or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2016 Head Monster 88 - Page 3

post #61 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by markojp View Post

Tip to tail skier? You move your CoM ahead of your feet? Like smooth, damp, and stable? Head. Mount them +1.5~2. Like stable but not as damp? A ski that can be pretty easily pivoted as well and driven when necessary? Brahma. Two nice arrows. The choice is up to the preferences of 'feel' preferred by the Indian.

A very interesting point. Are you saying that the Brahma would suit a more "park and ride" style, or is there something in between you are thinking of?

post #62 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterburn View Post

A very interesting point. Are you saying that the Brahma would suit a more "park and ride" style, or is there something in between you are thinking of?

Whiteroom sums the Brahma up nicely here:

" I would say skis like the Brahma (relatively 'normal' sidecut with moderate tip and tail rocker) have a dual personality. It is what gives them very differing 'reviews' on sites like Epicski, we all ski different. If you ski with lower edge angles, they are easy to steer and pivot but don't pull you into the turn or have a lot of energy at turn completion (great in bumps and trees)... but if you generate a lot of edge angle early, they behave like a fully cambered ski for the most part, the rocker doesn't diminish the stability or the energy (great on firm groomers). If you are looking for a versatile all-mountain ski for 50% groomed 50% ungroomed then the Brahma could be an excellent choice. If you don't ski off trail or in moguls and stability at speed and energy from rebound is a priority, then there might be better choices."
post #63 of 69
Does the M88 ski similar to the Rossi Exp 88. I know the exp88 doesn't have metal like the M88 does,but speaking solely about the sidecut they seem similar and wonder if they ski similar.

I was on the exp88 demo last yr and with the extended rocker the tips forced the ski to engage really quickly and get on edge. Since the M88 appears to be similar I was wondering if I could expect the same?
post #64 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck RNB View Post

Does the M88 ski similar to the Rossi Exp 88. I know the exp88 doesn't have metal like the M88 does,but speaking solely about the sidecut they seem similar and wonder if they ski similar.

I was on the exp88 demo last yr and with the extended rocker the tips forced the ski to engage really quickly and get on edge. Since the M88 appears to be similar I was wondering if I could expect the same?

The Monster 88 feels very different to me, it has a much more 'traditional' feel. The rocker is less pronounced, much more subtle than the Exp88. 

post #65 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck RNB View Post

Does the M88 ski similar to the Rossi Exp 88. I know the exp88 doesn't have metal like the M88 does,but speaking solely about the sidecut they seem similar and wonder if they ski similar.

I was on the exp88 demo last yr and with the extended rocker the tips forced the ski to engage really quickly and get on edge. Since the M88 appears to be similar I was wondering if I could expect the same?


No. Not at all. The E88 is turny. It's a bit skittish at speed when pressed hard by bigger skiers. The monster has a longer design turn radius, two sheets of metal, a rounded tail, etc...  think 'smooth, solid, powerful'. Much closer to the E-100 in general feel. 

post #66 of 69

"hope for fat skis"

I tried this one in a bit of fresh, on and off piste; at Whistler last spring. Length was 'appropriate' (means i forgot what length ). For decades I've skied every day... with the boys. I hate giving up 'race' performance in wider skis and when you get much over 80mm under foot; ski performance turns into an unresponsive Meh.
I was really surprised because this Monster had a really decent GS feel. A great mix of edge-grip and control let me trust it so I forgot how wide it actually was ! This nice mix of variable arc and slip combines with good damping- without feeling heavy... Where am I going with this ?

Versatile !! If you only have one pair skis or if you are not sure where you and the boys are skiing today; grab this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-force View Post
 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YFjUnV2JNA

 

Just to bring the thread back to This Ski and comments by those who have skied it... This guy has... and he sure looks like he is riding a ski that has few compromises.

If you watch this guy ski you get a great indication of how this ski works... if you can ski at this level. 

Anyone got a similar vid for a Brahma ?

post #67 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-force View Post

"hope for fat skis"
I tried this one in a bit of fresh, on and off piste; at Whistler last spring. Length was 'appropriate' (means i forgot what length ). For decades I've skied every day... with the boys. I hate giving up 'race' performance in wider skis and when you get much over 80mm under foot; ski performance turns into an unresponsive Meh.

I was really surprised because this Monster had a really decent GS feel. A great mix of edge-grip and control let me trust it so I forgot how wide it actually was ! This nice mix of variable arc and slip combines with good damping- without feeling heavy... Where am I going with this ?
Versatile !! If you only have one pair skis or if you are not sure where you and the boys are skiing today; grab this one.
If you watch this guy ski you get a great indication of how this ski works... if you can ski at this level. 
Anyone got a similar vid for a Brahma ?

Honestly, the two skis aren't comparable for me. I've never connected with the brahma.. It feels 'tinney' and sort of rattle-y. The 180 is fun, but too short. The 187 is stable, but not all that fun. Im an outlier though. Most folks love the Brahma. The Monster is just smooth like butter on hot pancakes.
post #68 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck RNB View Post

Does the M88 ski similar to the Rossi Exp 88. I know the exp88 doesn't have metal like the M88 does,but speaking solely about the sidecut they seem similar and wonder if they ski similar.

I was on the exp88 demo last yr and with the extended rocker the tips forced the ski to engage really quickly and get on edge. Since the M88 appears to be similar I was wondering if I could expect the same?

 

Kinda-sorta-not really

 

The EXP88 is poorly tuned out of the box, so make sure you add $60 to the purchase price to dial it in! The EXP is a great ski, supple, big sweet spot, average stability at least, easy to turn in bumps and trees, versatile. The Monster has metal, so it feels snappier at the tail, more engaging at the tip-in point, a bit more exciting when on edge.  Sweet spot is similar. I would say the EXP88 is a tad "mellower" without being a softie.  And it is ever so slightly more forgiving when back on the tail.  

 

I would say the Monster 88 is for a slightly more technically oriented skier (either a better skier skill-wise or someone wanting to develop those skills) vs the EXP88, as it can feel just a bit more vague.  I also wouldn't expect the Rossi to hold up as well; not having metal, it's core is likely to break down a bit more quickly.  But I really like the Rossi for a lot of skiers.  Just feel that the 88 offers a bit better feel and value 

post #69 of 69

Wow, I had a very different impression of the M88 when I demoed it at the end of last season. It was the first ski I demoed and I really expected to love it. And I did like it, just not as much as I thought, and not as much as the Brahma.

 

The thing it lacked for me was energy out of the turn. It had a very damp, dead feel to it. There was no drama, but also no excitement for me with this ski. I can only say it was TOO damp.

 

The Brahma on the other hand, had some nice snap out of the turns, was very maneuverable and easy to pivot in bumps and off piste, yet still had very good high speed stability. Pretty much everything I'm looking in a 88 under foot ski. I prefer to spend most of my time off-piste, so that may have factored in. I liked it enough to pickup a pair last year as a future replacement for my Elan 888.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Gear Reviews