or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Skiing News › The MAX Pass 2015-16 for Intrawest, Boyne, Powdr resorts (Killington, Tremblant, Big Sky, Steamboat, plus 18 more)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The MAX Pass 2015-16 for Intrawest, Boyne, Powdr resorts (Killington, Tremblant, Big Sky, Steamboat, plus 18 more)

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
Interesting new combo pass out this year. Nice combination of resorts for the skier who skis both east and west. I'll probably stick with just Mountain Collective, but this includes several places I ski and/or would like to ski.

https://www.themaxpass.com/
post #2 of 29
Just got that in email from snowshoe. Seems like a good price for someone that will do an east trip as well as one out west.
post #3 of 29

The M.A.X. Pass is a joint venture between Intrawest, Boyne, and Powdr.  M.A.X. is for Multi-Alpine Experience.  For Intrawest, it clearly replaces the Intrawest Passport 2014-15.  Sounds like Boyne will be changing their perks for season pass holders when it comes to what's offered at places like Big Sky for those who buy passes at Boyne resorts in the east and midwest.

 

The rules are complicated.  Definitely pays to read the FAQs slowly.  Someone who gets a MAX Pass can get 5 days at potentially all 22 places.

 

Here are the locations organized more or less by location:

 

Cypress, West Vancouver, BC

Crystal Mountain, Washington
The Summit at Snoqualmie, Washington
Mt Bachelor, Oregon

Big Sky, Montana

Boreal Mountain Resort, California
Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard Resort, Nevada

Brighton Resort, Utah
Copper Mountain, Colorado
Steamboat, Colorado
Winter Park, Colorado

Boyne Highlands, Michigan
Boyne Mountain, Michigan

Blue Mountain, Ontario, Canada
Tremblant, Quebec, Canada

Killington, Vermont
Pico Mountain, Vermont
Stratton, Vermont
Loon Mountain, New Hampshire
Sugarloaf, Maine
Sunday River, Maine

Snowshoe, West Virginia

 
 
post #4 of 29

Unofficial Networks compares the M.A.X. Pass to the Vail Epic Pass.

 

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2015/03/new-m-a-x-pass-goes-toe-to-toe-with-vails-epic-pass

 

The structure of the M.A.X. Pass reminds me of the Powder Alliance, which provides 2 days at 13 resorts in the western U.S.  Snowbasin, Bridger Bowl, and Crested Butte may be the best know ski areas in the Powder Alliance.  No extra fee, just need to buy a premium season pass at one of the participating places.

post #5 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioskier View Post

Just got that in email from snowshoe. Seems like a good price for someone that will do an east trip as well as one out west.


Did you notice that someone with a season pass at Snowshoe cannot do the $249 Add-on to get the MAX Pass?  The list for the pass holders in the east who can upgrade includes:

  • Blue Mountain Super Pass 
  • Killington Unlimited Pass
  • New England Gold Plus Pass - Boyne
  • New England Gold Pass - Boyne
  • New England Graduate Pass - Boyne
  • New England Silver Pass - Boyne
  • Stratton Summit Pass
  • Stratton Spirit Pass 
  • Tremblant Unlimited Pass
  • M.A.X. Pass Adult Add-On (ages 18 and up): $249 USD
  • M.A.X. Pass Teen Add-On (ages 13-17): $199 USD
  • M.A.X. Pass Youth Add-On (ages 6-12): $149 USD
  • M.A.X. Pass Child Add-On (ages 5 years and under): $29 USD
post #6 of 29
@marznc I just got spam mail on pass but figured that as it was offered at full retail. Snowshoe passes are so cheap anyway offering that as an addon makes no sense. I will say my best ski pass value is snowshoe pass with kids getting $10 season pass and other resort agreements.
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioskier View Post

@marznc I just got spam mail on pass but figured that as it was offered at full retail. Snowshoe passes are so cheap anyway offering that as an addon makes no sense. I will say my best ski pass value is snowshoe pass with kids getting $10 season pass and other resort agreements.


Aah, never paid any attention to the price of a Snowshoe season pass.  Too long a drive from to make it worth getting the pass given that I ski out west too.  Didn't realize the price is only $329 with the possibility of the Ridiculous price of around $200.  I assume the other Intrawest passes that qualify for the Add-on to MAX are at least $500.

post #8 of 29
So a Sugarloaf gold season pass is more than a grand and you pay another $250 to ski at 21 other resorts a maximum of five days? That's "competition" for the Epic pass? I don't think so.
post #9 of 29
Sugarloaf is 650 ish and the MAX upgrade is 250 there too. I only know because I get junk email from them.

MAX makes sense in limited situations. If you are getting an Eastern pass anyway and plan to go anywhere else in the group. If you are planning to ski enough days at several places.

Back before I started taking so many Western trips I would have been all over this.
post #10 of 29

Why is unofficial comparing between MAX and Epic? Seems to me MAX is structured more like the Mountain collective. Both are limited days in each resort. 

 

Epic, on the other hand, are a true "season's pass", in that you can ski the whole season without spending an extra penny! Those two are hardly "toe-to-toe". More like apples and oranges. 

post #11 of 29

I think Mountain Collective is a better thought out product.  It gets people (well, from our admittedly skewed sample) to visit a lot more places, and enticing them to buy 1/2 price days.  The MAX seems to have been (to me, anyway) structured more to appeal to the people running the member resorts than to the customers.  The higher price limits the canibalization of existing season pass or incidental (a few days) day ticket purchases.

 

From a customer's point of view, MAX is midway between a MCP and an Epic pass.  The 2 days of the MCP is not enough for most visits, but the 5 days of the MAX is.  If you are visiting from far away, 5 days might as well be a season pass.  (I do more than 5 on each visit, but I am hardly representative.)

post #12 of 29

Its still an interesting concept but it makes for some creative accounting to make it worth while at $699.00. 

post #13 of 29

Intrawest had something called the Intrawest Passport in 2014-15.  Same concept as the M.A.X. Pass.  Essentially an add-on perk for families who were going to get a season pass at an Intrawest ski resort.  As I remember, the cost for kids was very low and could buy a Passport for an adult friend who wasn't a member of the family for a good price.

 

Have heard of folks who are considering adding on the MAX Pass because they intend to go to the other places in the northeast.  For instance, someone who gets a MAX Pass at Tremblant (Intrawest) could drive to VT or ME.  Or a Boyne pass holder could go to Tremblant.

 

Killington, Vermont
Pico Mountain, Vermont
Stratton, Vermont
Loon Mountain, New Hampshire
Sugarloaf, Maine
Sunday River, Maine

 

The MAX Pass reminds me of the Powder Alliance, which includes Snowbasin, Bridger, and Crested Butte.  All the Powder Alliance places are out west.  Premium pass holders get a few free days at the other places.  There were 13 ski areas included for 2014-15.

post #14 of 29

Our home hill in the East is Sugarloaf. We're not there over Christmas, nor during the Feb school vacation weekends, when it's very busy. Since our kids are grown {and both living in CO}, we buy Silver passes, with the blackout dates. We'll hopefully ski about 35 days next season at Sugarloaf. That's $685. 

 

My brother is in Steamboat. We have one adult child in Denver, another is a full time coach in the Rockies. We'll buy the Max pass, and get in the full 15 days in at Steamboat, WP, and Copper. We'll also do a three day weekend at Stratton to catch up with friends. 18 days for $250…..not bad. We might also make a short trip to Big Sky {and TYC}; friends at both spots.

 

A few of our friends are discussing a trip to Tremblant, which might be fun. Would be nice, after spending a lot of days there as race parent, to actually ski! So, in our case, this could work out to be close to 30 days for the $250 add-on price. Wow. 

 

We'll likely ski for 4-5 days at Vail. At the worst, we'll buy early on line there. If we didn't have family at Steamboat, and skiing at WP, we might be inclined to buy an Epic pass. If it looks like we're going to spend more time in Vail, we will anyways. Vail Resorts comp's nobody, HaHa. Not near the top of my value list, but we have a number of friends there. 

 

For our somewhat unusual needs, the Max Pass will really work. I'm in a situation where I can probably get comp'd at each of the MaxPass resorts for a day or two anyways, if we ski more than 5 {which we will at a couple}. And when you're skiing for close to $10 a day….buying a few day tickets is not a big deal, to say the least. 

 

Pretty excited about this deal. 

post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
 

Its still an interesting concept but it makes for some creative accounting to make it worth while at $699.00. 

 

Well, that's from someone who's used to western season pass prices, which are LOW in relationship to day ticket prices at the window - i.e., they are very high value for money. As has been discussed here several times, season passes in the east are much more expensive for what you get. For example, Saddleback day tickets are $59.00 except on Saturdays, but the season pass is $825.00 (!).  Part of it is that there is a lot of competition for young singles and family day trippers trying to cut costs, but most of the people who buy season passes are more or less gonna do it no matter what. They're a semi-captive audience. For instance, people who own camps or second homes near the mountain are going to buy the season pass almost regardless of price. Anyway, the point is that $699 doesn't seem like that much to me in this context.

post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson View Post

So a Sugarloaf gold season pass is more than a grand and you pay another $250 to ski at 21 other resorts a maximum of five days? That's "competition" for the Epic pass? I don't think so.

 

Well, maybe not for the Loaf, but here in the mitten the idea of $900 for unlimited skiing at both Boynes plus a week of "free" skiing at a number of other places stacks up very well against the Epic pass.

 

Seems to me that both  passes allow you to buy a pass at your local hill and then get a bunch of days at your choice of destination resorts for your annual week long trip.

 

For the local part, Mt Brighton vs Boyne Mt AND Boyne Highlands is not a tough call.

post #17 of 29

We got the Intrawest Passport this season and it worked out extremely well for us. Problem I see with this MAX Pass is that it's considerably more expensive than the Intrawest Passport.  As it stands, it'll now cost me TWICE as much as the Passport did.  And what do I get?  A few more areas which we would have to travel to, in order to even consider it. So I'd have to spend a lot more money on the pass, in order to spend even more money traveling to places on the pass. :confused

 

To be honest, that's outrageous in my mind.

 

Will be passing on this for next year.

post #18 of 29

I have already bought a MCP and I am ready to pull the trigger on a MAX Pass Add-On. I will purchase a senior pass from Cypress for $279CDN and then the MAX Add-On for $249US

 

On the way to the Aspen Gathering I will stop at Sun Valley for 2 days, then 2 at Alta/Bird on a MCP and 5 days at Brighton with MAX. After Aspen there would be a total of 15 MAX days available at Winter Park, Steamboat and Copper. Then 2 Jackson Hole days and a visit to Big Sky for 5 days and then 2 days in Banff on MCP on the way home. It should be a 4-6 week trip depending on ski conditions.

 

In late April a 2 day visit to Whistler on MCP and 5 days each at Crystal and Mt. Bachelor should be a good way to end the season. 

 

All in all MCP and Cypress pass plus MAX Add-On deliver pretty good value from 2 passes for less than $1000. And I probably won't even ski Cypress.

post #19 of 29

Are people in the east more likely to think the MAX Pass is worthwhile?  The places are more within reasonable driving distance.  With one trip out west, seems pretty easy to get your money's worth.  Especially if have kids. 

 

post #20 of 29

Here's nifty twist:  

 

You can buy a Copper Pass for $399 and get the Max Pass add on for $249, so both for $648.  Nice savings off the $699 for the Max Pass itself, and you get unlimited days at Copper!

 

It's a similar deal if you buy a Winter Park Pass for nine bucks more at $409.

 

Do any of the other Max Pass areas have full season passes less than $450 that make that add-on cheaper as well?   I'm guessing this is just an strange benefit of living in the land of cheap passes.  :D 

post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by at_nyc View Post
 

Why is unofficial comparing between MAX and Epic? Seems to me MAX is structured more like the Mountain collective. Both are limited days in each resort. 

 

Epic, on the other hand, are a true "season's pass", in that you can ski the whole season without spending an extra penny! Those two are hardly "toe-to-toe". More like apples and oranges. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
 

Its still an interesting concept but it makes for some creative accounting to make it worth while at $699.00. 

 

Rather than looking at the $699 price for the max pass. Consider getting a season pass at one of the resort and then buy the Max pass add on for $249.

DanoT shows how it is done on post #18 on the cheap.

 

For the coming season, I'm getting the RMSP+ for $539, the Max pass add on for $249 for a total of $788. About the same as an Epic Pass. 

The RMSP+ is basically operates as an unlimited season pass at Copper, Winter Park & Eldora. The other Max pass areas are just additional road trip material.    

 

The Max pass allows me to roam a bit early season in the NE at no extra cost before I head out west after the new year. 

I also have a Taos pass to hedge against the El Niño predictions.  

    

This is shaping up to be the Mother of all road trip.  :D

post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerbob View Post
 

We got the Intrawest Passport this season and it worked out extremely well for us. Problem I see with this MAX Pass is that it's considerably more expensive than the Intrawest Passport.  As it stands, it'll now cost me TWICE as much as the Passport did.  And what do I get?  A few more areas which we would have to travel to, in order to even consider it. So I'd have to spend a lot more money on the pass, in order to spend even more money traveling to places on the pass. :confused

 

To be honest, that's outrageous in my mind.

 

Will be passing on this for next year.

 I had the Intrawest Passport last year and it saved me quite a bit of money. The nice part of the Intrawest passport was you paid full price for one then added on members at a reduced price. When the MAX Pass first came out I honestly thought it worked the same way. I wasn't happy to learn the add-on price was only for certain season pass holders home mountains. I actually had several phone calls with Intrawest telling them that they will lose business because I won't be taking my family to only Intrawest owned mountains this winter. I did buy one for myself at $649 and will easily come out on top with 20 plus days of skiing for myself. But family ski vacations will be elsewhere.

post #23 of 29

So far, most of the people I know who got the M.A.X. Pass live in the northeast and are planning a trip to Big Sky or Steamboat.  Any other reason to get one?

 

Noticed the price went up to $719 after starting at $699.  Anyone know if they are likely to stop selling it completely?

post #24 of 29

I bought a Cypress Mtn seniors pass last spring along with a Max Pass add on and even though they said that they mailed the pass to me on Oct 16, I have yet to receive it.

 

Has anyone got their Max Pass in the mail yet? Or does it come by courier?

 

Edit: I just got back from picking up my mail and low and behold there in the mailbox is my Max Pass.:yahoo: Also the fall issue of Ski Canada magazine with "Whistler vs. Vail Who's Better" as the cover story arrived today. Whistler isn't even my favourite mountain in Canada but I already know the answer to WB vs. Vail. I will read the article anyway.


Edited by DanoT - 10/30/15 at 2:19pm
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
 

I bought a Cypress Mtn seniors pass last spring along with a Max Pass add on and even though they said that they mailed the pass to me on Oct 16, I have yet to receive it.

 

Has anyone got their Max Pass in the mail yet? Or does it come by courier?

 

Edit: I just got back from picking up my mail and low and behold there in the mailbox is my Max Pass.:yahoo: Also the fall issue of Ski Canada magazine with "Whistler vs. Vail Who's Better" as the cover story arrived today. Whistler isn't even my favourite mountain in Canada but I already know the answer to WB vs. Vail. I will read the article anyway.

Dano, you guys getting any snow yet?  Skiff at Lookout but only on top.

post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete No. Idaho View Post
 

Dano, you guys getting any snow yet?  Skiff at Lookout but only on top.

I posted a pic from Sun Peaks' web cam on the PNW weather thread, or go to the SP web cam. I think they are saying 12cm at Mid mountain but with snow making if it stays cold they probably will have race training starting mid Nov. and they are planning on a limited public opening Nov.21. Hopefully a staff opening on Nov. 20.

 

I will be leaving Victoria, B.C. for Sun Peaks one week from now.

post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
 

I posted a pic from Sun Peaks' web cam on the PNW weather thread, or go to the SP web cam. I think they are saying 12cm at Mid mountain but with snow making if it stays cold they probably will have race training starting mid Nov. and they are planning on a limited public opening Nov.21. Hopefully a staff opening on Nov. 20.

 

I will be leaving Victoria, B.C. for Sun Peaks one week from now.

Thanks, saw it right after I posted .   Ordered 2000 Honda today.

post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete No. Idaho View Post
 

Thanks, saw it right after I posted .   Ordered 2000 Honda today.

 

Today I heard an ad on a Bellingham WA radio station from Hardware Sales hardware store for the Honda 2000 gen set for $1099.

post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 

Noticed the price went up to $719 after starting at $699.

Price is $749 on 12/05/15.  Not sure when the price went up.

 

For comparison, the MCP is $440 as of early Dec 2015.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Skiing News
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Skiing News › The MAX Pass 2015-16 for Intrawest, Boyne, Powdr resorts (Killington, Tremblant, Big Sky, Steamboat, plus 18 more)