparison, yesterday the lower lot didn't get more than half full at any point during the day.post #275 of 4405/7/15 at 4:19pmpost #276 of 4405/7/15 at 5:21pmQuote:Originally Posted by Philpug
Good catching up to @tball today. Pali had some of the best cream cheese I have ever skied on it. WOW. With Sunday looking like a powder day, Friday will be the party/retro day at the beach, dress accordingly.
No kidding. I've never enjoyed Pali so much as I did today. Very forgiving and fun and slidey.
My costume is stuck en route from China to here, so I will just have to follow my plan B - dress like a gaper, ie, my usual gear =) Anyway, it's not all *that* warm.post #277 of 4405/7/15 at 6:05pmpost #278 of 4405/7/15 at 6:38pmpost #279 of 4405/7/15 at 6:50pm
Us Albas wish we could go on this trip. I have to travel for work this weekend.
Have a Happy Mothers Day ski trip...
Powder is coming your way.post #280 of 4405/7/15 at 7:51pm
Great to catch up with you too @Philpug. I enjoyed following your sweet line through the Allleys!
Pretty amazing how many Bears were up there for Thursday! Good seeing friendly old faces and meeting a few new, at least briefly. Unfortunately I'm out of the powder fun for this weekend, but plan to head back up Monday or Tuesday hoping to get some East Wall hike-to turns.
Have fun everyone, the skiing should be fantastic!post #281 of 4405/7/15 at 8:01pmpost #282 of 4405/7/15 at 8:19pmYea...here we go...
POTENTIAL SNOW AMOUNTS OF 10
TO 20 INCHES POSSIBLE IN ZONES 33 AND 34..
A-Basin is in zone 34.
BY 12Z SUNDAY...THE UPPER/SURFACE LOW WILL BE NEARLY STACKED BY 12Z
SUNDAY AS IT IS PROGGED TO SHIFT INTO SWRN NEBRASKA. A COLD AND
STRONG NORTH/NORTHWESTERLY FLOW ALOFT OVER THE CWA.
A strong, cold, vertically stacked low (meaning upper and surface lows in the same position)...if I could...I'd get to the west side of Eisenhower on Sat...
Edited by NayBreak - 5/7/15 at 8:34pmpost #283 of 4405/7/15 at 8:20pmpost #284 of 4405/7/15 at 8:22pmpost #285 of 4405/7/15 at 9:34pm
Here's what was open off the Pali lift today. I made a point to ski all the rope lines looking for hidden treasures, so this should give you a lot more info than A-basin's website:
- It was all really good today!
- The bottom third to half of the Alleys were closed at a traverse out to Pali.
- Most the good stuff off Grizzly Road under and to skier's right of the Pali lift was closed. It looked really nice on top, but coverage is really thin down below, so it will be interesting to see if it reopens.
- The Google map above doesn't have all the runs labeled correctly. The Alleys are off a bit, as are Standard/13 Cornices. I skied the rope line down 13 Cornices but it shows I was on Standard, for example. Also (for you data geeks out there), my watch auto-pauses while riding the lift, then restarts at a little different spot once I'm moving downhill. That's why the Pali lift looks like it's going to different spots up top.
Finally, be careful out there! There were big holes where people broke through that were scary when soft and will be treacherous when refrozen.post #286 of 4405/7/15 at 10:41pmpost #287 of 4405/7/15 at 11:12pmpost #288 of 4405/8/15 at 5:36am
Morning report from Breck: not much snow on my deck, but it's snowing fat, wet flakes now. A Basin web cams look like they've only gotten a dusting so far, but they don't seem to have a snow stake cam (or am I blind?)post #289 of 4405/8/15 at 5:38amQuote:
On his feet. Stuck it.post #290 of 4405/8/15 at 5:54amThread StarterQuote:
Apparently you didn't see what we did last year during a blizzard on Mother's Day.post #291 of 4405/8/15 at 5:55amQuote:Originally Posted by Trekchick
Apparently you didn't see what we did last year during a blizzard on Mother's Day.
Nope =/ I was injured and too mopey to go watch other people ski.post #292 of 4405/8/15 at 6:12amQuote:
A-Basin reported 3". If you sign up for the Pali's Pitch newsletter, they'll send you snow report emails once they take the official measurement...
I am stuck at home again today - end of year student council party for one of my kids and I can't get stuck in rock scaling I-70 closures. What is this deal with real life?
Edited by NayBreak - 5/8/15 at 6:29ampost #293 of 4405/8/15 at 6:38amQuote:
Yeah, baby! Bring on the hard liquor and donuts!
That's the idea!
We will have all summer to be warm.post #294 of 4405/8/15 at 6:39ampost #295 of 4405/8/15 at 7:01ampost #296 of 4405/8/15 at 9:31ampost #297 of 4405/8/15 at 10:07amQuote:
From today's edition of Did You Know?
Both 6th Alley and BML have wifi service.
I think BML's is new - noticed the Hughes satellite dish the other day...figured there's only one reason for that....post #298 of 4405/8/15 at 10:08amQuote:Originally Posted by NayBreakQuote:
From today's edition of Did You Know?
Both 6th Alley and BML have wifi service.
I think BML's is new - noticed the Hughes satellite dish the other day...figured there's only one reason for that....
Not sure about anyone else but their wifi has never worked for mepost #299 of 4405/8/15 at 10:10ampost #300 of 4405/8/15 at 11:53amI have had issues getting on their wifi in the past, but this year never had an issue. And I don't think anybody knows that BML has wifi.
Or that you have acceptable Verizon service on the top half of Zuma lift. I do a lot of work in those 3 minute segments .
- 9th Annual Arapahoe Basin for Mother's Day
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Arapahoe Basin, CO - A Pictorial
- › Basic entry level poles? 3 minutes ago
- › Achilles tear no surgery 13 minutes ago
- › What's your ski trip rig? Lets see some pictures! 15 minutes ago
- › GogglePal - anyone test this universal HUD yet? 56 minutes ago
- › What do you take when resort skiing? 1 hour, 27 minutes ago
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 3 hours, 3 minutes ago
- › 2015 Fischer Motive 95 180cm quick review 3 hours, 7 minutes ago
- › Atomic Redster Ski Boot Club 4 hours, 1 minute ago
- › 2016-2017 Four Corners (S.CO/AZ/NM) Weather Discussion 5 hours, 15 minutes ago
- › Colorado Winter Driving...is AWD enough? 5 hours, 31 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer