or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vail/ BC Week of March 21

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Hello all, I am new to EpicSki but not new to skiing. I ski mostly mid- atlantic with a trip to VT and out west on occasion. This years trip my friend and I booked a week at the Christine Lodge in Avon.

With the warming trend I am worried about the conditions at BC and Vail.

I plan to rent a car and will drive to A-Basin and Loveland if needed.

Can anyone offer their experiences with spring skiing in this region. Any tips and tricks/ encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Also has anyone skied Vail or BC recently? How are the conditions?

Thanks!
post #2 of 22

I skied Aspen Monday and the skiing was fantastic.  Ten days from now, it will be weather dependant.

 

You'll want to get up high and ski groomers first thing. Some Northern exposures may still hold some chalk.  Then start working the southeastern exposures thru south, ending the day on the west.

 

You should be fine.   I have at least two more trips planned and hopefully three.

post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 

Thanks this will my first time skiing Colorado, hoping for the best.

post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschuttman8 View Post

Hello all, I am new to EpicSki but not new to skiing. I ski mostly mid- atlantic with a trip to VT and out west on occasion. This years trip my friend and I booked a week at the Christine Lodge in Avon.

With the warming trend I am worried about the conditions at BC and Vail.

I plan to rent a car and will drive to A-Basin and Loveland if needed.

Can anyone offer their experiences with spring skiing in this region. Any tips and tricks/ encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Also has anyone skied Vail or BC recently? How are the conditions?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschuttman8 View Post
 

Thanks this will my first time skiing Colorado, hoping for the best.

Welcome to EpicSki!  I see you are in the Mid-Atlantic.  What do you consider your home mountain?  There are a couple of regional threads for the area.

 

Check out the ongoing thread for Colorado:

http://www.epicski.com/t/128588/2014-15-colorado-weather-discussion

post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post
 

I skied Aspen Monday and the skiing was fantastic.  Ten days from now, it will be weather dependant.

 

You'll want to get up high and ski groomers first thing. Some Northern exposures may still hold some chalk.  Then start working the southeastern exposures thru south, ending the day on the west.

 

You should be fine.   I have at least two more trips planned and hopefully three.


Crossing my fingers.  Going to Aspen for March 25-28 to use the MCP.

post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschuttman8 View Post


With the warming trend I am worried about the conditions at BC and Vail.

 

I wouldn't worry at all.  I'm at BC/Vail just about every year in late march for the last 20 years.  Conditions have always been great.  Worst case is refreeze events, but these typically thaw or are followed by new snow.  Driving to Abasin is always an option but I doubt you'll want to once you ski there.

post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 

I use to have a pass at Liberty Mountain (good at Whitetail and Round top) but more recently I have been skiing Whitetail although its further away. Thanks for the regional thread link, super informative. 

post #8 of 22
Thread Starter 

Since I am staying in Avon does everyone recommend I stay in the BC/Vail area for the week or venture out to Copper, Breck, A-Basin?I hear I need at least a few days in the back bowls at Vail.

post #9 of 22
You will be busy just getting around BC and Vail, which is huge. Make sure you find your way over to Blue Sky Basin.
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschuttman8 View Post
 

Since I am staying in Avon does everyone recommend I stay in the BC/Vail area for the week or venture out to Copper, Breck, A-Basin?I hear I need at least a few days in the back bowls at Vail.

Stay in BC/Vail for the week as conditions permit; not sure you'll be able to drive your way out of spring conditions in any case.  You can't do anything about the weather and nobody knows what its really going to be when they book a trip in advance.  Be ready for anything from mashed potato to frozen chickens to glare rocket ice to powder.  Don't forget death cookies left by the grooming machines either.  I'm going to CO the first week of April if it makes you feel better.

post #11 of 22
Thread Starter 

haha good analogy. I am just excited to go out, regardless of the conditions. Obviously I hope for cold and snow but either way I'll take what I can get. You never know the weather may change too!

post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschuttman8 View Post
 

I use to have a pass at Liberty Mountain (good at Whitetail and Round top) but more recently I have been skiing Whitetail although its further away. Thanks for the regional thread link, super informative. 


For future reference, there is also a regional thread for PA.  I have several friends who have Snowtime passes and ski Whitetail more than Liberty.

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/129720/pa-de-sonj-2014-2015-thread

 

Think snow!

post #13 of 22
Thread Starter 

Awesome I will subscribe to that regional thread.

post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by dschuttman8 View Post

 

I hear I need at least a few days in the back bowls at Vail.

The back bowls are great but you need to the weather will have a major impact on them since they face south.  In late march the bowls are much more likely to melt and refreeze.  If so, make sure you wait for the bowls to soften before you ski them.  The bowls do have a couple groomed runs, you can ski these anytime.  The groomed back bowl runs can also be used to access Blue Sky which faces north.

post #15 of 22

going to be in vail (most likely) from the 23-25th.

post #16 of 22
Thread Starter 

In that case I will definitely be spending a good amount of time over at the Blue Sky Basin.

post #17 of 22
Thread Starter 

OPfreak What type of skier are you? I am definitely willing to meet up with someone who would be willing to show me around the mountain.

post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschuttman8 View Post
 

OPfreak What type of skier are you? I am definitely willing to meet up with someone who would be willing to show me around the mountain.


I'm a snowboard ;-). Epicski forums have way more travel info then any snowboard forum I found.

 

I'm actually going to be taking lessons, but would be able to meet up for a run before or after. I'm a solid blue rider.

post #19 of 22
Thread Starter 

Sounds good, sent me a private message if you want to meet up for some runs out there. 

post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschuttman8 View Post
 

Sounds good, sent me a private message if you want to meet up for some runs out there. 


Just curious, did you have a good time?  I did :-)

post #21 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanvg View Post


Just curious, did you have a good time?  I did :-)
great time!

Skied 6 days 3 at vail one at bc one at breck and one at keystone. Conditions were great at breck and keystone. Vail was good on Wednesday with the fresh powder and te couple inches that fell Tuesday were great at bc. We skied 120,000 vertical combined. Overall great trip. Blue sky basin was my favorite. Thanks for asking!
post #22 of 22
Thread Starter 





Few photos
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel