or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Skiing News › Mountain Collective 2015/16 [11 destinations, including Aspen, Stowe, Taos, Sun Valley, . . .]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mountain Collective 2015/16 [11 destinations, including Aspen, Stowe, Taos, Sun Valley, . . .]  

post #1 of 285
Thread Starter 

Just got that on my email, still the 3rd day deal and Sun Valley now part of the destination resorts!

 

We've added a destination! Sun Valley joins the Mountain Collective for 2015-16. 
Open since 1936, Sun Valley is America's first destination ski resort and was named the #3 Overall Resort by SKI Magazine in 2014. As the newest member of the Mountain Collective, Sun Valley offers pass holders an additional 2,000 acres of skiing across Bald and Dollar Mountains and an iconic experience that is as unpretentious and pristine as the mountains and rivers that surround it. Act now for a bonus third day at the destination of your choice.

 



The Power to Own Your Winter
One Pass. Eight iconic destinations. Two days at each. Plus dozens of lodging deals. Don't wait another day. The greatest mountains in the world are calling. 

  • 16 Total Days
  • 2 Days at Each Destination
  • 50% off Additional Days
  • No Blackout Dates
  • Exclusive Mountain Collective Lodging Offers
  • $99 Kid Pass

 

 

price is still 369, I believe that was last year's price, but can't remember

post #2 of 285

With addition of Sun Valley, that makes 8 destinations, potentially 12 different ski resorts (not counting Norquay):

  • Jackson Hole
  • Aspen/Snowmass
  • Alta/Snowbird
  • Mammoth
  • Squaw/Alpine Meadows
  • Whistler/Blackcomb
  • Lake Louise/Sunshine Village/Norquay
  • Sun Valley

 

Last year the initial price was $359 and included the 3rd day at a specific destination.  That was in March and by late April the price was $369.

post #3 of 285
Thread Starter 

So $10 bucks more, still a great deal. I usually have a chance to use a lot the 50% at Alta/Bird after the first 2 free days. and since I live in Boise I can see myself using a lot sun valley, I believe most of the liftopia deals are around $75, so it would save me ~$20 bucks, not bad.

 

With some of the good deals around MCP still saves you some money as well as a lot of work looking for discounted lift tickets. 

post #4 of 285
I think the only common deals that are better than MCP are packages that give discounted lift tickets with lodging. But there are so many frustrating exclusions and special conditions that I have mostly given up on those.

Plus, buying the pass now makes it a sunk cost. Then it is ppsychologically easier to spend on airfare and lodging next year.
post #5 of 285

One feature of the MCP that I haven't found useful is the lodging discounts.  Too many restrictions.  Plus can usually do better for comparable lodging with a little digging.  At least, that's what I found for JH a couple seasons ago.  Especially since there is no need for discounted lift tickets.

post #6 of 285

http://mountaincollective.com

 

Offer as of 3/10/15 for 2015-16 season.  $99 for kids with the purchase of an adult MCP.  Also 2 days at Valle Nevado in Chile.  Info for picking up the MCP pass at each destination now on the website.

 

post #7 of 285

Sun Valley is a very nice addition for those living in the PNW, Eastern WA, Idaho, Western Montana and B.C. and Alberta. Sun Valley to Alta/Bird to Aspen to Jackson Hole makes a very nice circuit. And for me, Lake Louise/Sunshine is on the way home.

post #8 of 285
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
 

Sun Valley is a very nice addition for those living in the PNW, Eastern WA, Idaho, Western Montana and B.C. and Alberta. Sun Valley to Alta/Bird to Aspen to Jackson Hole makes a very nice circuit. And for me, Lake Louise/Sunshine is on the way home.

to add to that I've been wishing they add Red Mountain / Kicking Horse / Revelstoke! Another close by resort in this rockies' roadtrip!

post #9 of 285

Sun Valley is a nice addition to the MCP.  I've been looking for an excuse to return there.  Not too far from my inlaws, and the mountain is way more fun than Pomerelle or Soldier Mtn.

post #10 of 285
I get to Boise for work a bit - looking forward to putting SV back in rotation - first ever slide on two planks over on Dollar. Lodge re-done = winning. Plus, Ketchum is cool.
post #11 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by givethepigeye View Post

I get to Boise for work a bit - looking forward to putting SV back in rotation - first ever slide on two planks over on Dollar. Lodge re-done = winning. Plus, Ketchum is cool.

Ketchum may be cool, but Bellevue isn't.  Worst speed trap in Idaho (well, maybe that's Georgetown)....

 

http://archives.mtexpress.com/2003/03-07-16/03-07-16eddriving.htm

post #12 of 285
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDog View Post
 

Ketchum may be cool, but Bellevue isn't.  Worst speed trap in Idaho (well, maybe that's Georgetown)....

 

http://archives.mtexpress.com/2003/03-07-16/03-07-16eddriving.htm

There are 2 or 3 speed traps once you get close to Sun Valley that you have to be careful, I hate these places... they force you to go 25 since the road goes right at the middle at the city, and there are schools right there. I always see cops around!

 

Other than these places, I've never seen a single cop. I always drive I84 -> US 20 -> ID 75. THe last leg ID-75 is the issue, pretty much desert once you leave the I84 all the way to the "speed trap" small towns.

post #13 of 285

I am thinking of pulling the trigger soon for the MCP next year due to the extra day.  I'm tentatively planning a ski trip for the 2nd week of Christmas break and figure I'll get the 3rd day for wherever we decide to go on that trip.  

 

Question for EpicSki: which location should I get the extra day for a vacation that week?  I think my biggest priority is going the place that features the cheapest lodging (I know this is a relative term for that time of year), probably in Aspen, Mammoth (where we are going this spring break), or Jackson Hole (where we have enjoyed vacations in the summer)?  

 

Other details: I have 3 little kids who would spend some time in ski school and with me one-on-one. My wife does not ski due to some previous injuries (not ski-related) that she does not want to risk having again but she's a good sport about going for a winter vacation. I'd like to keep the vacation in a town that's sort of quaint so that it appeals to her (hence AltaBird is probably out, and Tahoe).  My favorite skiing is ungroomed black runs, which means pretty much any of the MCP locations appeal to me.

post #14 of 285
Mammoth is your closest Big mountain. I'm guessing you'll spend the most days there..plus I might get one too and maybe we can do some turns together ☺
post #15 of 285

The town of Jackson has the cheapest winter accommodation because in the summer it is the gateway to Yellowstone Park. For example the $46 room in the Motel6 in winter becomes $199 in summer.

 

Jackson is also a pretty good town for wandering around and window shopping.

 

Non skiing activities include guided snowmobile tours.

post #16 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
 

The town of Jackson has the cheapest winter accommodation because in the summer it is the gateway to Yellowstone Park. For example the $46 room in the Motel6 in winter becomes $199 in summer.

 

Jackson is also a pretty good town for wandering around and window shopping.

 

Non skiing activities include guided snowmobile tours.


Lots of VRBO options near JH if a condo with a full kitchen is of interest.  Especially if you look around and book well before Thanksgiving.  Of course, Christmas vacation prices will be higher than mid-season.  Could also check out package deals from either JH or even Grand Targhee.  The beginner/teaching area of GT is set up well for kids, especially if they are ready to play in easy trees.

 

The National Museum of Wildlife Art in Jackson is worth a visit for someone who has any interest in paintings or sculpture.

post #17 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
 

The town of Jackson has the cheapest winter accommodation because in the summer it is the gateway to Yellowstone Park. For example the $46 room in the Motel6 in winter becomes $199 in summer.

 

Jackson is also a pretty good town for wandering around and window shopping.

 

Non skiing activities include guided snowmobile tours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 


Lots of VRBO options near JH if a condo with a full kitchen is of interest.  Especially if you look around and book well before Thanksgiving.  Of course, Christmas vacation prices will be higher than mid-season.  Could also check out package deals from either JH or even Grand Targhee.  The beginner/teaching area of GT is set up well for kids, especially if they are ready to play in easy trees.

 

The National Museum of Wildlife Art in Jackson is worth a visit for someone who has any interest in paintings or sculpture.

 

Thanks, guys.  When we've stayed there in the summer we camped in the park.  I'm sort of new to the better accommodations but this sounds appealing.  

post #18 of 285
Thread Starter 

I got my 3rd day for Jackson this season and will probably get for Jackson again, it's the most expensive window ticket when compared to the places I usually go... I'd say it doesn't make much difference assuming you plan on doing at least more than 2 days on each destination, sometimes long trips don't come cheap so you wanna do a few days of skiing. If you plan to go to Aspen that might be a good idea as well since their window price is pretty high as well

post #19 of 285

Anybody know how long they offer that "3rd Day Free" deal?

post #20 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by river-z View Post
 

Anybody know how long they offer that "3rd Day Free" deal?


Last year the bonus 3rd day was still available during the second stage in April and May.  It was gone when sales started up again in mid-August.  Price for adult MCP seems to go up $10 at each stage.  Last season the kid price stayed at $99, and requires buying at least one adult MCP.  No way to know exactly what will happen this time.

post #21 of 285

So I know this is pretty early, but I'm planning on attending the gathering at Aspen next year, and hopefully taking another trip as well - but to who knows where, dependent on a group of folks deciding. 

 

So I was thinking I could buy the MCP, at least use it for a few days in Aspen (4 days in Aspen and you come out ahead assuming you get the bonus day there), and hopefully use it somewhere else too. 

 

Any idea when the dates of the gathering get announced? If it's not soon, I'll probably just go ahead and chance it and make sure I get the bonus third day at Aspen. 

post #22 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
 

So I know this is pretty early, but I'm planning on attending the gathering at Aspen next year, and hopefully taking another trip as well - but to who knows where, dependent on a group of folks deciding. 

 

So I was thinking I could buy the MCP, at least use it for a few days in Aspen (4 days in Aspen and you come out ahead assuming you get the bonus day there), and hopefully use it somewhere else too. 

 

Any idea when the dates of the gathering get announced? If it's not soon, I'll probably just go ahead and chance it and make sure I get the bonus third day at Aspen. 


I wouldn't wait for the Aspen Gathering dates before buying the MCP.  Especially if you want to get the bonus day.  Final decision might not come until early fall.

 

For 2014-15 I got the bonus day at Aspen because I had another reason to be in Denver in March.  Since there are three mountains, I knew I'd want to ski there at least 3 days to check out Snowmass, Aspen, and Highlands.

post #23 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 


I wouldn't wait for the Aspen Gathering dates before buying the MCP.  Especially if you want to get the bonus day.  Final decision might not come until early fall.

 

For 2014-15 I got the bonus day at Aspen because I had another reason to be in Denver in March.  Since there are three mountains, I knew I'd want to ski there at least 3 days to check out Snowmass, Aspen, and Highlands.

We haven't set the exact dates, but I can tell you the plan is to go into the gap between the end of the X-Games (mid or late January) and the February school vacation week.

The bonus day makes the break-even really easy to reach. I plan to buy mine soon.

post #24 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gathermeister View Post
 

We haven't set the exact dates, but I can tell you the plan is to go into the gap between the end of the X-Games (mid or late January) and the February school vacation week.

The bonus day makes the break-even really easy to reach. I plan to buy mine soon.

 

Thank you Mr. or Mrs. Gathermeister! Hope to meet you at the gathering - I just bought my MCP, and I'm getting excited way too early for next season already. :yahoo:

post #25 of 285
^
Trigger pulled on the 15-16 Mountain Collective Pass. 3rd day at Mammoth since it is close enough to home to make day trips.
Hope I get up to use the pass at the newly added Sun Valley since I haven't skied there before.
post #26 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gathermeister View Post
 

We haven't set the exact dates, but I can tell you the plan is to go into the gap between the end of the X-Games (mid or late January) and the February school vacation week.

The bonus day makes the break-even really easy to reach. I plan to buy mine soon.

 

Just an FYI:  XGames are very late next year 1/28-31/2016. 

It may be difficult to get a deal on accomadations and flights during that time, but crowds on the hill are never an issue. 

Febuary is probably my favorite month to ski Aspen and I don't think I'd worry about school vacations.

post #27 of 285
^^^

School vacations can be a big deal for several reasons beyond crowds on the hill. One is that airlines know all about these weeks and are quick to capitalize shamelessly. Fares from the northeast typically double or triple during the February Presidents' week when kids here are all (except New Hampshire) out of school. Any NE parent who has tried to plan a trip with kids during that week can testify to this phenomenon.
post #28 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post

^^^

School vacations can be a big deal for several reasons beyond crowds on the hill. One is that airlines know all about these weeks and are quick to capitalize shamelessly. Fares from the northeast typically double or triple during the February Presidents' week when kids here are all (except New Hampshire) out of school. Any NE parent who has tried to plan a trip with kids during that week can testify to this phenomenon.

Very true.  Frequent flyer awards are nearly impossible to get as well.

There are enough of us -- NY, MA, CT, RI, VT, ME have the whole week off -- to make our own crowds.

(We went on a cruise one Feb school vacation.  Passengers from other parts of the country kept asking, "Where did all these kids come from?")

 

Enough parents are pulling kids from school to avoid the crowds that the issues are spreading a couple of days into the surrounding weeks.

 

One thing I'm not clear on, is whether returning to New England at the beginning of school vacation (a reverse commute, essentially) is feasible.

post #29 of 285

I guess I should start a Gathering thread.  But we are talking here, now, so ...

 

The late X-Games narrow our window.  Last year room prices were still high the day after the X-Games ended (Monday).

In addition to the states that have the week off, almost everyone gets Presidents' Day itself off, which makes that a long-weekend with more difficult travel for everyone.

 

So the situation is something like this:

post #30 of 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post

^^^

School vacations can be a big deal for several reasons beyond crowds on the hill. One is that airlines know all about these weeks and are quick to capitalize shamelessly. Fares from the northeast typically double or triple during the February Presidents' week when kids here are all (except New Hampshire) out of school. Any NE parent who has tried to plan a trip with kids during that week can testify to this phenomenon.

Very true.  Frequent flyer awards are nearly impossible to get as well.

There are enough of us -- NY, MA, CT, RI, VT, ME have the whole week off -- to make our own crowds.

(We went on a cruise one Feb school vacation.  Passengers from other parts of the country kept asking, "Where did all these kids come from?")

 

Enough parents are pulling kids from school to avoid the crowds that the issues are spreading a couple of days into the surrounding weeks.

 

One thing I'm not clear on, is whether returning to New England at the beginning of school vacation (a reverse commute, essentially) is feasible.

I have a vague memory that when I looked at SW airfares in early Feb (2014-15 season) when I decided to extend my trip that fares Tue-Thu the week before Pres Day weekend were as good as the week before.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Skiing News
This thread is locked  
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Skiing News › Mountain Collective 2015/16 [11 destinations, including Aspen, Stowe, Taos, Sun Valley, . . .]